svenb

Scammer warning

Beware of @FZXRT

Has contacted me regarding a wanted post I posted, sent me a very old image taken from the internet,.

A image of a battery from JR-RC.

He has zero posts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

he did the same to me, contacted me saying he has db01 shock towers I asked to post pics in my wanted ad, and never heard from him again, as soon as I saw he has 0 posts I knew something was up.

• Like 1

Yup, same here, miraculously offering me an FF03 Aluminium Bumper that I posted as a 'Wanted' ad

Zero posts + zero engagement = zero trust x zero response

That's anti-scam maths folks!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

And he was looking at this very thread! 

LyvWro5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I'm on a couple of other forums and their rule is a minimum of posts before you can PM or access the sales/wanted section 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, svenb said:

I'm on a couple of other forums and their rule is a minimum of posts before you can PM or access the sales/wanted section 

@netsmithUK how about it?

• Like 4

Just noticed my post count isn't very high! ;) but well done for spotting !

I used to be in some Airgun sites and those had strict posting criteria. No posts no Sales/trades. I think you had to hit 50 to qualify 

The most we can do is flag as spammer. This restricts their posting ability. I'm not sure what you guys see on your end. But, I do agree there should be a ban/block button for scammers and some sort of gatekeeping for access to trades.

I definitely agree a minimum post or a length of time being a member on the forum, but I have seen people post random stuff on other forums just to get to the minimum post limit.

I haven't posted much I probably read more than I post. Most of my posts would probably be in the for sales area buying bits.

It is a difficult one for the mods being on the forum all the time and they do rely on the long standing member to spot the scammers, or if something isn't right.

He contacted me as well. To his credit,  he emailed photos of the sought-after product that weren't obvious stock images and didn't show up in a Google image search.

BUT his name was a typically anglosaxon name, yet his posts contained lexical mistakes that no semi-competent English speaker (much less a native speaker) would make. Confusing first and last name, for instance. 

When he insisted that he could *only* take PP friends and family, the scam was even more obvious. He did assure me that he wasn't going to run off with my payment, LOL  

• Haha 2

I started a post in the suspicious traders sub-forum about this very guy. Still waiting on approval but looks like my assumptions about him are correct.

Was wondering if he had contacted anyone else.

-RC Perspective

He messaged me for a GF01 for sale as well, look a like he was trying everything he could.

Yep, also messaged me re the 53115 universals - seems to have a wide range of spares and rare parts available if he isnt dodgy!

Anyone dodgy should be blocked immediately. Hopefully whoever the mods are have done so. As in the meantime he will be emailing others.

• Like 1

So does this mean I won’t be getting the three gallons of #200 shock oil that I requested?  I offered him $1 per gallon.  Seems like a fair price…

• Haha 3

I am on another full size car forum. A scammer put a lot of leg work in to build up a reputable profile and then took several people for a lot of money. The scammer had a good post count over a long period of time. Warning should have been that all of the post were on off-topic subjects not the core topic of the forum. Noone spotted it though.

As a result of that the forum introduced a rule that all for-sale stuff must offer  to accept payment by PayPal (not pp friends/gift). Any add refusing that is removed.

Users still have option to buy using cash or bank transfer, but that it's their risk having chosen to sidestep PayPal protection option.

I think that approach works well.

• Like 4

I do agree with @Bluest2 about PayPal fees  the seller just adds the fee to their price. If someone wants to pay cash and collect then it's a bit less.

Another option is that the sales post has to have a photo of the item for sale and included in that image is a piece of paper with the sellers name and the date which is handwritten.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 6:03 PM, alvinlwh said:

And he was looking at this very thread! 

LyvWro5.jpg

I bloooody love this post, mwhahahahahahharr!🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

On 6/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, svenb said:

Beware of @FZXRT

Has contacted me regarding a wanted post I posted, sent me a very old image taken from the internet,.

A image of a battery from JR-RC.

He has zero posts

Just wondered if anyone had been contacted recently in a similar way about a wanted post you’ve left in the trades section by any new zero posts members, and hence if these scammers are still lurking..? I suspect I just have been.

Not personally but I dont think anything has changed on the forum policy recently to stop people trading or sending PMs without a minimum amount of content first or a time limit, so likely still going on - if its for the F201 chassis you are after id just be very wary on the basis of its rarerity and the chances of whos likeltly to have one, plus its unlikely to be cheap either so quite risky if you are not 100% sure. I dont think id trade with anyone who doesnt have at least a few posts on reasonable or genuine sounding topics or were an established member off of the main site.

• Like 1

This is why you should always ask for a picture of a fish included in the pictures of the model for sale.

You should probably invent another character into the fold to cement the idea that you always ask for confirmation of your accounts with a picture of a fish as per the old 419 scams. 

419 trophy room will explain all to those who don't know.

• Like 3

Wanted

Scammer to play games with.

Waste your time.

Stop you from scamming others because you're too busy working with me.

Have a great laugh at each other while you think you're scamming me, but you're not.

No financial investment needed.

Apply within...

How's that??

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, futureworks said:

Just wondered if anyone had been contacted recently in a similar way about a wanted post you’ve left in the trades section by any new zero posts members, and hence if these scammers are still lurking..? I suspect I just have been.

I've not had any recently but then I haven't put a wanted add up!

Have agree with me old mate @Superluminal about only dealing with established users