EsotericRC

Vintage 1986 Supershot Resto-mod build, turned separate vintage restoration + modded build

33 minutes ago, EsotericRC said:

Was gonna start putting together the front and rear gearboxes yesterday, but pretty much my whole family, with the exception of me, came down with COVID over the 4th of July weekend. 

Stupid Covid has no respect for our hobbies and plans!  :lol:

All joking aside, I hope everyone recovers quickly!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Stupid Covid has no respect for our hobbies and plans!  :lol:

All joking aside, I hope everyone recovers quickly!

It sure doesn't! Hah! Thanks. My son was down for 1 day with headache, fever, and general misery. Pretty much slept all day, but by the next day you'd think he was perfectly fine. Was back to his usual crazy self. My Wife...not so much. Guess kids seem to get over it quicker than adults do...

5 hours ago, razzar said:

Hope everyone if fine, and we will get an update soon

Yup, thanks...everyone is fine and has since recovered. Haven't had time recently to work on my own projects as I was helping my son with finishing up his TD4. He just finished it the other day though:

IMG_9350.thumb.JPG.75bb01e4446838c8156d8343600812ca.JPG

IMG_9355.thumb.JPG.4c933b9732298cdce45c966f4db74622.JPG

We don't have any tracks even remotely near us, so it took it's maiden voyage on a local baseball diamond. Happy to say that my son loved it! He loved the process of building it, and then getting to enjoy running it after the build. So much so that he keeps asking what model he can build next. Heh. Think i've created a monster...

Anyway, now that the TD4 build is done, hopefully i'll have some time to work on my Supershot. Will post updates when I do...hopefully soon....

• Like 1

The other project that I have been working on as well, that I mentioned earlier in the thread, is a small-ish backyard dirt track. Space I have to work with is about 56'x33'...pretty much the area covered and shaded by these 2 cherry blossom trees in the yard. The idea is to use the area covered by the cherry blossoms so that the trees serve as a sort of camouflage to hide the track so as to not draw the attention and ire of the local Homeowners Association. I set the track layout using landscape marking flags and started moving dirt to line the track and fill in the roots, etc around the trees.  It's also been ridiculously hot and humid here lately, so the work on it has definitely been slow-going since I can only work on it for short stints before needing to take a water/cooldown break...

IMG_9392.thumb.JPG.b0188fa5e19babce0fa353e75247d3e4.JPG

Unfortunately, no updates one the SuperShot build yet. Since my son finished his TD4, he's been bugging me to finish our backyard track so that he has a nice place to run it so I've been spending my free time lately finalizing the layout and working on the build of the track. Unfortunately, since it's built around 2 trees, there are roots from those 2 trees so I can't just till the grass to remove it and make the track surface. Have to actually build up the dirt about 3"-4" to cover the roots and level out the surface some, so that requires hauling in dirt from another part of our property. Quite honestly, it's backbreaking work since i'm moving it all manually with a cart, spreading it with a rake, and packing it with a hand-held tamper. Will be so worth it in the end when it's done and we can spend countless hours racing cars around it. 

I've actually stretched the track dimensions a little to 56'x36', which is about 2016 square feet total. Current planned track layout has 2 longer straights, with segments of technical turns toward the center of the space. The lanes should be about 7ft wide the whole way through and I am plan on having 2 or 3 jumps, but nothing too crazy, with maybe a few banked/bermed turns. Here's a rough sketch I did of the track layout:

IMG_9461.thumb.jpg.8fd5dcab21c62c70eada5c5adde8d09a.jpg

So far, this is what i've gotten done: 

IMG_9458.thumb.jpg.725d72e335fe258f4b24f505dd5a8036.jpg

IMG_9459.thumb.jpg.a8f6cf85b2485325c1a827e87632e755.jpg

Building it around the 2 cherry blossom trees does make things a bit more difficult in terms of track layout since we have trees to work around, but I chose to build it around the trees for 2 primary reasons. First and foremost is to try to camouflage it some so it doesn't stand out so much...to try to avoid the ire of our local Home Owners Association. Second is to make use of the shade from the trees so that we're not just baking in the sun whenever my son and I are out there running cars on it.  

• Like 1

Also picked up some 3" corrugated pipe to use for the track borders.

IMG_9448.thumb.JPG.022a5cbd40897f9ff21c29377fc65cea.JPG

At first I checked with both Home Depot and Lowes and was shocked how much the price of corrugated pipe has skyrocketed recently, likely due to supply chain shortages from the pandemic. However, I looked in my local FB Marketplace listings and found a guy selling 2 new 100ft rolls of the 3" corrugated pipe for $35. He's a contractor and had some left over from some of their builds that he was just trying to unload. Perfect.
Once I finish moving dirt, will have to figure out how I am gonna hold the 3" pipe in place. Am thinking of getting some steel rebar, cutting lengths of it and welding a large washer onto one end, then drilling a hole down the center of the pipe and driving the rebar spike through it into the ground. Anyone have any better ideas for ways to hold the corrugated pipe into place?

Anyway, I will try to get some work in on my SuperShot build soon. My apologies for the delay...

• Like 3

Awesome! Look forward to seeing track come together 👍 and some running bids perhaps?🙂

21 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Awesome! Look forward to seeing track come together 👍 and some running bids perhaps?🙂

Oh, most definitely will post some running vids once everything comes together! 

• Like 1