dmelczer

RC Gallery Comment thread

3 hours ago, Xeostar said:

Yes 95+% paint, things like the headlights and rear light cluster are the decals but all the Porsche, Ansys and Penske are painted as are all the colours and the black and white stripes between them.

I'd like to say it's my original design but it's a copy, sort of, from the 100th Le Mans, Porsche 936 Penske Motorsport livery. I really like it so attempted it.

That's an excellent version you've created mate, must've taken an age to get all those lines right and then individually sprayed up. Do you print the logos backwards and stick them to the inside of the shell to spray them on?

Agreed, this is your best yet! So what's next? Or do you need a break after this one!?😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kol__ said:

That's an excellent version you've created mate, must've taken an age to get all those lines right and then individually sprayed up. Do you print the logos backwards and stick them to the inside of the shell to spray them on?

Agreed, this is your best yet! So what's next? Or do you need a break after this one!?😂

I've got a few small ones in mind but the next big one I think I'm going to try this on the GT3. What do you think?

P1-Motorsports-Chupacabra-Livery-1.jpg

P1-Motorsports-Chupacabra-Livery-2 (1).jpg

RDE24022.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xeostar said:

I've got a few small ones in mind but the next big one I think I'm going to try this on the GT3. What do you think?

P1-Motorsports-Chupacabra-Livery-1.jpg

P1-Motorsports-Chupacabra-Livery-2 (1).jpg

RDE24022.jpg

That looks like a suitable next challenge! The Tamiya GT3 shell is so awesome, I've been tempted a few times to pick one up.

So do you create those flat designs on the PC/Mac and then cut the masks out of vinyl yourself?

20 hours ago, Xeostar said:

@Kol__ Thanks :D, I'm quite pleased with it, probably my best one yet I think.

Yes 95+% paint, things like the headlights and rear light cluster are the decals but all the Porsche, Ansys and Penske are painted as are all the colours and the black and white stripes between them.

I'd like to say it's my original design but it's a copy, sort of, from the 100th Le Mans, Porsche 936 Penske Motorsport livery. I really like it so attempted it. 

HELLER cooperates with Porsche Penske Motorsport

Wow. That lettering is paint? 

Mind blown! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

That looks like a suitable next challenge! The Tamiya GT3 shell is so awesome, I've been tempted a few times to pick one up.

So do you create those flat designs on the PC/Mac and then cut the masks out of vinyl yourself?

Yep I use a vinyl cutter to do the lettering and similar, as you say printed backwards as a mask from the inside. 

Although the flat design isn't mine it was on the internet to use as a reference which is handy but it's not often I fine these.

For that one I'd prob do the text, "71" and purple diamonds on the cutter but the rest free hand masking with flexible tape for the outline.

I use one of these which does the job well enough and not too expensive, some others get really pricey. 

Silhouette Portrait 3

• Like 2

Hi fellow tamiyaclub members.

This is my cheap long damper convertion for my XV-01. I bought both the carbon fiber damper mounts and the aluminum oil shocks from far east. The car runs very well and I have no issues with oil leaks etc. 

IMG_20240101_170606.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Eric_N said:

151er.jpg

251er.jpg

351er.jpg

Great photos! I love the light and sense of movement. So good!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Xeostar said:

I use one of these which does the job well enough and not too expensive, some others get really pricey. 

Silhouette Portrait 3

Cool, thanks mate. So does that give very clean cut lines and how detailed a cut/shape/pattern can it do? (I know nothing about vinyl cutters, clearly😆)

Hi,

I am using a Silhouette Cameo plotter. This example has around 60 mm in diameter and is on the side of an Axial SCX-6.

Polish_20240101_230020945_copy_1600x1280.thumb.jpg.9fd2c7514e4ac8a67f83e050a2c37407.jpg

It's a quote from "The Big Lebowski". A modelling colleage told me, that he plotted even smaller contours in vinyl.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Cool, thanks mate. So does that give very clean cut lines and how detailed a cut/shape/pattern can it do? (I know nothing about vinyl cutters, clearly😆)

Hi mate, Happy New Year and all that! 
Just FYI I picked up a cheap Cricut Joy vinyl cutter recently. I’ve not used it for much yet but it can do great detail and very clean cuts, as long as the blade is in decent condition. I did these simple flames for my GF01 bullhead tribute as a first project:

53142498220_42af2e610d_b.jpg

What you do need of course is a software package to create decent designs. 

• Like 1

@GeeWings Thanks. These are screen shots from video from my phone.  I just rested it near the curb and drove towards it,lol.

• Like 1

DIY carbon fiber and aluminum upgrades for the Super Avante Td4... 

IMG_20240102_075808.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Xeostar said:

20240104_141007.jpg

Very creative and novel approach to panel lines!! Makes a very unique model :wub:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Very creative and novel approach to panel lines!! Makes a very unique model :wub:

Thanks :D, I'm still ummming and ahing over it and not sure if I like it or not. It's certainly one to look at a further back to get the effect but it's really quick to do.

It was my first attempt at a cartoon style body that seems popular with the airbrushing lot. I think I can do better next time.  

1 hour ago, Xeostar said:

Thanks :D, I'm still ummming and ahing over it and not sure if I like it or not. It's certainly one to look at a further back to get the effect but it's really quick to do.

It was my first attempt at a cartoon style body that seems popular with the airbrushing lot. I think I can do better next time.  

Haha, it's brilliant mate, looks like it's moving! I had to double take to see if you simply applied a filter of some sort over the photo😆

It's cool, very Manga-ish👍😎

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2024 at 3:13 PM, urban warrior said:

Hi,

I am using a Silhouette Cameo plotter. This example has around 60 mm in diameter and is on the side of an Axial SCX-6.

Polish_20240101_230020945_copy_1600x1280.thumb.jpg.9fd2c7514e4ac8a67f83e050a2c37407.jpg

It's a quote from "The Big Lebowski". A modelling colleage told me, that he plotted even smaller contours in vinyl.

Cheers

Martin

I recently watched it again, after over 20 years. Boy did I laugh 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

IMG_2024-01-19-204134.jpg.2ff21d0af56f061e606e9d7427560d6b.jpg

Oh, Willy, oh Willy. That is breathtaking.

A sa teenager I did not like the Ultimas. WhenI think about it now it must have been down to the wheel design and the fact that I like spoilerless buggys. That didn’t matter back then, since my byddys had gone glow,  so Burns DX it was (we were sick and tired of the constant running back and forth to charge the single 1200 NiCad we al had).

But if the Ultima looked like this back then it would have been the obvious choice. It would have been the most sensible choice as well for today. That buggy would have been something I could run now if I wanted. Glow is pretty much useless today (and have been for some yers).

Anyway: A superb interpretation of the JJ Ultima and something the young me would have wanted already 30 years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words @Andreas W!   Yeah, the Ultima and JJ WC Ultima do have their own very distinct look and it's probably a love/hate relationship for most folks including me.  

I decided to make my first JJ WC Ultima box art..  The car actually looks really good in person, I just don't have the photo taking skills to express that in my picture.. :ph34r:   But it is almost unrecognizable that it is the same car as my blue one.  

IMG_2023-11-03-142434.jpg.1fabee1eee85bb2082134e0b29f5c263.jpg

I made my Ultima looking like this..   I should change out those rear gold damper springs to one of the JJ WC Ultima black springs as they offer different spring rates.  I am sure one of them will match the car.

IMG_2023-3-13-183749.jpg.536a5fed990019ebdd28e12238c0df43.jpg

• Like 6

@wtcc5

This TA-08R build of yours is just making me drool (again). Just like your other projects (FF cars most especially), the blue stuff is like a sight magnet, I can't take my eyes off of it. As they said in LRP, "Blue is Better", I think it applies to Tamiya too. :D

IMG-1523.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looking through old pictures and found this. I was a pre-digital age photography student, and this is a pic of the apartment I lived in ‘98-2001. Shot on 4x5 film with a large format camera. In this pic is either an M01 or M03 chassis with a Rover Mini Cooper Monte Carlo body. Above it to the left is another M01 mini. Both decorated in 2 Tone Records livery (aka revival still rules). To the right of that is the original Lunchbox body that I paid out the nose for on eBay. I wish I still had all of it. 

IMG_9952.jpeg

• Like 4

IMG_6607.jpeg

Is that a real grasshopper??????

If so, what kind of prehistoric, ninja turtle breeding continent do you live on???

I need to go and look at some normal size blue tits to calm my nerves!

• Haha 4