RC Perspective

Tamiya PS paint on wheels?

I did search on the forum, but didn't go through all 3,266 pages of results admittedly.

I believe this is possible as long as a TS paint is used as a "primer". Just looking for confirmation.

It's a birthday month for me so I'm having to pinch pennies.

Basically, I've got Tamiya white 5-spoke wheel inserts. I'm thinking of hitting it with TS Black, then PS Metallic Red, and flat clear.

This should work no?

-RC Perspective

Edited by RC Perspective
Clarified Tamiya Inserts.

I've tried PS on Tamiya's cockpit helmets. Not sure if it's the same plastic.

Tamiya's White Primer was used first, followed by PS-34 Bright Red. Paint adhesion was really good. The finish was satin-like which looked great but since the objective was to get it shiny, two coats of TS-13 Clear followed. The end result was as if the PS was TS.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

I've tried PS on Tamiya's cockpit helmets. Not sure if it's the same plastic.

Tamiya's White Primer was used first, followed by PS-34 Bright Red. Paint adhesion was really good. The finish was satin-like which looked great but since the objective was to get it shiny, two coats of TS-13 Clear followed. The end result was as if the PS was TS.

I'm pretty sure it'll work, as the TS paints are made to "etch" the plastic IIRC. 

So theoretically as long as any TS paint is used on the wheels, it should act as a primer for the PS paints.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

-RC Perspective

It should work.. When I mount stiff tires on painted wheels I always mount from the back side of the wheel and use a pair of flat jaw pliers to pull the tire side wall over the wheel ribs and the front lip.  Otherwise I end up with chipped paint even though it was prepped properly if I try to slide the tire perpendicularly.   Softer tires are no problem.  

One thing I found from my experience is some brand wheels resist paint.. primer does not stick well at all..  maybe sanding and adhesion promoter might've worked.   not sure.. 

• Like 1

Some manufacturers use Delrin for parts. Delrin is nice bc it repels dirt and oil. But it also repels paint.

For Tamiya plastics, use some of their white or pink primer then spray with TS…

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

It should work.. When I mount stiff tires on painted wheels I always mount from the back side of the wheel and use a pair of flat jaw pliers to pull the tire side wall over the wheel ribs and the front lip.  Otherwise I end up with chipped paint even though it was prepped properly if I try to slide the tire perpendicularly.   Softer tires are no problem.  

One thing I found from my experience is some brand wheels resist paint.. primer does not stick well at all..  maybe sanding and adhesion promoter might've worked.   not sure.. 

Thankfully they are Tamiya 2-piece wheel inserts. Probably should have clarified LOL.

The gray 2 piece set I used TS black on was just about perfect. Didn't have any issues with chipped paint, but as you mentioned they were softer tires.

It should work. We will see.

37 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Some manufacturers use Delrin for parts. Delrin is nice bc it repels dirt and oil. But it also repels paint.

For Tamiya plastics, use some of their white or pink primer then spray with TS…

Terry

As mentioned above, thankfully they are Tamiya inserts.

I'm trying to cheap out and use what I have left, I'm gonna give it a shot and try it out.

I'll post the results in here. I think the Metallic Red backed with Black will look dark enough to run them on the Porsche with black barrels.

-RC Perspective

So in short, the answer is yes. It can be done. Using TS Black as the base/primer for the wheels, Then PS Metallic Red, followed by Mr. Super Flat Clear. 

Curing

20220612-194657.jpg

Install

20220612-220059.jpg

Before bashing

20220613-160246.jpg

After bashing

20220613-170210.jpg

Held up pretty well so far! And it looks great!

-RC Perspective

• Like 1

Yep I have used PS paints quite a few times on wheels, when I havenmt been able to get the relevant TS paint, but I tend to always do some black or white backing first (I use Warrhammer spray paints for this as I always have a 400ml white or chaos black around) and they stick to plastic really well, it works fine and I havent experienced any issues of flaking.

• Like 1