dmelczer

RC Gallery Comment thread

7 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks, @Nicadraus!  :lol:

It is a cheerful truck indeed.  lol 

With the amount of work you put in your RC, I would recommend building a scale crawler like an SCX10ii/iii, Traxxas TRX, RC4WD, or MST CFX/CMX. I'm very sure any of those are going to turn out really beautiful and realistic. Especially with so many accessories and upgrades available plus of course, your craftsmanship when it come to DIY.

At first I thought that crawlers were boring because they just... crawl. But after re-building my late-dad's CC-01 and slowly building an MST CFX, I realized that I had/have so much fun with the build and scale crawling/trailing. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

With the amount of work you put in your RC, I would recommend building a scale crawler like an SCX10ii/iii, Traxxas TRX, RC4WD, or MST CFX/CMX. I'm very sure any of those are going to turn out really beautiful and realistic. Especially with so many accessories and upgrades available plus of course, your craftsmanship when it come to DIY.

At first I thought that crawlers were boring because they just... crawl. But after re-building my late-dad's CC-01 and slowly building an MST CFX, I realized that I had/have so much fun with the build and scale crawling/trailing. 

Thanks for the suggestion!  I should build my rere Bruiser maybe next year.  I also have that fake TOYATO stashed in my younger kid's room I can fix up as well..

I'm going to be moving onto street and touring cars after I complete my buggy series.  I've been going off on these plasticard Willy's shop decor and seat back tangents the last few months as I am actually off season from RC right now.    Summer is my 1:1 car season..

My touring car series (2023) will just be a handful of high end Tamiya cars as I have no place to really drive them.  I'm also not too big on polycarbonate bodies (I am okay with buggy bodies) so will probably stick to hard shell cars and trucks after touring cars.

My core RC theme is based on Willy's funny cuteness appeal so I do not want to stray too far from that theme.  :lol:  The buggies and touring cars are a bit of a stretch as they look a bit too serious for Willy and Billy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks for the suggestion!  I should build my rere Bruiser maybe next year.  I also have that fake TOYATO stashed in my younger kid's room I can fix up as well..

I'm going to be moving onto street and touring cars after I complete my buggy series.  I've been going off on these plasticard Willy's shop decor and seat back tangents the last few months as I am actually off season from RC right now.    Summer is my 1:1 car season..

My touring car series (2023) will just be a handful of high end Tamiya cars as I have no place to really drive them.  I'm also not too big on polycarbonate bodies (I am okay with buggy bodies) so will probably stick to hard shell cars and trucks after touring cars.

My core RC theme is based on Willy's funny cuteness appeal so I do not want to stray too far from that theme.  :lol:  The buggies and touring cars are a bit of a stretch as they look a bit too serious for Willy and Billy.  

Now I'll be eyeing on your touring cars builds. Your "handful" is probably going to need a dozen of Octopus hands because two or three just won't be enough for you. Well, that's obvious. :lol:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Now I'll be eyeing on your touring cars builds. Your "handful" is probably going to need a dozen of Octopus hands because two or three just won't be enough for you. Well, that's obvious. :lol:

Haha!   Nono, just 2, maybe 3 tops. :D 

• Haha 2

So for those of you that run magnetic body posts on your touring cars, would you please recommend which ones I should get?  I'm okay to get several different sets or types, but want to know which ones are must haves for my parts bin.

TIA!  B)

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

So for those of you that run magnetic body posts on your touring cars, would you please recommend which ones I should get?  I'm okay to get several different sets or types, but want to know which ones are must haves for my parts bin.

TIA!  B)

I don't use body magnets in my touring and rally cars but I do in my crawler. Contact is pretty tight and doesn't shake. Holds the body really well with all the accessories installed on it.

Here's the one I use. It's a neodymium magnet.

Universal Aluminum Stealth Magnetic Body Mount with Scaled Body Post Black

• Thanks 1

@Ironfather

Wild One, Turbo Scorpion & RC10. My 80s drool makers. Kits I've always wanted to have in the mid-late 80s which I never had. I was only able to fullfil the Wild One dream last year when a friend handed my an original vintage one. But the Turbo Scorpion is still a mission. Nice classic collection there!

20220608_150251.jpg

19 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

This looks awesome @Willy iine. Lovely work!

Thanks.  I think people were worried (or thought I was playing some sort of joke) the car might end up looking like crap at the end.  :lol:  I think @Badcrumble has done body work or could see beyond the ugly white styrene while I was putting the thing together.   I made sure, even though the pieces are well within what I would consider "rice", that it would follow the critical contours and lines of the body that basically make any car look good.  

Since it's a Mitsubishi, I looked at several Lancer Evolution pictures with aftermarket JDM bits to get a feel of what Mitsu folks thought was sporty looking.  I also looked at several GT wings including those on an GR Supra as those huge wings are pretty crazy to mount on a hatch.  The rear diffuser I just looked at actual race car pictures.  B)

While I did not look at any Juke-R's (Nissan Jukes with GT-R modifications), in the back of my mind, that was the concept of this car.. to make it look crazy sporty, yet funky, boxy, and cool.  I hope I got that vibe across on my odd-ball creation.  :lol:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Frankster said:

@Willy iine it looks great. Quick turn around time. Less than a week to complete?

Thanks!  :D   Yeah, I think I started it about 5 days ago.    

Lately I have to go to the office a couple of times a week so that really takes away my time away from RC..  :wacko:  Not that  WFH means free time all day for RC, but there is a lot of time wasted at the office between meetings, social face to face chats with coworkers, etc.. and the commute itself.  

The project itself wasn't difficult to do, mostly just eyeballed everything as usual.. with hope.. :ph34r: 

@Ferruz As always, awesome action shots!  :D    Your first picture sets show your car got some good height in those jumps!   

Your pictures shout 'FREEDOM!'  it is awesome.

• Thanks 1

@Willy iine Thank you Sir :D it did feel like freedom indeed: nobody watching me, and the opportunity to fly the car so high! I love jumping the cars and watching them airborne, especially when they land back down fine and don't get shattered!!! I guess the thrill is part of the game, wouldn't be as much fun with an indestructible Traxxxas :P

Congrats for your Pajero: absolutely stunning as usual, and buddy you were so fast on this one that I barely realizied you started working on it the other day...:blink: I do appreciate progress, the new technologies applied to rc, the endless options it offers and all... but in a world full of 3D printers, I hail Willy-iine the styrene sheet overlord 😉

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

@Willy iine Thank you Sir :D it did feel like freedom indeed: nobody watching me, and the opportunity to fly the car so high! I love jumping the cars and watching them airborne, especially when they land back down fine and don't get shattered!!! I guess the thrill is part of the game, wouldn't be as much fun with an indestructible Traxxxas :P

Congrats for your Pajero: absolutely stunning as usual, and buddy you were so fast on this one that I barely realizied you started working on it the other day...:blink: I do appreciate progress, the new technologies applied to rc, the endless options it offers and all... but in a world full of 3D printers, I hail Willy-iine the styrene sheet overlord 😉

Yeah, that is some serious air you got on your car!   :D 

Thanks!   Yeah, I wish I was smart and make things more calculated, but eyeball cutting with some level of hopeful vision is the only way I know how.  :D  Haha

On 9/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, Willy iine said:

In a way, I think that sometimes a "serious" body with a comical driver is almost more fun than a comical car with a comical driver.  It's sort of the punchline in the joke that is us taking these "toys" too seriously.  :lol:

I built a scale version of my (former) Jeep XJ many years ago, and made sure to make it as realistic as possible.  I used to set it up on the hood of my 1:1 at club show & shines.  BUT... the driver was Willy... red suit and bugged out eyes.... hot rod style shifter up over the dash.... and it always just seemed to "fit" somehow.  Or at least that's how it seemed in my mind... :D

15 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Nicadraus Those straps you use on your roof basket look real good!   So much realism there with buckles and all .   B)

Thank buddy. I really like those too. What's more fascinating is they're functional with the buckles and locks.

• Like 2

@bRIBEGuy That is probably the best paint job I've ever seen on a Pumpkin. :wub: It's so unique, just perfect. Also great work on the tail gate. 👍

Just now, Aerobert said:

@bRIBEGuy That is probably the best paint job I've ever seen on a Pumpkin. :wub: It's so unique, just perfect. Also great work on the tail gate. 👍

Thanks, I appreciate that.  :D

4 hours ago, dmelczer said:

@Frankster...what body is that silver Honda body?  Is that a Supra?  It looks absolutely spectacular!

BC4537E8-6650-4F01-A5B8-6AE7C716BFFB.thumb.jpeg.82d5219d6d437dbd8aad60777e559576.jpeg

Thank you 😊

Experimental Honda HSV-010.  Suppose to replace NSX.  Never went into production but was used for racing. https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58484weider_hsv010/index.htm

2 coats of PS63 Bright Gun Metal.  This color is used on Mercedes G500 model