Superluminal

TA02 Racing Special + TA02SW + TA02W + TA02 Rally

30 minutes ago, grip-wolrd said:

Really amazing build thread; I've learned about the Racing Special and it's been a great read!

Thanks, its definitely an interesting project and there dont seem to be too many about.

Managed to squeeze in half an hour tonight, last night the back end was finished so tonight was making a start on the front end. Now onto Bag B

Steps 11 & 12;

Now this is the sort of diff I can enjoy building. No adjustment required. The front has a one way needle bearing that sits with a plastic housing which is then installed within the normal front gear diff body.

spacer.png

I have no idea how this will drive with this in but have a TT01 runner where I filled the diff with 1 million weight oil which did improve the grip at the front. I assume this will have the same affect but turned up to 11?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then installed into the front gearbox with a couple of ball bearings.

spacer.png

Step 12 is the bevel gears and prop shaft joint. Much the same assembly as the rear and I used the last of the hollow carbon tubes for the counter gear.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Assembled, again with some ball bearings to replace the bushes.

spacer.png

And then fitted into the gearbox, couple of blobs of grease and cover screwed down.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Thanks guys,

@GermanTA03Guy that looks exactly the same as the issue Ive got, pretty sure ive got some of those pink foam things in the spares box somewhere, will put them in.

@jonboy1 Soz mate, didnt mean to :ph34r:Tamiyas tend to come along like busses on the build threads, although theres enough differences between them to make both worthwhile. Between us we could have probably invested in a nice property somewhere for the costs!

copying over the discussion on my thread - I fitted a red o-ring to the inner cup  - however, I've just noticed your hard cups look different to mine:

Yours:

1564945876_20220613_193813(1).thumb.jpg.5e9e55b3a82b73d391c9c2eab18e5e80.jpg

and mine:

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.261e09eb1bb8644ae61bcbcbde9a4dec.JPG

The brass collars sit against a shoulder on mine, whereas yours seem to go all the way on.

What part number drives are you using?

Right I think I worked it out. We are both using the 9805420 ball diff:

https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=9805420

you need to use the 9805419 hard drives with this, they are specific to this diff:

https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=9805419

don't believe me - Modellbau-Seidel says so, so it must be true!

I think you've used 51327 which is for the 53267 diff

https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=53217

https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=53267

these don't have the shoulder for the collars, which is probably why they sit in too close to the gear cases.

Hope that helps mate!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

...Can't believe you made such a rookie mistake as that to be honest! :huh::rolleyes::D

spacer.png

Mate.....its going off now!!!!

<runs away and hides>

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

A quality thread and a quality build as well @Superluminal.

Both you and @jonboy1are spoiling us 👏

Yet you choose to say this in HIS thread, not mine.....

Interesting, very interesting....... :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

spacer.png

Mate.....its going off now!!!!

<runs away and hides>

Just to add, if anyone wants to know how to properly build a TA-02RS, then may I direct your attention my build thread over here:

:D:D:D:D:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Just to add, if anyone wants to know how to properly build a TA-02RS, then may I direct your attention my build thread over here:

:D:D:D:D:D

This one yeah.....make sure you check it out everyone

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

I don't want to get involved in any fights but I like @jonboy1 build best🤫

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, svenb said:

I thought what we had was special. Quick glimpse of carbon and you couldnt wait to move on.

9 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I thought what we had was special. Quick glimpse of carbon and you couldnt wait to move on.

It's nothing personal it's just ...........

The carbon

• Like 1

Could redeem yourself with titanium screw's 👍😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, svenb said:

Think @Superluminal 's is my favourite now

he sent me a tenner 🤫

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Think @Superluminal 's is my favourite now

he sent me a tenner 🤫

Thats because you cant get enough of my junk in the trunk badonka donk bootay

spacer.png

• Haha 3

Well im back from work now having been stuck on the motor way so will try and get the front end done tonight.

Step 13;

This involves atta............................

...........................wait a minute.

7 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

...Can't believe you made such a rookie mistake as that to be honest! :huh::rolleyes::D

Now im back I just need to refer to the Racing Special manual briefly ................................. dum de dum ................whats this????................

spacer.png

Looks like they are the correct diff joints for the Racing Special after all, I mean you really need to be careful of those other build threads where theyre just throwing in them random diff joints all over the show.....proper cowboys!!!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Right I think I worked it out. We are both using the 9805420 ball diff:

https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=9805420

you need to use the 9805419 hard drives with this, they are specific to this diff:

https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=9805419

don't believe me - Modellbau-Seidel says so, so it must be true!

I think you've used 51327 which is for the 53267 diff

https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=53217

https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=53267

these don't have the shoulder for the collars, which is probably why they sit in too close to the gear cases.

Hope that helps mate!

I have to step in in this discussion.

9805419 is the correct one for the light diff option and are originaly used in the TF Evolution 58107

But, if you buy these option as a hop up 53219, the instruction says to use the collars on the Touring cars, but not on the off road cars.

So for the Ta02RS the 53217 is the correct part, as these didn't have the additional build in collar 

So with the 9805419 you didn't need the brass collars as they already have these build in.  

• Like 2

Any idea what they do then if theyre not needed on a buggy using the same gearbox and diff parts?

Many confusings :huh:

Right, back to step 13, finishing off the front end. Not a lot to do here, couple of step screws for the top arms and then attaching the damper tower to the gearbox.

spacer.png

And fitting the front diff joints. The proper ones :D

spacer.png

And assembled:spacer.png

Step 14, bit more involved this time - front uprights, bearings, c hubs, lightweight king pins and universals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This did involve busting open a very good condition set of nib 53172 universals but sod it - stuff cant stay nib forever, the enjoyments not the cardboard.

They are a much nicer satin and polished finish compared to the rears.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Step 15 - another short one, couple of step screws, washers and the imaginitively named "u-shaped shaft".

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is then used to fix the assembled front suspension arms and drive shafts onto the gearbox. And thats the front end completed - on to the dampers next which will be for another day.

spacer.png

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Thats because you cant get enough of my junk in the trunk badonka donk bootay

spacer.png

I see your cheap and nasty plastic, no doubt ringed with grime, bathtub chassis and raise you a delicious firm and shiny FRP chassis. Double deck you know. Just like the best chocolate bars.

IMG_2314.thumb.JPG.922262f105aa42048ae07d84ea8ec6ae.JPG

How'd you like them apples eh? :D

@svenb - I appreciate the hard circumstances we are all finding ourselves in, what with the economy. Quite frankly, I find an offer £10 in this day and age to be an insult. So I would therefore like to offer a charitable donation of £20 to you, my fellow TC member and compatriot, as a show of my care and appreciation for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why go out for steaks when you can have burgers at home???? :wub: I think thats the right expression!??!

But from what I know of @svenb he loves it "ringed with grime" :P

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Any idea what they do then if theyre not needed on a buggy using the same gearbox and diff parts?

Many confusings :huh:

I don't know what's what anymore. I'm going with I'm right and everyone else is wrong until someone can comprehensively prove otherwise. :) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Why go out for steaks when you can have burgers at home???? :wub: I think thats the right expression!??!

But from what I know of @svenb he loves it "ringed with grime" :P

Really? I thought it was "A camel cannot see its own hump" - just shows I clearly have no clue.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

@svenb - I appreciate the hard circumstances we are all finding ourselves in, what with the economy. Quite frankly, I find an offer £10 in this day and age to be an insult. So I would therefore like to offer a charitable donation of £20 to you, my fellow TC member and compatriot, as a show of my care and appreciation for you.

Sir! bribe excepted