goncalop

Tamiya 47443 Porsche 911 GT1 Street TA03R-S

Hey guys,

I'm preparing to start building the Tamiya 911 GT1 and I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm thinking of painting it gunmetal grey (see image attached) and I'm looking for the following suggestions:

• Does this kit need ball bearings?
  • Do you have a suggestion for a driver figure?
  • Is there a machine screw kit for this model? I searched on RC-Schrauben but couldn't find any.
  • From the images it looks like the rear wheels sit a little too much inside the body. Is there a spacer kit?
  • Are there any suggested hop ups that you think should be added?

I'm thinking of pairing it with a basic brushless setup.

Thank for the time. This will be the first kit I assemble so I'm thinking of using it a test base to learn how to do everything correctly. After it I have some classic re re's to follow!

Thank you very much once again!

272186440_10226314813726237_9209190620204313350_n.jpg

Welcome

I can't help with the driver figure as I don't do interiors 😕

Bearings,  yes loads of sets on eBay

Machine screws, not need really but again there's some stainless screw sets on eBay, even titanium screw's if you like.

Rear wheel spacers, tamiya did a longer axle set which would increase the track by about 10mm  part number 53332, there maybe a modern equivalent!?.

Hop ups, wow loads and loads, best do a quick search on here👍

19 hours ago, goncalop said:

Do you have a suggestion for a driver figure?

Tamiya 54298 LHD cockpit (needs to be trimmed)

19 hours ago, goncalop said:

From the images it looks like the rear wheels sit a little too much inside the body. Is there a spacer kit?

That is correct. Front and rear Hubs have different offset. Watch out that you dont Mix it up, its mixed up on many pictures. The aforementioned long rear axle kit is near impossible to get. There might be an alternative by integriert or similar. Tamiya 54573 or similar spacers between hex and hub help too.

Another Alternative is 30mm rear wheels, like 50549... to be paired with fitting Front wheels (design) of course.

Hop ups : bearings and better tires (53293) and brushless/lipo and gearing. I can recommend 2800-3600kv and a 25t steel Pinion (Module 0.6). 

Optionally also spring Set 53333 for front and 53163 for rear, so you can tune around. 

If you want to do a bit diy,  think about bending stabilizers from spring stell wire (1-1.2mm) and mounting a cooling Fan.

Thank you very much for the replies guys! I will note this all down and prepare for the build eheh! 

On 6/19/2022 at 12:38 AM, goncalop said:
  • Is there a machine screw kit for this model? I searched on RC-Schrauben but couldn't find any.

If you meant the German online shop RC-Schrauben.de, you can also try Schraube-Mutter.de. The prices are much cheaper and the quality is (also) good.

The common used M3 rounded head screws in the lengths 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and 14mm should be sufficient for the TA03R.

If the kit parts don't give you the desired rear width there are lots of wider wheel hexes available on eBay for cheap. 

On 6/20/2022 at 4:07 PM, Sgt.Speirs said:

If you meant the German online shop RC-Schrauben.de, you can also try Schraube-Mutter.de. The prices are much cheaper and the quality is (also) good.

The common used M3 rounded head screws in the lengths 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and 14mm should be sufficient for the TA03R.

Thanks for the suggestion! I ended up going with the stantard tamiya bolts for this one as the minimum order was 50€ and this is a test for my building skills anyway :P

I have quite some more kits to build so I guess I'll see the most common used screws and make a big order so I can have the required stock and meet the minimum order!!

Just finished! I think it looks great in gunmetal grey and it drives beautifully! Made some mistakes when applying the stickers but I think that's to be expcted - this was my first time doing a proper kit.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

IMG_20220625_231658.jpg

• Like 4

What wheels did you go for? Did you change them for anything with a different offset?

On 6/26/2022 at 11:22 PM, Superluminal said:

What wheels did you go for? Did you change them for anything with a different offset?

Hey, Sorry for the dealy!

Yes, I ended up going with @GermanTA03Guy suggestion of 50549 and 50548.

It looks like this:

IMG_20220628_192353.jpg

IMG_20220628_192402.jpg

IMG_20220628_192425.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks! I went for PS-23 (Gunmetal Grey) backed with PS-5 (Black). Although I like the white of the box art, I think I prefer it in this dark colour, looks meaner ehehe.

I ended up using the standard silver can with a 1060esc I had laying around and I definitely feel like I need more power ahaha

On 6/30/2022 at 9:42 AM, goncalop said:

I ended up using the standard silver can with a 1060esc I had laying around and I definitely feel like I need more power ahaha

Yea and the chassis and gears can take it, no Problem. Just mind the Distance between pinion and Spur, not too much of a gap, and tighten the motor down Properly, so it doenst lotsen, otherwise you will Ruin the Spur.

I would suggest a carson dragster 14t combo. Alternatively also 16t is still quite alright with the large 25t pinion.

I wouldnt Go overboard though, otherwise itll be a point and shoot (and flip) missile...

Nice color choice, would also be cool with some top force stickers wouldnt it... 

• Thanks 1

Great kit – and great choice of color as well!

As others have already mentioned, ball bearings are a necessity with that kit. I would also upgrade to the hi-torque servo saver (#51000) or use a direct servo horn.

A couple of other tips to set up the car:

• If you want to bring the ride height down while using the CVA dampers you can add the V11 spacer on all four dampers (in the rear in addition to the V3 part)
  • You can also use heavier damper oil to stiffen the car, I am currently using 3000 CST in front and 5000 in the back
  • If you don't run a super powerful motor you can safely remove the center belt tensioner. It saves a little bit of weight and the drivetrain will run a bit more freely

• Thanks 1