SimonDM

Two Bruiser’s a Grasshopper and a Hornet!

18yrs since I posted! :o Now my kids are going on 13 soon and we’re getting back into RC by building our kits together. I was 13 in the heyday of the Tamiya classics (1985) and lusted after a Bruiser, as well as every model in the 1985 catalog LOL. 16yrs ago I purchased a shelf queen off a member here (Neil in the UK I think?). He sold his pristine Bruiser, all original 1985 version to me, as he and his wife were purchasing their first house back then. Still have it. Fast forward to the present, and I’d like my kids to have the experience of physically building something which comes to life, provides a fun learning experience, and gives me an excuse to finally build my own Bruiser! Thanks Tamico for saving us literally 50% off the price of the Bruiser here in the US, as well as the Hornet, Grasshopper, and necessary accessories. If they enjoy the Hornet and Grasshopper, we’ll be ordering more!

• Like 5

Whoops, I think I posted this in the wrong forum. Maybe one of the mods can move it over to the re-re section.

So my girls and I are having a great time building our kits, and I can’t believe how quickly they have picked up the ability to build on their own! once I explained to them how to read the directions, and always keep the part you are working on orientated the same as in the manual, they got it rather fast. It’s just amazing with a little guidance and instruction how fast they become builders. I remember when I was their age, I had to figure everything out on my own. I didn’t have anyone with experience to explain some of the subtleties in the instruction manuals like how things go in order and how everything is labeled and how to organize your pieces parts. Funny because the first thing they wanted to do was open up all of the bags and dump everything into a pile! Ha ha ha! 

Another thing I’ve learned is, I’m not sure if I could’ve built the Bruiser back when I was 14. Or if I did, I’m sure I would have made a ton of mistakes and the kit would have been butchered when I was done. I’m an adult with AutoCad training, years of working on equipment, cars and truck, house projects, etc, just life experience and while not difficult to follow, you really need to pay close attention and I’ve still made two or three mistakes by step 19. I’m enjoying building my Bruiser and I like the newer kit having the extra experience of building the transmission as well. 

When these are done, we’ll get a few more kits to work on for sure!

• Like 1

Welcome back! 18 years is a decent break for sure. 

Glad you and the kids are finding a love for RC. I partly returned to RC as my son showed an interest but that has certainly wained while mine has really grown.

I hope you all keep the passion going. Post some pics of the cars when you get a chance!