Gebbly

Battery to ESC connection?

Just after opinions please. Looking at NiMH batteries they all seem to come with either a Tamiya or Deans connector. The ESC I was looking to purchase for my kit (Hobbywing 1080) seems to only come with an XT60 connector.

Do NiMH batteries with XT60 connectors exist? Would people use a Deans to XT60 adapter? Or would you cut off one of the connectors and solder on a replacement in which case would you cut off the XT60 from the ESC and solder on a Deans connector or cut off the Deans from the battery and solder on an XT60?

Is there any danger associated with soldering a replacement connector on a batteries wires?

I use an adapter for many years with my 1080. That said I use it only for my CC01 with 55T motor. For high currents it is better to replace the connector.

Replacing must be done careful but there are others TC members with more knowledge about this.

• Like 1

Thanks No Slack. For context this particular battery will be going in a GF-01 with the stock torque tuned 18T motor.

Any type of adaptors exists in any combination, but specific to your application, yes, Deans to XT60 exists. I use them all the time as my battery are Deans and charger is XT60. I made some myself and purchased some ready made ones as well. 

However as stated, it is best to change one to match another if possible. It is not possible to change the one on my charger therefore I have to use an adaptor although I am considering changing everything (batteries, ESCs) over to XT60. 

Replacing connectors on NiMHs are safer than on lipos (which stress me out) as a quick short on NiMHs will usually not cause an explosion. 

BTW a Torque Tuned is 25T not 18T.

• Like 1

If you are changing battery connections remover to cut one wire at a time. Don’t go Gung-ho and cut both together or you’ll get a nasty shock!!! I usually cut one wire and solder it to the new plug then do the next. That way there is little chance of them coming into contact with each other. This is especially true as @alvinlwh says when dealing with lipos!!! Some companies like Modelsport offer a plug fitting service with new batteries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I usually cut one wire and solder it to the new plug then do the next.

That is what I do, but still scares me S-less when working on hard wired lipos. The best are those with banana (?) plugs into the battery and I can work on them completely disconnected. 

I had recently blew up a vape device with only 800mah 1S and it was quite a bang with scary damage. One can only imagine the damage a 5000mah 2S will do. 😱

• Like 1

Well those stories and more online were enough to scare me off soldering anywhere near a battery. I contacted Overlander who can build batteries to spec. I asked about a battery with an XT60 connector and they added it to their normal range. I've ordered https://www.overlander.co.uk/nimh-batteries/7-2v-6s/subc-5000mah-7-2v-premium-sport-nimh-battery.html with the XT60 connector.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gebbly said:

Is there any danger associated with soldering a replacement connector on a batteries wires?

None as long as you're experienced to do it. If this is the first time you're doing it, don't. Let someone who is qualified to do it for you. Soldering can be very tricky for first timers but can be learned over time. I have replaced all by battery connectors to deans. From XT, banana and Tamiya plugs. I like deans plug the best among others.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

BTW a Torque Tuned is 25T not 18T

Thanks Alvinwh, I keep mixing up the "T" of the pinion gear with the "T" of the motor :/

@Gebbly I recommend you try soldering.  It's one of those skills that is almost required when working on RC and electronics things.   I am sure you can watch YouTube videos on how to solder properly.  I didn't have that in the early 80's when I first tried soldering... basically self taught after my older brother's friend showed me one time.  Yes, I've had plenty of accidents including burning my hand multiple times, (once very badly) but that is because I am dumb and clumsy..  we all do it.  :D 

Once you get the hang of it, try rewiring the battery connector.. one terminal at a time.  It's not dangerous as long as you don't have bare + and - wires in close proximity.  I do it all the time; still build my own NiMH batteries even for cars that only take humpbacks.  

• Like 3

Thanks Willy iine. Its definitely something I would like to have a go at but I think I'll start with something other than a battery.

I'd cut the XT60 plug off the esc, and solder on a deans (T plug).

Although, guessing that voids any warranty on the esc (never had a dodgy hobbywing esc, but never owned a 1080 either, mainly as ,if I'm running anywhere near the 1060's 12t limit, I'm going brushless) 

Deans are more common in the uk, than the XT60 (seem to popular over the pond), so it'll make life easier in the long run, especially if you upgrade to lipo down the line. 

Both Deans and XT60 are rated to 60amps , so there's no difference in that respect.

I like these from hobbyking, as they have a plastic cover, for the factory look (ie, hides any, less photogenic, soldering...🙄)

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/t-style-connector-male-female-with-insulating-caps-10-pairs.html?___store=en_us

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 2:13 PM, Gebbly said:

Thanks Willy iine. Its definitely something I would like to have a go at but I think I'll start with something other than a battery.

Then change the plug on the ESC instead. Instead of just cutting the old one off, you can de-solder it off instead. 

• Like 1

Venom batteries come with XT60 connectors as well as adapters for Traxxas, Deans, and EC3.  They are slightly more expensive, but from my experience last longer and are better quality than most of the other made in China batteries available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401016091311?epid=1605571075&hash=item5d5e6bf2af:g:zloAAOSwHrldn9~-

If you need a Tamiya adapter, you can get that too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/330973696841?hash=item4d0f91d349:g:DpUAAOxyPc5R-Cx1

• Like 1