Robbo29

Tamiya esc fan

Hi all

It seems the Tamiya tfu-01 has been discontinued.

Is there any other make compatible?

or is it just worth getting another brand sensored esc with a fan?

Thanks

• Like 1

Search eBay for Raspberry-Pi fans (30x30mm, 5v, 2-pin connectors). You can get a 5-pack for $12. They work with 6V ESC output fine, just plug to an open channel in your receiver. I have had good results with them cooling down ESCs and motors even on dusty rally cars.

2 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Search eBay for Raspberry-Pi fans (30x30mm, 5v, 2-pin connectors). You can get a 5-pack for $12. They work with 6V ESC output fine, just plug to an open channel in your receiver. I have had good results with them cooling down ESCs and motors even on dusty rally cars.

Thank you!

This is the kind of thinking I like 👍

Pi fans are slow speed low airflow though... designed for quietness. 

Modern racing ESC/motor fans today are like rated for 10,000rpm & sound like a jet plane taking off :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WillyChang said:

Modern racing ESC/motor fans today are like rated for 10,000rpm & sound like a jet plane taking off :P

If I can’t find a appropriate fan I will have to get a sensored brushless esc 👍

Why do you want the fan? Are you having problems with the Tamiya ESC?

If you are having problems, I would simply replace it. It isn't very good. A Hobbywing sensored ESC is much better.

You will only need a fan if the ESC is overheating. But again, if it is overheating, I would replace it rather than put good money after bad.

29 minutes ago, sosidge said:

Why do you want the fan? Are you having problems with the Tamiya ESC?

If you are having problems, I would simply replace it. It isn't very good. A Hobbywing sensored ESC is much better.

You will only need a fan if the ESC is overheating. But again, if it is overheating, I would replace it rather than put good money after bad.

To run the 10.5 and stop the thermal shut down…

It coughs and splutters a fair bit, the fan is recommended for the esc with that motor.

Not bothered to stay Tamiya, open to alternatives

On 6/21/2022 at 1:30 AM, WillyChang said:

Indeed the Pi fans are fairly slow, but at the same time they have a very low current draw, are low cost, low weight, probably longer life too. It would be a trade-off between peak cooling performance :)

My usage of them in HW1060 ESC coupled with a Super Stock TZ motor using the longest possible gear ratio on a TT-02 (5.74 FDR) on a hot day (~30C) has been very positive. Having one Pi fan on top of the ESC and another one on top of the motor heatsink has enabled parking lot racing for me. Without the fans, the ESC would reach thermal shutdown in ~5 minutes and the motor heatsink would burn your finger to the bone. Attaching one fan on each, I can race all day long and can even touch the motor heatsink for a few seconds. I now need a fan to keep me cool, weather is so hot and humid!

On 6/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, OoALEJOoO said:

I now need a fan to keep me cool, weather is so hot and humid!

Water cooling >> air cooled :ph34r:

Beer? :lol:

• Haha 1

Surpass makes one of the fastest fans cased in aluminum. ranging from 21,000 to 32,000rpm fans. I have a lot of them. Some installed in my kits while others for spares. 

And yes, it is compatible with most ESC. You only need to change the plug if needed.

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

Surpass makes one of the fastest fans cased in aluminum. ranging from 21,000 to 32,000rpm fans. I have a lot of them. Some installed in my kits while others for spares. 

And yes, it is compatible with most ESC. You only need to change the plug if needed.

Thanks for the recommendation, it’s just mounting it without the Tamiya bits to figure out 👍

4 hours ago, Robbo29 said:

Thanks for the recommendation, it’s just mounting it without the Tamiya bits to figure out 👍

I'm going to have the same problem soon. 

Please keep this thread updated so I can copy what you did to solve that Tamiya discontinued the fan kit. 

8 hours ago, Robbo29 said:

Usual ESC fans are measured at either 25x25mm or 30x30mm. SO mounting won't be an issue at all. Also, Surpass comes in different sizes so you have options. :)

https://surpasshobbyusa.net/accessories/cooling-fans/?sort=featured&page=1

Just wonder how to mount though, I think that the Tamiya fan kit has some kind of mounting bracket.

what’s an effective way of mounting a fan without a bracket?

On 7/2/2022 at 4:09 PM, Robbo29 said:

Just wonder how to mount though, I think that the Tamiya fan kit has some kind of mounting bracket.

what’s an effective way of mounting a fan without a bracket?

You can customize according to where you're putting your ESC. I have done a few mods on mounting using a 2mm carbon fiber sheet/board and a few spacers.