Superluminal

TA02 Racing Special + TA02SW + TA02W + TA02 Rally

The CPR are good but they apply reverse by them self. 

10 minutes ago, svenb said:

The CPR are good but they apply reverse by them self. 

I'm assuming that wasnt a designed in feature!!!!

8 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I'm assuming that wasnt a designed in feature!!!!

The one I had did😕

A feature of it was a few seconds after lifting off the accelerator the brakes would come on!

Strange.....

Doesn't stop me from having them though 😅

1 minute ago, svenb said:

The one I had did😕

A feature of it was a few seconds after lifting off the accelerator the brakes would come on!

Strange.....

Doesn't stop me from having them though 😅

Nope, for sure as they look *******ing cool and anything that needs less cables is a massive plus point!

• Like 1

Beautiful work, those wide rear wheels are ace :)

• Thanks 1

@SuperluminalRelly nice job. Motivates me to build my TA02RS replica.

I have investigated the mystery with the collars on the hard drives.

Here are the original instructions for 53219.

53219TouringCarPressurePlateF_zps88ea6eb0.jpg

As the instructions say, you have to glue in the hard drives into the corresponding diff parts before you assemble the differential. Now here's the point. If you put in the hard drives in the diff parts, you can insert them to far. So during assembly you will have a problem. Here the collars provide a fixed distance and no problems with assembly.

With the normal balldiff you never use these because Tamiya never suggested to glue in the hard drives. 

Another benefit with these collars, you put the axial load from the hard drives on the inner ring of the bearing. Without them the load goes on the plates of the ball diff. I think because of this the collars are included in the package with the universal shafts.

As for the instructions for 54219 I have to revise my post. You don't need the collars on the TF Evo but on any other DF01, TA01 and TA02.

On the Evo you alredy have the collars on the 9805419 hard drives.

I hope this helped a bit.

But feel free to criticize.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DarkSonic said:

I hope this helped a bit.

Thank you! Thats really usefull info, I had no idea this existed as a separate hop up! The reference to the infamous / elusive "synthetic rubber cement" rears its head again. This would explain and solve the issue with the drive cups being able to slide out of the gearbox - if they are glued in they would be ok, but in the end i fitted the pink neoprene sponges on mine which keeps them in position. Its odd that Tamiya didnt think to mention this in the Racing Special manual considring it had this hop up diff assembly in the kit.

Absolutely amazing build mate - really is a credit to your determination to do it. And I love you have gone for absolutely correct to the images, with the CPR unit, gold battery etc. 

I've got a CPR unit in my Avante and it works great - admittedly I've only run it around the garden a bit, but it all functions correctly and does look so smart and tidy. I kinda think it's a shame more manufacturers didn't adopt this idea.

What happened to the carbon propshaft? Did @svenb get to you? ;)

Oh, I accidentally bought a Jazrider alloy steering set for mine, as I forgot the FRP chassis came with the upgraded one. It's supposed to work with the standard tub chassis. I can do you a mates rate on it if you're interested?

https://www.rcjaz.com/ta01ta02df01-aluminum-steering-assembly-wbearing-black-set-p-90085227.html

• Thanks 1

Thanks dude, much appreciated! In the end I wanted to keep it to be as original to the kit standard Racing Special as possible, with any additional hops up being those which wouldnt change the outward appearance of it (despite some of the originals flaws!) Also I tried to keep it to the same hop ups that were period correct at the time Tamiya released it, like the adjistable steering, hexes and alloy motor mount etc. As I mentioned before it seemed a bit of a strange oversight on Tamiyas part not to include these - as if you were racing you will spend a lot of time changing wheels and motors potentially and the plastic parts on the standard TA02 were always a bit of weak spot in these areas - especially the motor mount locating posts, the plastic always seems to split on these. 

Thanks for the offer on the steering, I will pass this time as will keep the original Tamiya ones......saying that though, after this build I almost have enough parts of the original Calibra kit to make up a whole other chassis.......hmmmmmmmmmm

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Superluminal said:

......saying that though, after this build I almost have enough parts of the original Calibra kit to make up a whole other chassis.......hmmmmmmmmmm

Don't do it! Run away while you still can! Talk like that will ruin you!

• Haha 1

Back from a week off and have today assembled the remaining body parts after painting them. As mentioned previously I went with the Nissan Skyline GTR R33 body which is shown as an example in the build manual (no body parts were supplied originally with the Racing Special, it was a chassis kit only)

I painted the wings and mirrors gloss white and have left the body clear to display the chassis.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I can call this one as complete now and have a tidy up before thinking of my next project.

• Like 9

Nice dude👍

Are you going to put on any decals?

• Thanks 1

Thanks mate! Ive got the decal set for it but think im going to leave it clear for now, really quite like how bright and shiny the polycarbonate is when unpainted and the film is taken off.

18 hours ago, Superluminal said:

I painted the wings and mirrors gloss white and have left the body clear to display the chassis.

In this case I would paint one half of the body as standard incl. decals and let the other side clear.

So you could have both „worlds“ (painted and clear) depending on how you have aligned the car on the shelf.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

In this case I would paint one half of the body as standard incl. decals and let the other side clear.

So you could have both „worlds“ (painted and clear) depending on how you have aligned the car on the shelf.

Thats definitely a nice idea but I think it would only work if you were able to achieve an ultra sharp line between the painted and unpainted part of the shell. Im cack at masking stuff off like that without getting bleeds or feathering of paint under the tape in the tight corners like the bumpers so probably wouldnt be able to do it justice.

• Like 1

Managed to find a set of the 53163 spring set with the original blue colour stiff springs. The modern sets have a much darker blue colour.

spacer.png

Fitted them tonight - before;

spacer.png

And after....I cant believe how much of a massive difference it makes, totally transforms it!!!! 

spacer.png

Like a totally different car now

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I call fake!

That's a different car. You may think you're clever in your shiny crystal palace but us normal folk know a fraud when we see one and I'm looking in your direction and am giving you the laaaaaazy eye.

Nice try - but you ain't fooling this one mateyjims.

• Haha 3

Even the background isn't the same!

In the first picture there's a yellow bag (probably Selfridges what with you being from Hertfordshire,) and in the second one, that bag has mysteriously disappeared and been replaced with a Tesco bag and some empty beer bottles!

Going to have to try better next time!

Columbo signing off.

8 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Even the background isn't the same!

In the first picture there's a yellow bag (probably Selfridges what with you being from Hertfordshire,) and in the second one, that bag has mysteriously disappeared and been replaced with a Tesco bag and some empty beer bottles!

Going to have to try better next time!

Columbo signing off.

Oops.....Busted :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Now that the TA02 Racing Special is complete my next three builds will all be TA02 based - rather than start new threads for each I will just update this one as I go along - aside from being my favourite of all the Tamiya chassis types the main reason for this is ive now got quite a lot of spare bits floating around.

The Racing Special build was the result of having aquired some wide racing wheels and tyres and it then grew from there with the donor being the newly re-released Calibra. As the Racing Special had all black plastics this has left me with all of the red gearbox parts and a lot of the standard diffs and drive train bits, hardware etc.

Also, prior to this I had bought the Vaillant Tamico edition 934 Black Special kit which following some discussions with @ruebiracer on options for correcting the wheelbase to the 230mm needed for the bodyshell he recomended Maxspeed in Germany for some custom carbon chassis plates which I used on my build. So ive got a full set of the Tamiya FRP chassis plates hanging around.

Lastly I aquired a TA02 chassis that was about 60% complete but had the original Tamiya carbon chassis plates albeit well used and quite scratched. The rest was a bit of a basket case with the usual gearbox cracks so these are scrap but it will be a good base for a runner.

spacer.png

So the plan is;

1 - Build a lightly hopped up TA02SW with the left over Tamiya FRP chassis plates, low friction dampers, silver gearbox mouldings and the remains of the Top Force EVO internal hardware parts bags left over from the Racing Special build. Have a black sports tuned for this too.

2 - Build a box stock TA02W from the remaining plastics and hardware - only hop-up will be bearings and some universals I had incorrectly bought when looking at Racing Special bits (the front uprights and axles are different on this kit to the regular TA02) Had to get a new chassis tub though as id used the Calibra one already.

3 - With anything left over in the bits box from the two above and inspired by @Cuiken silver can budget rally build assemble the basket case one in to a runner which i can bash about with.

For the bodies I have finally aquired over the last few years the three body parts sets of the cars that I had always wanted back in the 90s but never had and still think that they are the best body mouldings that Tamiya have ever produced;

The Taisan Starcard Porsche GT2, the Castrol Toyota Toms Supra and the Nismo Clarion GTR.  The Supra and the GTR fortunately are both to suit the TA02W and use the same five spoked two piece wheels so will be inter changeable without having to alter anything.

The body I will use for the Rally car had its origins in a TL01 Celica GT4 kit i bought in 2019 thinking (delusionally) that I might have a go at some vintage racing series despite me having the reactions of the elderly Ozzy Osbourne and only ever having bashed around car parks previously - then 2020 got in the way and im probably too lazy. The body had been painted blue and was a bit cracked around most edges so i need to repair it (shoegoo and mesh probably) and it feels a bit brittle. We shall see. Its in the loft at the min so will get that later. Pics of the others;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The GTR protective film is opaque - not sure if its an age thing but a couple of test peels reveal the lexan underneath is ok.

• Like 5

TA02SW

Not going to go into to much detail on this one as covered most of the TA02 build in the Racing Special but if im doing anything different on this one will add some additional info.

First step as always - the ball diff. Thankfully getting it out the way early as its my least favourite part. Used bits from the Topforce Evo diff parts id previously aquired for the RS and left overs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Going with hex head machine screws (stainless steel...not titanium @svenb soz mate) which will differentiate it a bit from the 934 and Racing Special.

spacer.png

Black can Sport Tuned and alloy motor mount.

spacer.png

It properly is a Tamiya icon :wub: even if its out performed by most other motors.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Apart from the blatant lack of titanium screw's it's a nice few projects 👍🏻

Good work getting the bodies too 😉

40 minutes ago, svenb said:

Apart from the blatant lack of titanium screw's it's a nice few projects 👍🏻

Good work getting the bodies too 😉

Cheers dude! 

Gears up next, id used the 69t in the RS so have the 66t left from the speed tuned gear set. That went in with a steel pinion and the hollow steel shafts which were left over from using the carbon ones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1