dmelczer

RC Gallery Comment thread

8 hours ago, Frankster said:

What chassis are these from?

Now I've seen it on a bigger screen than that of my phone it looks like: front gearbox FF-01 (I think), tub also or TA-02, suspension arms TA-02? Rear gearbox looks like the black one from the Blazing Star. 

22 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Will call this the FTA-01 @Fabia130vRS :D

spacer.png

It is a FF01 and a TA02 I guess without the drive shaft.

It is of a Tamiyaclub memeber, I found the picture on another RC forum back from 2006.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=44958&id=6456

He had a thing for dual motors but used only 1 ESC as it seems.

Good stuff, imidiatl had thoughts of maiting a FF03 with TA06 hehe

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

It is a FF01 and a TA02 I guess without the drive shaft.

It is of a Tamiyaclub memeber, I found the picture on another RC forum back from 2006.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=44958&id=6456

He had a thing for dual motors but used only 1 ESC as it seems.

Good stuff, imidiatl had thoughts of maiting a FF03 with TA06 hehe

I have thing for dual motors too. I did a quick check on the TA-03 series as they have a front monitor and rear - mid motor option.  Can the chassis take 2 motor gearboxes?

Hahaha I was thinking same with FF03 and TA06 using a carbon chassis.  But I noticed the screws mounting the gearbox to chassis size and pattern are different.  I don’t have means to make a custom carbon chassis either 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frankster said:

I have thing for dual motors too. I did a quick check on the TA-03 series as they have a front monitor and rear - mid motor option.  Can the chassis take 2 motor gearboxes?

Hahaha I was thinking same with FF03 and TA06 using a carbon chassis.  But I noticed the screws mounting the gearbox to chassis size and pattern are different.  I don’t have means to make a custom carbon chassis either 🤦‍♂️

I don't know honestly, the TA02 and TA03 are not cars I have played with.

As for the FF03 TA06, I guess it coud be possible but as said... I have other things to do. :P

40 minutes ago, RC_FunLand said:

Rc hotshot  

Oh man @RC_FunLand does that WolfPack LiPo in the lower left ever stress me out!  I hope you're being really careful with having bare wires out like that... :unsure:

9 hours ago, M 800STD said:

Ta03 dual motor can be done.

It looks possible.  Is it the same chassis and screw mounting points?   Need to look for a few TA-03 chassis online now… 😂

@bRIBEGuy, BRAIIINNNSSS???  :D 

@GeeWings, love the Mario Kart!  On a random side note I did a similar spacer on the front springs to my Hornet back in the day, when the only racing I could find for it was a stock motor kids class in the parking lot at the hobby store.  By then the rear spikes were gone anyway, so I 'raced' it on road.  It was not good at all, but fun! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Oh man @GeeWings, this looks so good!  I love seeing people do fun/weird/quirky stuff!

I'm astounded on an almost daily basis the ingenuity, engineering and craftman/womanship that is displayed on this forum! Bravo @GeeWings!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

I'm astounded on an almost daily basis the ingenuity, engineering and craftman/womanship that is displayed on this forum! Bravo @GeeWings!

Womanship, huh?  Can't say I've noticed too much of that...  :lol:

• Haha 5

@bRIBEGuy and @Elbowloh thank you, it was so fun to put together!

2 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Womanship, huh?  Can't say I've noticed too much of that...  :lol:

I think you need special hop-ups for that…

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

@bRIBEGuy, BRAIIINNNSSS???  :D 

@GeeWings, love the Mario Kart!  On a random side note I did a similar spacer on the front springs to my Hornet back in the day, when the only racing I could find for it was a stock motor kids class in the parking lot at the hobby store.  By then the rear spikes were gone anyway, so I 'raced' it on road.  It was not good at all, but fun! :) 

Thanks!

We wanted the front lowered (or slammed as my kids say) for pics but imagine we will remove (or at least reduce) before we drive it! I’ve already cut a bit off the springs having read a few posts online. 

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

Nice work on the Mario Kart-Hornet @GeeWings

Thanks! I’m scheming for a ride for Donkey Kong next! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Killajb said:

@graemevw  Nice work!  Would love to hear more details about the process and how it runs:)

image.thumb.png.12e13ffa81c46fd985eaebfdc66981c0.png

Have a search for thunderdragoncy and his ultra g threads. That should explain most of it 🙂

• Thanks 1

@GeeWings Very cool Mario Kart Hornet. Question regarding the extreme negative camber on the front tires, how much does it improve preventing grip roll on asphalt? How did you achieve such camber angle?

Some years ago, I sold my Hornet because I could never find any dirt surfaces to run and, on the street, it was fairly unusable because of grip roll. Your fantastic build and mod are now making me regret having sold it!

@OoALEJOoO thanks! 
The camber comes from lowering the chassis which was done by “slamming” (my kids description) the suspension with tubing. You can see it in this pic:

DBA8C403-B609-4BD5-A480-D5A4A8C1E7F6.jpeg.4e39438bb4faaf467f86efc88fa1a7fa.jpeg

It’s pretty extreme so I’m guessing  the steering will be compromised. I’ve not driven it yet as I need to find a small Lipo to fit. We just did it for pics really! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It did roll over once @Nicadraus, but no damage at all. I was having a ball with it. The usual mud flat I run on was underwater (as seen in the first pic). But where I could run the TS was such a pleasure anyway, I think it’s such a great buggy and is perfect for me and everything I could want from one. I was a bit concerned before running it about the Hobbywing MAX10 3300kv sensorless combo. There is a very slight, and I mean very slight jitter on take off from stationary for less than a second, but once the wheels are turning it’s a smooth as a sensored set up. Plenty quick enough for me.
I had to screw the steering rods 2 and a half turns to make them a bit shorter reducing toe-in as the inside of the front wheels were rubbing on the trailing arms when the suspension was compressed with full lock and acting as a brake when it did. All good now, turns on a dime and I’m very happy with it. The suspension works beautifully as the body just floats along on a level plane while the wheels soak up the bumps. Can’t wait for a beach run 😁

• Like 3