EsotericRC

Re:re Hotshot/Super Hotshot...brushless motor limit?

Has anyone tested the limit of the Re:re Hotshot/Super HotShot gearboxes for brushless motors? Am doing a modded build on a Supershot using new Re:re gearboxes and gears that I will be adding MIP Ball diffs to as well. Planning on running it on a brushless motor and switching to LiPo and wondering what the limit is for brushless motors for it. I have an original LRP Sphere and Reedy Neo One Sensored Brushless motor in my touring car that I was considering moving to the Supershot once it's done. From what I see online, they say that the original Neo One BL motor was a 3-star, 7.5T motor. Would this motor be "too much" for the Re:re Hotshot gears? Maybe I would be better off with a 10.5T BL motor? Anyone tested the limits and care to share their experience? 

I am running a castle creations 5700 kv motor  in mine for a while and it is fine, no problems with the gears, the only thing that wear out fast are the outdrives.

If built properly I think it would handle the 7.5 t , you could always turn down your controller  10 or 20% if you thought it was too much.
have you run the car yet?
I have built a Bigwig with the MIP ball diffs, and don’t get me wrong they are awesome but I had big issues with the MIP dog bones Being too short, I fitted vintage Top Force Evo uni joints and that sorted my issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dannymulder said:

I am running a castle creations 5700 kv motor  in mine for a while and it is fine, no problems with the gears, the only thing that wear out fast are the outdrives.

Good to know. Thanks for the input.

4 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

If built properly I think it would handle the 7.5 t , you could always turn down your controller  10 or 20% if you thought it was too much.
have you run the car yet?
I have built a Bigwig with the MIP ball diffs, and don’t get me wrong they are awesome but I had big issues with the MIP dog bones Being too short, I fitted vintage Top Force Evo uni joints and that sorted my issues.

Thanks for the input. I have not actually run it yet. Just started a build thread, and what started out as a modest resto-mod of the vintage Supershot I built in 1986, has snowballed into 2 separate builds; a vintage restoration for the shelf, and a modded build using Rere and aftermarket parts. Good to know about the MIP dogbones. I was planning on running CVDs/Unis on the modded build that will get the MIP Ball Diffs...just need to figure out which CVD's will work on my setup since i'm working on adapting the C-hubs and uprights/hubs from the DF03 chassis to work on it. If you wanna see the build, it can be found here:

• Like 2

To be fair, I think you'll come up against the basic limitations of the actual chassis before having issues with the gears. 

4 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

To be fair, I think you'll come up against the basic limitations of the actual chassis before having issues with the gears. 

This is what I was going to say. Even with the silver can in my rere Hotshot, the suspension and chassis design seems to be more of a performance limit than the motor!!

21 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

17 hours ago, AJB123 said:

This is what I was going to say. Even with the silver can in my rere Hotshot, the suspension and chassis design seems to be more of a performance limit than the motor!!

Fair enough. In the build of this Supershot (see link above), am working to improve upon it's chassis and suspension. Have a carbon chassis en-route that utilizes the steering from an M05 to correct the torque steer that the original setup was known for. Am also adapting suspension from a DF03 to work on it with some 3D printed arms, etc. So, hopefully, the chassis will be more up to the task, so to speak...