Alexei

paint flaking off

anybody got some tips on how to avoid paint flaking off from lexan bodyshells?

i do wash thoroughly with dish wash soup and let it dry properly before paint, but i get some spots of paint flaking off, from smaller impacts. im using Tamiya PS paints.

maybe im doing something wrong, or maybe thats just how it is?

Have you made sure you’ve shaken the can really well? If you’ve prepped well, which by the sounds of it you have, it should be ok. You say you washed with soap but did you rinse really well. If there is any soap deposits left that would account for the flaking?? Some people scotchbrite the shell as well as wash . I’ve never done this myself but I don’t think over ever had any flaking!!

Apply the paint very lightly, if you get it too thick it can crack and flake away. I’ve had this happen when I’m impatient and get to heavy handed with the can. Need to be patient which is something I’m not when building a kit 😂

For me, I make sure the dish soap does not have any hand moisturizing content..  For hard to wash areas, I blast it with motor spray or wipe down with IPA before spraying.

But I do remember some level of paint peeling off when the crash/impact was big enough.. but not all the time. The good thing is with polycarbonate, chances are you can match the color if it was just a single color paint for a seamless spot repair..

55 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I make sure the dish soap does not have any hand moisturizing content

The cheapest possible washing up liquid from the £/$ store works best as they have nothing "special" added. 

• Like 1

i rinse the soup away with water, shake can well and apply paint in thin coats. still i think the paint should hold up better than it have had with the small impacts i had.

i have no idea about hand moisturizing content in the dish soup i got, i will take a look at that. i dont scotchbrite, maybe it is something i should try.

The colour(s) you've used shouldn't by chance be fluorescent? Tamiya's PS fluorescent colours tend to flake quite much easier than the "normal" colours. As a matter of fact, I have tried a lot, but haven't found any method to make the fluorescent colours stick equally well as the other colours.