EsotericRC

Real benefit to 2.4Ghz controllers over older 75Mhz ones?

I recently got back into RC after a long hiatus to introduce my 10 year old son to the hobby. Dug out some of my old gear and have these 2 older controllers set up in 2 of our cars:

IMG_9024.thumb.jpg.baf3cfa8495b0b7b9c1035a8b6719424.jpg

A Futaba 3PM-FM and a JR Racing XR2i, both from maybe 2003 or 2004. Both are 75Mhz and work perfectly fine currently in the cars they are setup in, but I am planning on picking a newer buggy kit for my son to build (maybe a TD4 Super Avante) and I am doing a modded Supershot build for myself, and was wondering if I should keep using these controllers (I actually have an additional receiver and servos for the Futaba that were in an old Nitro 4-Tec Pro before), or upgrade to more modern 2.4Ghz controllers. Am not going to be racing or anything, just bashing around and having fun in the small backyard dirt track I am planning on building as well. What are the real-world benefits to newer 2.4Ghz controllers over maintaining use of the older 75Mhz ones? Thanks in advance!

For me, there are 2 advantages:

1. No lengthy antenna, both on the TX side and RX side, which means no need for a lengthy tube sticking out of the car (tends to break in rollovers). 

2. Model memory, control a number of RX with just one TX, thus reducing cost. (note: I only had basic AM 27 units in the past, so more fancy ones may have memory, idk) 

Coming from Australia I have only a few FM setups, the rest is all AM, AM is notorious for runaways , weak crystals.

It is just more reliable to use 2.4 ghz , I run my vintage cars , seeing my vintage rebuilt Dyna Storm take off full tilt with an AM system  was enough for me.

12 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

For me, there are 2 advantages:

1. No lengthy antenna, both on the TX side and RX side, which means no need for a lengthy tube sticking out of the car (tends to break in rollovers). 

2. Model memory, control a number of RX with just one TX, thus reducing cost. (note: I only had basic AM 27 units in the past, so more fancy ones may have memory, idk) 

Thanks for the input. #1 is definitely a plus that I hadn't even thought about. Not having a long antenna to deal with on both the controller and the vehicle would be great. For that alone, I just might have to pick up a 2.4Ghz system for whatever newer buggy kit my son ends up building. 

#2 is definitely a benefit, but my older Futaba 3PM does have a 10 model memory. The JR Racing has a 2 model memory, I believe. I have an extra receiver and servos for the Futaba, but not for the JR XR2i, so if I was to try to use that for other models, would have to find an extra receiver, etc. Would probably just be better off putting that $$ towards a 2.4Ghz setup...

7 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Coming from Australia I have only a few FM setups, the rest is all AM, AM is notorious for runaways , weak crystals.

It is just more reliable to use 2.4 ghz , I run my vintage cars , seeing my vintage rebuilt Dyna Storm take off full tilt with an AM system  was enough for me.

Thanks for the input. of the 2 I have, the Futaba is an FM setup and the JR Racing is AM. I think a runaway would be my biggest fear with any of the older stuff. So far, have not gotten any interference or glitching with either, but we have only been running the cars at home on the driveway or at a friend's house....both are pretty rural so not much risk. Seeing the cars drive off uncontrollably would be the worst though, so it's looking likely that I will replace at least the JR Racing AM setup with a newer 2.4Ghz setup. 

Thank you both for the input!

If you look around, sometimes on ebay or Hobbyking, Banggood, AliExpress, etc., you can get Flysky (I think) branded or generic 2.4 controllers for as little as USD20 with receiver, shipped.

I have used several. They are basic, but all have worked flawlessly. 

• Like 2

I love older electronics. I love the look and feel of a lot of the older transmitters. I have a small collection of various transmitters from various eras. To me, they are great for seldom run cars. I have a handful of reasons.

Crystals. The problem of people being on the same frequency as you are pretty much long gone. The problem now is with crystals being less obtainable, it is far more difficult to find crystals matching your current set, or even new sets. The 2.4 negates that need.

Batteries. All of my older transmitters use 8 AA batteries. I did convert one to use an 8-cell NIMH pack, but even still, it's heavy. I currently use a GT3C and it has a rechargeable lithium battery in it. Plug it in via USB and it's good to go.

Interference. This isn't as big of an issue as it once was back in the day since many devices have moved off of the AM and FM bands. The biggest thing that is nice is that the newer transmitters have a system where it does a quick search over the frequency band and picks out a band that no one is currently using. In general, it makes it very easy if you are out where people are racing or getting together to bash.

Size. This really is my favorite benefit. The transmitters tend to be smaller and lighter, which is nice. The receivers are typically tiny. With that, higher end radio setups will have antenna-less receivers.

52177639453_237523c9e5_c.jpg

This shows the size difference between the Flysky receiver and an older Futaba receiver.

52177885129_5aa5918eb0_c.jpg

This shows how well you can tuck one of those receivers in an older chassis like this TA02T. I have them in various cars like Losi Mini-Ts and some more modern chassis. They are awesome for clean electronic installs.

52178128350_537062e55b_c.jpg

This Futaba is my favorite older transmitter in my collection. It has the 8-rechargeable battery in it and it's with the GT3C that I use. The GT3C is more ergonomic and significantly lighter.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mrowka said:

If you look around, sometimes on ebay or Hobbyking, Banggood, AliExpress, etc., you can get Flysky (I think) branded or generic 2.4 controllers for as little as USD20 with receiver, shipped.

I have used several. They are basic, but all have worked flawlessly. 

Thanks. Will have to check them out. One of those might be perfect for my son's first controller setup.

14 hours ago, Tbird232ci said:

I love older electronics. I love the look and feel of a lot of the older transmitters. I have a small collection of various transmitters from various eras. To me, they are great for seldom run cars. I have a handful of reasons.

Crystals. The problem of people being on the same frequency as you are pretty much long gone. The problem now is with crystals being less obtainable, it is far more difficult to find crystals matching your current set, or even new sets. The 2.4 negates that need.

Batteries. All of my older transmitters use 8 AA batteries. I did convert one to use an 8-cell NIMH pack, but even still, it's heavy. I currently use a GT3C and it has a rechargeable lithium battery in it. Plug it in via USB and it's good to go.

Interference. This isn't as big of an issue as it once was back in the day since many devices have moved off of the AM and FM bands. The biggest thing that is nice is that the newer transmitters have a system where it does a quick search over the frequency band and picks out a band that no one is currently using. In general, it makes it very easy if you are out where people are racing or getting together to bash.

Size. This really is my favorite benefit. The transmitters tend to be smaller and lighter, which is nice. The receivers are typically tiny. With that, higher end radio setups will have antenna-less receivers.

52177639453_237523c9e5_c.jpg

This shows the size difference between the Flysky receiver and an older Futaba receiver.

52177885129_5aa5918eb0_c.jpg

This shows how well you can tuck one of those receivers in an older chassis like this TA02T. I have them in various cars like Losi Mini-Ts and some more modern chassis. They are awesome for clean electronic installs.

52178128350_537062e55b_c.jpg

This Futaba is my favorite older transmitter in my collection. It has the 8-rechargeable battery in it and it's with the GT3C that I use. The GT3C is more ergonomic and significantly lighter.

Thanks for the input. ALL great points. It's looking more and more like I will probably make the jump to 2.4Ghz soon. Am definitely gonna look into the Flysky stuff for my son's upcoming build since he doesn't need anything fancy. 

Funny thing is...I have that same Futaba Magnum Junior! Was actually my first controller that I bought when I built my first hobby grade RC, a Tamiya Frog. Musta been 1983 or 1984. I recently found it, along with the remnants of my old Frog and Supershot...but unfortunately I doubt it is still functional.IMG_9033.thumb.jpg.3e9772897dfb7a4deef33ffad385a773.jpg

Something is definitely broken inside of the steering part of the controller. It doesn't return to center, and feels crunchy if you try to turn the wheel.

Anyway, thanks again for the input. It's much appreciated!

4 hours ago, EsotericRC said:

Thanks for the input. ALL great points. It's looking more and more like I will probably make the jump to 2.4Ghz soon. Am definitely gonna look into the Flysky stuff for my son's upcoming build since he doesn't need anything fancy. 

I got 2 Turbo Racing P32 for my kids, they are 3 and 6 yo, so smaller hands and that is perfect for them. They took to it no problem at all.

The P32 has some advantages over the Flysky GT3 (which I also have the equivalent of, the CR3P). It uses 4xAAA instead of AA, so smaller and lighter. It's RX is smaller (easier installation) and there is the option of using a gyro equipped one. Its menu sucks compared to the GT3 though and there are no direct trim adjustment. I am so impressed by it that I am planning to get a A82 (higher end model) for myself. 

Also, there is the RadioLink RC4GS which is rated well by owners here as well. (don't own one, considered it in the past before) 

Just a few suggestions for you in your search. There are a few cheap as chips radios from China that are actually rather good. 

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

I got 2 Turbo Racing P32 for my kids, they are 3 and 6 yo, so smaller hands and that is perfect for them. They took to it no problem at all.

The P32 has some advantages over the Flysky GT3 (which I also have the equivalent of, the CR3P). It uses 4xAAA instead of AA, so smaller and lighter. It's RX is smaller (easier installation) and there is the option of using a gyro equipped one. Its menu sucks compared to the GT3 though and there are no direct trim adjustment. I am so impressed by it that I am planning to get a A82 (higher end model) for myself. 

Also, there is the RadioLink RC4GS which is rated well by owners here as well. (don't own one, considered it in the past before) 

Just a few suggestions for you in your search. There are a few cheap as chips radios from China that are actually rather good. 

Thanks! Will definitely check all of those out. I've always been partial to Futaba controllers...probably because that was what I started with, but these newer ones coming out of China look pretty **** good. And for the price...seems hard to beat. Thanks again!

Ironically since everyone else has moved to 2.4ghz you can probably stay with AM or FM. The big issue was interference and that isn't a thing now.

You say that you know Futaba from BiTD. I'm with you. Futaba and Sanwa gear is subjectively nicer than Flysky etc. I have a mix,  but my favourite is my Sanwa MT4S. My son has a Futaba 3PV which does everything and is nice and small for his small hands

If you are commited to RC then think about what youreally want. Radio gear is a once off purchase which seems a lot but over 10 years its nothing.

Consider the cost of rx though as you will end up with all the cars...

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Ironically since everyone else has moved to 2.4ghz you can probably stay with AM or FM. The big issue was interference and that isn't a thing now.

You say that you know Futaba from BiTD. I'm with you. Futaba and Sanwa gear is subjectively nicer than Flysky etc. I have a mix,  but my favourite is my Sanwa MT4S. My son has a Futaba 3PV which does everything and is nice and small for his small hands

If you are commited to RC then think about what youreally want. Radio gear is a once off purchase which seems a lot but over 10 years its nothing.

Consider the cost of rx though as you will end up with all the cars...

Thanks for the input. The Futaba 3PV is originally what I was looking to get for my son if I made the switch to 2.4Ghz, but am considering some of these others just due to cost and "bang for your buck" since it will be my son's first tx. For myself, I'll probably stick with Futaba, mainly because i'm sort of a loyalist to the brands I grew up with. Kinda the same reason I'm getting my son a Tamiya kit to build. There's lots of great buggy kits from other companies, but Tamiya kits are what I started building in the 80's, so a Tamiya kit is what he's gonna start on. In fact, I just ordered him a TD4 Super Avante this morning, so looking forward to having him build it with me overseeing/teaching as he progresses through the build. Pretty excited.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the input. It's much appreciated!

• Like 2

Take a look here, I had asked about controllers about a year ago and there are some feedback on various models, although some you may not be able to get in the states. Also, they are of the lower priced "bang for buck" range. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EsotericRC said:

Thanks for the input. The Futaba 3PV is originally what I was looking to get for my son if I made the switch to 2.4Ghz, but am considering some of these others just due to cost and "bang for your buck" since it will be my son's first tx. For myself, I'll probably stick with Futaba, mainly because i'm sort of a loyalist to the brands I grew up with. Kinda the same reason I'm getting my son a Tamiya kit to build. There's lots of great buggy kits from other companies, but Tamiya kits are what I started building in the 80's, so a Tamiya kit is what he's gonna start on. In fact, I just ordered him a TD4 Super Avante this morning, so looking forward to having him build it with me overseeing/teaching as he progresses through the build. Pretty excited.

There are some cheaper clone rx available for Futaba as well from Banggood, Aliexpress ajd Amazon. I have a few and they work fine and are roughly half the price of a Futaba one. Nows a good time to check secondhand too as they have just released their new top model, the 10PX. There are a lot of 7PX and 7PXR for sale secondhand which are great buying.

• Like 1

I was browsing eBay and realized that the GT3c is becoming slightly more expensive and less abundant. It's still in the affordable realm but about twice the price I paid 4 or 5 years ago. The receivers are still in the 7 dollar range. 

I did forget to mention that you can flash the firmware to add more channels, and/or add more model memory. 

I know you said you'd prefer Futaba which I cannot blame you for, but I wanted to toss that out there in case other people are reading and are exploring options the way you are. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, EsotericRC said:

This is literally what I did a few years ago. 

I have a ton of AM stuff.  (Almost all futaba.  I'm a bit brand loyal, it is what I had as a kid too.)

I got a 3PV so I could have one transmitter for 10 models.  But, it isn't really for "10 models" but 10 models settings.  You could have it on more, if two cars shared the same trim/settings.  You have to manually switch to which of the 10 profiles when you turn it on.  It does remember the last model profile you used.  You have to turn on/off the transmitter when you switch models.

I just got a couple more transmitters.  I figured one for me, one for my son and a spare/guess transmitter.  Well, each receiver can only be paired/remember one transmitter.  So, I might have the settings for a car in 2 transmitters, you'll have to relink them if it was on the other one last. 

Not as plug and play as I hopped.  And, it makes using the receiver box on cars like the TT-02B impractical if you switch transmitters. 

It does have a ton of other settings for tweaking things. 

The telemetry is a joke.  The 3PV with the more expensive receiver can ONLY tell you the voltage of your car's battery.  Lots of cool telemetry things exist (like speed of car), but not for this transmitter. 

That all being said, I kind of like AM better still.  No menus, no finding a setting.  Just a few knobs and switches.  And one for each car.  I haven't had any problems with interference, breaking antennas or runaways.  But, I'm trying not to be a dinosaur.  And continuing to get lots of AM stuff for new cars isn't practical anymore. 

Of the Futaba line up, I'd buy the 3PV again.  Please note, replacement battery trays for the 3PV are a support item only.  You can only buy them through Futaba technical customer support.  I fear batteries leaking, so I bought 3 extras, which was less than $20 shipped from Futaba USA. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tbird232ci said:

I was browsing eBay and realized that the GT3c is becoming slightly more expensive and less abundant. It's still in the affordable realm but about twice the price I paid 4 or 5 years ago. The receivers are still in the 7 dollar range. 

I did forget to mention that you can flash the firmware to add more channels, and/or add more model memory. 

I know you said you'd prefer Futaba which I cannot blame you for, but I wanted to toss that out there in case other people are reading and are exploring options the way you are. 

Good added info, and definitely great for any people in the future that are exploring options. Thanks for that. Interesting that you can flash firmware for added features....

1 hour ago, DTSCB said:

This is literally what I did a few years ago. 

I have a ton of AM stuff.  (Almost all futaba.  I'm a bit brand loyal, it is what I had as a kid too.)

I got a 3PV so I could have one transmitter for 10 models.  But, it isn't really for "10 models" but 10 models settings.  You could have it on more, if two cars shared the same trim/settings.  You have to manually switch to which of the 10 profiles when you turn it on.  It does remember the last model profile you used.  You have to turn on/off the transmitter when you switch models.

I just got a couple more transmitters.  I figured one for me, one for my son and a spare/guess transmitter.  Well, each receiver can only be paired/remember one transmitter.  So, I might have the settings for a car in 2 transmitters, you'll have to relink them if it was on the other one last. 

Not as plug and play as I hopped.  And, it makes using the receiver box on cars like the TT-02B impractical if you switch transmitters. 

It does have a ton of other settings for tweaking things. 

The telemetry is a joke.  The 3PV with the more expensive receiver can ONLY tell you the voltage of your car's battery.  Lots of cool telemetry things exist (like speed of car), but not for this transmitter. 

That all being said, I kind of like AM better still.  No menus, no finding a setting.  Just a few knobs and switches.  And one for each car.  I haven't had any problems with interference, breaking antennas or runaways.  But, I'm trying not to be a dinosaur.  And continuing to get lots of AM stuff for new cars isn't practical anymore. 

Of the Futaba line up, I'd buy the 3PV again.  Please note, replacement battery trays for the 3PV are a support item only.  You can only buy them through Futaba technical customer support.  I fear batteries leaking, so I bought 3 extras, which was less than $20 shipped from Futaba USA. 

Good info on the 3PV. Am still on the fence about what to get for my son. My plan is to get him his own controller, and to get myself a separate one. Would then set up "his" cars (currently a TT01 drift car, and soon to be a TD4 Super Avante) with receivers paired to his controller. My cars (currently a drift car and the modded Hotshot I am building, as well as some vintage cars I am going to be restoring) will have receivers paired to "my" controller. Am assuming in this case, we'd just need to pull up the stored model setting in the controller to switch from one model to the next? Or am I understanding the whole model memory incorrectly?
I do lean towards the Futaba controller for my son as well, but these cheaper alternatives sure are attractive from the price point perspective, even if they are more expensive than they once were...
Anyway, thanks for the added input!

24 minutes ago, EsotericRC said:

Good info on the 3PV. Am still on the fence about what to get for my son. My plan is to get him his own controller, and to get myself a separate one. Would then set up "his" cars (currently a TT01 drift car, and soon to be a TD4 Super Avante) with receivers paired to his controller. My cars (currently a drift car and the modded Hotshot I am building, as well as some vintage cars I am going to be restoring) will have receivers paired to "my" controller. Am assuming in this case, we'd just need to pull up the stored model setting in the controller to switch from one model to the next? Or am I understanding the whole model memory incorrectly?
I do lean towards the Futaba controller for my son as well, but these cheaper alternatives sure are attractive from the price point perspective, even if they are more expensive than they once were...
Anyway, thanks for the added input!

That is correct, just switch to your model when you turn it on.  With your plan you should be good to go. 

As for the cheaper ones, if you are 1:1 the 10+ model one will win out over time.  If you reuse one controller, it could be cheaper. 

1 hour ago, DTSCB said:

That is correct, just switch to your model when you turn it on.  With your plan you should be good to go. 

As for the cheaper ones, if you are 1:1 the 10+ model one will win out over time.  If you reuse one controller, it could be cheaper. 

OK, great. That's how my older 3PM was, so just making sure. I only had it set up for 2 models at one time, but was as easy as turning it on and selecting the model #. Ah, decisions, decisions...

one thing that nobody here seems to have mentioned is that the 2.4ghz transmitters do not have "channels" like the old 75mhz radios.  no need to make sure that your #88 transmitter and #88 receiver (car) are together when you drive off to the race track...  can't remember the number of times i had the wrong transmitter for a car.   or spending $15 to get another channel 88 crystal for your new car.

or the transmitter impound at the race...  so that you don't turn on your channel 88 transmitter in the pits while someone is racing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EsotericRC said:

soon to be a TD4 Super Avante

Normally, for beginners on budget starter cars (like TT, M, DT...), I will suggest the cheaper controllers to start out on the hobby. That way, no great lost if they decided not to proceed. Also, there is the cost to kit ratio* which can be huge especially with the more budget kits. 

HOWEVER, you clearly is not a beginner and is doing one of Tamiya’s latest and most expensive kit, I will say go for the more expensive ones. Even the cost ratio to the kit will not be that big (unless you go for some super top end model). 

*a branded radio set could cost as much as, or more than, one of the lower end kits, something that could put someone who don't know much but are thinking of starting in this hobby right off. You, however, clearly know what you are doing, so go with what you want I say. 

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Normally, for beginners on budget starter cars (like TT, M, DT...), I will suggest the cheaper controllers to start out on the hobby. That way, no great lost if they decided not to proceed. Also, there is the cost to kit ratio* which can be huge especially with the more budget kits. 

HOWEVER, you clearly is not a beginner and is doing one of Tamiya’s latest and most expensive kit, I will say go for the more expensive ones. Even the cost ratio to the kit will not be that big (unless you go for some super top end model). 

*a branded radio set could cost as much as, or more than, one of the lower end kits, something that could put someone who don't know much but are thinking of starting in this hobby right off. You, however, clearly know what you are doing, so go with what you want I say. 

Just my thoughts. 

Heh, that is definitely sound advice for people new to the hobby. While I am not new, I did take a LONG hiatus from the hobby and am now back with a vengeance. LOL. To be honest one of the reasons I have considered the cheaper controllers for him is the slight fear that his interest in RC, while strong right now, could possibly be short lived. I mean, he's 10...who knows how quickly his interests might change. My hope is that, by building it himself, and feeling the accomplishment and satisfaction that comes from being able to have a lot of fun running the thing that you built, makes him a lifelong fan. If not, well...more gear for me! Hah! Either way, the gear wouldn't be wasted...

3 hours ago, tim.senecal said:

one thing that nobody here seems to have mentioned is that the 2.4ghz transmitters do not have "channels" like the old 75mhz radios.  no need to make sure that your #88 transmitter and #88 receiver (car) are together when you drive off to the race track...  can't remember the number of times i had the wrong transmitter for a car.   or spending $15 to get another channel 88 crystal for your new car.

or the transmitter impound at the race...  so that you don't turn on your channel 88 transmitter in the pits while someone is racing.

Good point. Gone are the days of having to have a stash of crystals, just in case. That alone, is worth the cost of admission to switch!

16 hours ago, tim.senecal said:

This is dead and has been dead for a long time.  Every track I went to with my AM transmitters 5 years ago (when I started RC for a couple of years since the 90s), when I asked about channels always said, you'll be the only AM person.  Don't worry about it. 

Unless you go to some sort of vintage track night?

• Like 1