Sign in to follow this  
OliveJacksonRC

Tamiya Grease

Just purchased a Grasshopper kit which came with the classic "Tamiya Grease" to use.  I went to my local hobby shop and they had some Traxxas grease, but were not sure if it was 1:1. 

Anyone know what a 1:1 with the generic "Tamiya Grease" would be?  There are no ingredients or other information (probably by design) from Tamiya on the packet. 

It's ceramic grease.  

Basically it's grease with microscopic sand beads.  As you can imagine, it's not the best material because it's like sand-blasting.  My guess is that's why soft aluminum pinion gears turn into gray goo.  But sand is cheaper than good material like Teflon.  There are ceramic grease made for bicycle chains. But chains are steel. They can withstand microscopic sand beads a lot better than aluminum pinion gears.  

So, if you want a cheap and plentiful alternative for Tamiya's grease, I would recommend Super Lube Teflon grease.  It's ever so slightly on the stickier side, but you could hardly tell.  Instead of sand beads, it's got the slickest plastic beads, Teflon.  It should be much easier on aluminum gears, and it's plastic safe too.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBH9HI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What color is the grease? I mean no offense to Juggular, as he is honestly a bit of an expert on greases (and bearings!) but the Grasshopper kit I had, came with the old generic "Tamiya Grease" which is translucent clear and seems more like petroleum jelly than the solid white Ceramic Grease Tamiya includes in their higher level kits.

• Like 1

I think the GH comes with the basic grease as @Saito2mentioned.. and I searched eBay, but I guess no one sells their unused kit grease tubes.  

I think the kit tube should last a long while especially if one's using ball bearings as there is no need to grease their plastic bushings.   There is no need to pack the gear box with grease.  Just a light application is all that's needed.  

• Like 1

yeah the clear jelly free grease is best kept only for bushings & bearings; don’t put particulate compounds into ballraces 

Gear teeth I use T Moly grease in closed gearboxes. Sparingly - 1 tube lasts like 50 cars worth. :) 

• Like 1