grip-wolrd

TA02 Out Of Nothing

I bought a bag of bits. I will make something out of it.

h2iiiUi.jpg

So, I bought a bag of bits and I had no idea what it contained; I saw a few interesting plastic pieces and decided to just buy it. In the end it had a few parts from numerous different models that I've only come to learn of as I've researched. It included, but likely isn't limited to: Manta Ray, TG10, F103GT and some TT parts.

I didn't want a TG10 and the F103GT is really only a couple of parts, and I'm not even sure which TT parts they are, but for the Manta Ray there were 2 complete gearboxes and some arms.

Now I don't want a Manta Ray, but I've since learned that the TA01 and 02 shared a lot of the Manta Ray parts and that sounded way more interesting to me.

Firstly I disassembled the gearboxes to check their condition and clean them up:

43CEU8J.jpg

Overall they looked pretty good, but they are both geared diffs as opposed to the front ball bearing type on the TA models.

The Manta Ray was obviously involved in an incident:

pYdzqXo.jpg

Cleaned and ready:

ctJBaTg.jpg

This is basically all that I have of the future TA02, but I do plan on building it up in a sort of modernized retro racer. I'll be fun.

• Like 11

It’s definitely TA02 season on Tamiyaclub 😃

Sounds like you’ve got an open ticket to your destination though, so will be very interested to see where you head next 👍

• Like 2

i wish you luck in building it. i also built my manta from parts alone and alot of help from @MICHAELs TopForce17 who already got some parts accrued. you might have some trouble finding a chassis tub but some parts are getting harder to find.

14 hours ago, nel33 said:

i wish you luck in building it. i also built my manta from parts alone and alot of help from @MICHAELs TopForce17 who already got some parts accrued. you might have some trouble finding a chassis tub but some parts are getting harder to find.

I can still find the FRP chassis kits here, but I'd rather have tub, and yeah it might be harder to find.

4 hours ago, grip-wolrd said:

I can still find the FRP chassis kits here, but I'd rather have tub, and yeah it might be harder to find.

yeah i prefer the tub myself, i accidentally stripped the plastic screws for the top battery hold down/ESC plate/rear diff mounting points. was considering buying a spare tub but didnt do it in the end. it was my first time using the fine threaded M3 machined screws so i didnt take into account the heat produced when securing the parts to the chassis.

RCmart has alot of parts that you likely need. it might not be all of them but its something. rc mart does have low stock on a plastic manta ray chassis tub right now.

I have a ta-02 tub and maybe a few spares which I was thinking of popping on eBay (I'm new to this!). A bit scratched up though. I'm out at the moment, but are you looking for a used tub, or do you need a shiny example?

On 6/18/2022 at 8:58 AM, HBZ-3 said:

I have a ta-02 tub and maybe a few spares which I was thinking of popping on eBay (I'm new to this!). A bit scratched up though. I'm out at the moment, but are you looking for a used tub, or do you need a shiny example?

To be honest I would be ok with a used tub; I used all of my RC cars to it will get scratched either way!

Finally got some parts in to continue the build:

• Tamiya 0009611 - C-parts TA02 Blue
  • Tamiy 50482 - D-parts TA02 body mounts
  • GPM HM1041SF - Out-drives
  • Tamiya 9000744 - TA02 Front suspension arms
  • Tamiya 4035034 - FRP front shock tower
  • Tamiya 4035035 - FRP rear shock tower
  • Tamiya 9405619 - Pivot and axle shafts
  • Tamiya 445246 - Uprights Blue
  • Yeah Racing TA01-042BU - Alu steering kit
  • Yeah Racing TA01-013BU - Alu motor mount
  • Carson 500904023 - TA01 bearing set (which I now realised the TA02 one is different)
  • Tamiya 9335609 - TA02 Chassis tub
  • Tamiya 9805901 - Cardan drive-shaft

lQuskQS.jpg

Built the gearboxes back together after the clean and fitted the new shaft-drives.

VuKYmiM.jpg

Looking 'almost' like new again and I've got a few spare internal gear sets available if needed.

lH0Imts.jpg

Also fitted the rear shock tower; for the front I will need to make a small bracket as is required. Not sure if this comes in a kit somehow but I haven't been able to find anything so far.

R4N8eWS.jpg

Now I've very quickly come to a stop where I will need to find some more parts before I can continue and I'm not sure how long it will take to find all the parts.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 6:47 PM, grip-wolrd said:

To be honest I would be ok with a used tub; I used all of my RC cars to it will get scratched either way!

Really sorry. I didn't see the notification! 

Glad you're all sorted now, looking good!

Some minor updates:

Got a couple more spares in like rear suspension arms and steering link so was able to finish the rear end and start putting the chassis together.

8fBO32L.jpg

The original suspension arm bolts dont really work in the CF shock towers as the towers are much thinner. I might change the fastener and make a bushing or just add spacers to the original screw to get rid of all the slop:

Vx0rYwG.jpg

vBPlWoH.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 10:49 AM, grip-wolrd said:

The original suspension arm bolts dont really work in the CF shock towers as the towers are much thinner. I might change the fastener and make a bushing or just add spacers to the original screw to get rid of all the slop

They are FRP rather than CF, but regardless, the originals when bought as the set (rather than just the plate as a spare part as you have) came with special short step screws for this reason, if I remember correctly. 

Mine have long since been swapped for ball nuts as I also installed adjustable upper arms. This would be another option to remove the slop. 

On 7/27/2022 at 12:12 PM, rich_f said:

They are FRP rather than CF, but regardless, the originals when bought as the set (rather than just the plate as a spare part as you have) came with special short step screws for this reason, if I remember correctly. 

Mine have long since been swapped for ball nuts as I also installed adjustable upper arms. This would be another option to remove the slop. 

Good to know; i might make my own spacer and run a shorter bolt.

Minor update:

I got a Tamiya Acto-Power motor when I bought another second hand kit (an old Kyosho no less), and I figured it would fit perfectly in the TA-02.

70UtI2v.jpg

UCCgHao.jpg

• Like 1