smirk-racing

Clod upgrade guide, one level at a time

Anyone know of any upgrade guides for Clodbusters? I'm looking for something that's organized by "levels". For example:

Level 0: Bone stock

Level 1: "Stock Plus": Mods to certain parts, fairly limited replacement of parts. Things that would fit under this level might include shaving the stops behind the knuckles for more steering, switching to behind-the-axle steering (and adding a 2nd servo for rear wheels if desired).

Level 2: "Sport" - upgrade motors, maybe swap out links and change wheelbase, oil shocks

Level 3: Advanced - change battery location, brushless motors

Level 4: Mod: basically change everything except the middle sections of the axles (because there really aren't many aftermarket parts for that area). Everything else could be upgraded.

Not sure if those are the right levels but I'm guessing someone out there did a good job organizing the options...

Any pointers?

• Like 1

Hi, I’d of said level 1 is the conventional bearings steel pinion & motor upgrade.

then some easy free or cheap improvements/alterations like switching the upper/lower positions of the steering rods (on a central servo setup) & tightening the rear axle mounted servo saver more than the front, metal anti-rotation brackets, lexan body etc. 

After that the more complex modifications like BTA servos would be the higher levels of modification.

A  lexan body from jconcepts. Jconcepts tribute wheels and firestorm tires. Hobbywing 880 speed controller and brushed motors from jconcepts.

Proud Bullhead owner myself..  I think  mods can loosely grouped into 4 levels depending on what the end goal is:  I went up to "Level 3" and really enjoy this truck, it shed the "shakey plastic toy" feeling and became a fun car to drive up grassy hills or catch air from exposed tree roots and such.

Level 1   (least expensive)

- bearings

- mild motor upgrade to use with stock esc

Level 2   (moderately expensive)

- bearings

- esc upgrade (Hobbywing 880)

- 3s battery

Level 3   (more expensive than moderate)

- bearings

- 3s battery

- front axle mounted servo kit & rear steering lockout

- oil shocks

Level 4 (go go bananas expensive)

- replacement chassis and steering kits

- wild motor/esc combos

- blingy wheels/tires

- jewel-polished dampers w/ color-matched springs

- sick grafix custom painted body

- (okay you get the point)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Killajb said:

Proud Bullhead owner myself..  I think  mods can loosely grouped into 4 levels depending on what the end goal is:  I went up to "Level 3" and really enjoy this truck, it shed the "shakey plastic toy" feeling and became a fun car to drive up grassy hills or catch air from exposed tree roots and such.

Level 1   (least expensive)

- bearings

- mild motor upgrade to use with stock esc

Level 2   (moderately expensive)

- bearings

- 3s battery

Level 3   (more expensive than moderate)

- bearings

- 3s battery

- front axle mounted servo kit & rear steering lockout

- oil shocks

Level 4 (go go bananas expensive)

- replacement chassis and steering kits

- wild motor/esc combos

- blingy wheels/tires

- jewel-polished dampers w/ color-matched springs

- sick grafix custom painted body

- (okay you get the point)

When I do finally get one I will go for level 3. After a while I'm not sure it doesn't become something else, but axle mounted servo does seem to make a huge difference.

I like classifications and its cool to create an upgrade path for Clod-based trucks. It can be a bit tricky for the novice entering Clod-world and not quite knowing the way forward.

That said, I'm not sure many of my Clods fit into into any exact levels but rather time frames (all vintage of course, me being me). I have:

My original Bullhead retired from BITD.

An original red Clod resto project (just got to get up the drive/courage to shoot the body at this point. I hate painting.

A stocker Super Clod runner with just bearings and steel pinions

A clean Super Clod from @speedy_w_beans I've got a plan for involving a trailer.

A Sassy repro Clod with old school 4 links emulating the first race style Clods before ESP and Bennett became prevalent.

A Bennett repro Clod for my "race" Clod

An ESP Clodzilla 3 repro Clod I'm currently working on

A project Clod pushing how far I can take the stock chassis/ladder bar set-up for competition purposes. Since its genesis, Jconcepts brought out the Regulator kit which shares many ideas. Being stingy, I will likely copy some of that chassis design for a home brewed version.

Still inside my head are a reproduction of the RC Car Action feature truck, the 6X6 Monster Mack. I did track down the correct Buddy-L cab for it but at the rate I'm going, it'll be a retirement project.

And finally, something I've dubbed the Utility Clod. A rough and tumble work truck meant to pull wagons out to the garden or plow snow when need be. 

All that is just the Clod Buster side of this hobby for me which leaves the 8 or so vintage Kyosho monsters I'm working on, the half dozen ORV monsters, the Lunch Box based trucks, King Cabs, Bruisers etc...and that's just the monster trucks. Its no wonder I have something like 100 vehicles. I am a sick man.

• Like 3

What path you go down for upgrades will depend heavily on what you want to do with the truck, and what your ultimate goals are.  A Clod can be a cheap fun runner or a HUGE moneypit...

CPE Racing in the USA used to offer their version of "staged" kits:

Stage 1 - Bearings, Chassis brace, metal anti-rotation brackets.

Stage 2 - Stage 1 + axle mount servos and new linkages

Stage 3 - Stage 2 + 4 link suspension kit & shock mounts

I think this is a good start conceptually, but also highlights the "issues" with upgrading a Clod......

Clod "issues" (IMO) are:

1. Steering - The steering on the Clod is dreadful.  This also makes it fun.  The "fix" is 100% axle mount servos.  BUT, this will also make you choose if you want to keep 4WS (more expensive, but cooler and more steering options) or 2WS (more durable, cheaper).  Remember, you can always swap from one to the other with nothing more that time and money!  :lol:  Now, this is also a good place to trim the steering stops for more wheel throw and a better turning radius... but you'll quickly learn that if you really want to take full advantage of this, you'll also need CVD's...  Also, some BTA setups require 4 link suspension... which again costs nothing more that time and money!

2. Suspension - The suspension on the Clod is dreadful.  This also makes it fun.  The "fix"... is actually really hard... or really easy depending what you want out of the truck.  If you're going to keep the stock suspension, get some metal anti-rotation brackets, and learn to enjoy the bounce.  The stock truck is bouncy bouncy bouncy ... but so were the 1:1 trucks it was modeled after.  Want it more planted like a modern race truck?  The quickest and easiest fix is to go buy a Losi LMT instead.  Seriously... it will probably save you money.  Otherwise, you're into the complex array of suspension upgrades, shocks, race chassis, tires, and tire inserts.

3. Speed - I think the clod is fine speed wise.  A good 2S pack and a decent ESC will make the truck zippy and fun.  Want to faster?  Again, I recommend the Losi LMT... Otherwise, you're looking at adjustable motor mounts, faster motors, and maybe bigger batteries and higher end electronics.

4. Durability - The more you mod the clod... and the more you push it away from what it is (a 1980's monster truck)... the more it will break.  And it WILL break.  You can spend hundreds on braces alone...

I LOVE monster trucks.  And I LOVE the ClodBuster.  But it is a 1980's design representing a 1980's truck.  That's both it's charm, and its Achilles heel.  For me @smirk-racing, I don't think I would take a Clod past Level 1 or 2 on your original scale.  And I say this having a Level 4+ race clod.  There are much better options for the same or less money if you want to have a fast capable basher or race style truck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1