Superluminal

TA02 Racing Special + TA02SW + TA02W + TA02 Rally

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Why go out for steaks when you can have burgers at home????ย :wub:ย I think thats the right expression!??!

But from what I know of @svenbย he loves it "ringed with grime"ย :P

I'm sure this is a back handed compliment ๐Ÿค”

Either way it's excepted๐Ÿ‘

• Haha 2

It's nice to see some vintage chassis's being built up anyway fellas๐Ÿ‘

As for the diff joint collars, I put them on the hard joint hop up and very little slop!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, svenb said:

It's nice to see some vintage chassis's being built up anyway fellas๐Ÿ‘

As for the diff joint collars, I put them on the hard joint hop up and very little slop!

But my way is the right one, correct?ย :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jonboy1 said:

But my way is the right one, correct?ย :D

Twenty quid says yes ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Any idea what they do then if theyre not needed on a buggy using the same gearbox and diff parts?

Many confusingsย :huh:

You all texting so fast ๐Ÿ˜‚

Tomorrow I will check the parts and hopefully can clarify the misterious collar question with pictures.

I think i know why Tamiya used this is the 53219 option.

• Like 1

Another hour squeezed in tonight after work. Dampers.

Steps 16 & 17;

On to the C parts bag now and assembly of the dampers. Except for the springs the Racing Special uses the normal CVA dampers as found on the regular TA02. Ive got a couple of sets of the low friction dampers which were the period correct ones noted in the hop up section of the manual but didnt want to deviate too far from the original spec on this build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So saying that, nothing out of the ordinary or particularly interesting there but I did have some left over hop ups from another build which im going to use which will make a very subtle difference. Some TRF titanium nitride coated piston shafts and some three hole TRF pistons. The spring set is the same as per the instructions although it appears they paint the hard springs a darker shade of blue than is in the publicity photos.

spacer.png

First step, assemble the pistons on the shafts. The ones in the instructions are shown as being single hole but its a much larger diametre hole than that on the TRF pistons, not that it matters too much for this build. The TRF shafts are also shorter than the standard so i omitted the 5.5mm internal spacer shown.

spacer.png

Mmmmmm.....gold titanium.

Installed the red o-rings into the damper bodies, fitted the pistons, filled with Tamiya yellow oil and waited for the bubbles to dissapear.

spacer.png

Then installed the green rubber diaphragm, plastic top cap, spring retainer and springs - soft red springs rear and hard blue springs front.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Steps 18 & 19;

Attaching these to the front and rear gear boxes assembled earlier. Rather thanย ball studs these are held on with a sleeved collar and a screw. I added some black o-rings onto the collars to stop the dampers sliding on them but they are still free to move.

First the rear -ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then the fronts -ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And thats done for tonight

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

ย 

Mmmmmm.....gold titanium.

At last something titanium ๐Ÿ™„

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, svenb said:

At last something titanium ๐Ÿ™„

I was hoping thst would appease you a bit! Also was it you who had some limited edition low friction dampers that had a black anodised finish?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

ย Also was it you who had some limited edition low friction dampers that had a black anodised finish?

I do yes

1 minute ago, svenb said:

I do yes

Can you recall what part number they are? If i ever upgrade this to alloy dampers at some point in the future i might try hunting down a set of those (will suit it better than the pink ones)

9 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Except for the springs the Racing Special uses the normal CVA dampers as found on the regular TA02. Ive got a couple of sets of the low friction dampers which were the period correct ones noted in the hop up section of the manual but didnt want to deviate too far from the original spec on this build

I think thats a good idea. It sometimes looks rubbish or at least not original when you deviate from that spec. I think the tubย and normal cvas on the ta02rsย had something cool, purposeful.ย 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superluminal said:

The spring set is the same as per the instructions although it appears they paint the hard springs a darker shade of blue than is in the publicity photos.

I know, and its a shame. I have a 53280 Set from bitd , bought in the 90s, and it has These lovely brighter blue springs. All my spring Sets bought These days have the not so nice dark blue ...ย 

• Sad 1

Step 20;

Electronics - for this build I will be using the CPR160 combination receiver /ESC, TPS servo and a Racing Pack 1700SCRC battery.

I was able to get the CPR unit and servo together as a complete set in the Adspec Plus transmitter set which came from a Japanese auction site.

spacer.png

spacer.pngย There was a slip of paper in the box with a note about cutting a section of the chassis top deck out when using on a TA01 but in the Racing Special instructions it shows the CPR unit orientation differently so can avoid modifying anything.

spacer.png

The battery pack comes with a charger. Really like the gold coating on these batteries.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Parts bag D now - First part of step 20 is to install the servo saver. I replaced the kit one with a Tamiya Hi Torque servo saver and will also fit some hop up alluminium servo stays.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Used a servo tester to centre it.ย 

spacer.png

Then installed the servo saver (upside down it turned out - ive got a really bad hangover and wasnt concentrating)

spacer.png

Step 21 - installing it into the chassis tub

spacer.png

spacer.png

Step 22 - Fitting the CPR unit onto the servo with some double sided foam tape.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step steering.

ย 

ย 

• Like 6

Really enjoying this thread, so thanks @Superluminal, itโ€™s definitely making me think about getting in the loft and finding mine, andย getting onย with it!

1FBD9323-8773-48DB-B851-855EDEDFF4D8.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking good @Superluminal, the vintage electronics definitely add a touch of authenticity ๐Ÿ‘Œ

If the current TA02RS builds were a poker game, feels likes youโ€™re holding royalty and just foundย an aceย in the river ๐Ÿค‘

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Looking good @Superluminal, the vintage electronics definitely add a touch of authenticity ๐Ÿ‘Œ

If the current TA02RS builds were a poker game, feels likes youโ€™re holding royalty and just foundย an aceย in the river ๐Ÿค‘

Your card has just been marked @Juhunioย 

• Haha 2

So, onto the steering assembly.

Step 23;

Id decided to replace the steering rods with adjustable turnbuckles here as on my runner TA02 I had spent a bit time make adjustements to the front toe and it was annoying popping the adjustor off the ball stud each time and it started to look a bit chewed up. Not that i will ever run this one but its another of those hop ups that I feel the Racing Special should have come with as the 53191 set already existed at this time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And as assembled with the wire linkage.

spacer.png

Little blob of grease inside each adjustor makes threading them on so much easier - one of those tips that I read on here and is so obvious when you think about it now but still I think we've all goneย through busted fingers and thumbs trying to get them on and then when using the little spanner them being so tight they pop off the ball.

Step 24;

Fixing the steering onto the tub with a couple of step screws. I used a couple of shims on these but the steering is still sloppy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the upgraded steering setup with the aluminium posts and bearings from the FRP/carbon chassis setย is a much better set up but sadly doesnt work on the tub chassis - it really isnt great at all on this but i dont think a lot can done about it as there just too much laterall movement between the bore moulded into the arms and the step screw, despite the shims and hi torque servo saver.

Next steps, turning into a proper chassis!

• Like 1

Step 25;

spacer.png

Four screws to attach the rear gearbox assembly to the tub and connecting the motor wires onto the CPR unit.

Had to look in the instructions for the motor that yellow is positive and lime green is negative (obviously :wacko:) Why cant they all be red /black???!!?

spacer.png

Step 26;

Fitting the front gearbox onto the tub, poping the steering arms onto the ball studs in the uprights and then fitting the hardened prop shaft which replaces the bit of old coat hanger original.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Step 27;

Fitting the front bumper which then retains the u-shaped shaft which holds the arms in place and the final screws for the front gearbox.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Its now looking like a proper touring car chassis now!

• Like 4

Step 28; wheels!! I like this bit.

spacer.pngย The wheels on the Racing Special are white single piece five spokes, 26mm wide at the front and 31mm wide at the rear but unlike the two piece wheels have the same offset so there is no noticable stagger in the track width.

spacer.png

The rear wheels use a regular foam whereas the fronts have a shaped insert. This hop up took quite a bit of hunting down and again came from a Japanese auction site - there are current hop ups for tyre inserts but I wanted the original part 53209.

spacer.png

The tyres are "Super Slicks" which as you would imagine are a softer and grippier rubber compound than the regular touring car slicks. They are also a slightly larger and rounder profileย compared to the regular ones as well - I think they look really smart!

spacer.png

• Like 3

Step 29 & 30; the final leg now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This invoves installing the small rear bumper, body mounting posts and wheel hexes.

I decided to replace the plastic hexes with Tamiya aluminiumย clamp ones. These are really nicely made, ive had a few sets of the ebay specials of these and theyve all been gash - ie not clamping up tight enough, groove for the pin being of centreย or stripping threads. The Tamiya ones are perfect but are a bit pricy and have a slot machined opposite the split to ensure they clamp properly.

spacer.png

Almost there.....

spacer.png

• Like 5

Step 31; The End

Final stage - so aside from the body the chassis is now complete, justย fitting the battery and retaining clip and the aerial mount. Must say, I quite like the CPR unit, its definitely a much neater solution in terms of wiring than having separate ESC etc - has anyone ever used one back in the dayย and were they actually any good?

spacer.png

And done;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for reading! Bit of spraying to do now.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1