Sign in to follow this  
Mrowka

Kyosho tires

How do the rear tires from the Kyosho Tomahawk/Scorpion re re series (SCT002) compare with the spiked tires from the Optima re re or, for that matter, with the tires from the Turbo Optima re re ?

I imagine they (Scorpion) would be longer wearing on more varieties of surfaces. I can see Optima spikes getting worn down fast on concrete. The Optima spikes have proven very grippy on grass for me (not that Scorpion tires are bad, just the that Optima spikes are phenomenal in my backyard) . I don't have experience with Turbo Optima tire as of yet.

The Optima tires are 1.9 inches, while the tomahawk /Beetle and scorpion tires are 1.5 inches if I'm not wrong... And while you may succeed to mount scorpion tires on an Optima wheel by squeezing the tire around the rim, the opposite is not true

Edit : data are wrong - was thinking wrong when I wrote the message

The Turbo Optima wheels are 1.9 inches. The regular flavor Optima are 1.5.

Ask me how I know. 

39 minutes ago, Mrowka said:

The Turbo Optima wheels are 1.9 inches. The regular flavor Optima are 1.5.

Ask me how I know. 

The same way I know too i'd imagine :(

• Haha 1

Turbo Optima is 50mm (2 inches)

Optima / Javelin rims are 43 mm (1.6 inches)

Tomahawk rear rims are 40 mm (1.5 inches)

Tires are very often an issue, as it is a nightmare to find correspondances as most of the time there is no indications of the dimensional cages... And it is even worse when looking at old cars, which sometimes had a different size between front and rear (aka Samurai, Progress, Gallops and some other  vintage curiosity).

• Thanks 1

I am having a terrible time finding some true street tires for my Turbo Optima re-re. The block-pattern that comes stock with the kit have worn down and are not very good in the parking lot; I really need some more grip... I'm looking for something like this, preferably pre-mounted to rims that'll fit without modification. It does surprise me that I seem to be the only one interested in something like this. Anyone have a link to something close?

I use 

On 11/20/2022 at 11:46 AM, kyoshofan223 said:

I am having a terrible time finding some true street tires for my Turbo Optima re-re. The block-pattern that comes stock with the kit have worn down and are not very good in the parking lot; I really need some more grip... I'm looking for something like this, preferably pre-mounted to rims that'll fit without modification. It does surprise me that I seem to be the only one interested in something like this. Anyone have a link to something close?

I use Tamiya Subaru Brat tires,  mounted on Optima wheels.

Works dandy.