8 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

interesting thread

The last 3 years have hit certain age groups, businesses and countries harder than others

With disease, idiotic politicians and war all playing their part 

There’s also now a scarcity of mint 70s / 80s kits, spares, hop ups and accessories - esp in Japan / which used to be overflowing … which suggests the bulk of remaining stocks have now finally moved into collectors’ hands ?

For me it’s a combination of both that’s lead to subdued input - not any loss of interest, value or knowledge in the cars ?

I recently moved on a lovingly assembled, restoration collection of 80’s Tamiya classics - not because I’ve lost interest but purely because I’ve run out of room 

I’m now regretting it - because there’s nothing fun to reinvest in + empty shelves remind me of it every day 🙄

All of this will inevitably change over time - and I’m certain better times will renew usual enthusiasm on here 👍

For now, it seems like fairly hard yards for all - and we shouldn’t be surprised if it flows down to our hobby 

SC

I've done the same thing with various kits I had and then always regretted it and sought to replace them.  I guess when the time eventually comes that I no longer want to replace is when the love has officially died lol. But also I agree,  especially in the US where the govt now wants every extra dollar we have and then some to correct the inflation they created themselves it really puts the brakes on collecting and restorations. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:35 AM, El Gecko said:

That's a good point, and unfortunately I think a lot of this stuff has moved over to Facebook like many other hobbies.

Glad to have this site so we don't have to feed the beast. Even if I don't post much (or very interesting things), I enjoy reading about what everyone's doing.

I have a bunch of ideas but very little money or time, so when I do tinker with RC, I'm usually not thinking about taking pictures of the process, although I've been getting a bit better lately :ph34r:

My wife keeps telling me to open a Facebook account if only just for the Tamiya interest. I've been tempted. But made into my 40s so far without it and really haven't the time or interest now.  Or maybe it's just the principle of it? I'd much rather be on a site like this,  even if fewer people participate. Though it's nice to know there's a broader interest still out there. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Forgive me as I haven't read all the replies, but have been thinking for a while that if Tamiya's top years were, let's say no later than 1995 and the kids who brought them were around 10 years old. That would make the oldest nostalgic collector 37 years old. On that basis rere's could keep going for a while yet (maybe 10 years). But eventually those that remember Tamiya from their childhood will be too old and it will take a new generation to keep it going. 

This is very true. I'm 37 years old. My first car was a Bear Hawk which I received in 1996. Once the nostalgia hit me, I've chased down M01, M02, TA01, TA02, Group C and DF01 cars. Those were all the cars I wanted in my youth, but couldn't afford. I did pursue TA03 cars, but that is primarily due to me getting started in racing in the late 90's and early 2000's.

While I appreciate the previous cars and do have a desire for them; it's not because of the nostalgia.

28 minutes ago, cantforgetthe80s said:

My wife keeps telling me to open a Facebook account if only just for the Tamiya interest. I've been tempted. But made into my 40s so far without it and really haven't the time or interest now.  Or maybe it's just the principle of it? I'd much rather be on a site like this,  even if fewer people participate. Though it's nice to know there's a broader interest still out there. 

I belong to some of those sites and to be honest this is much better, more accommodating and helpful way to talk with other collectors/ enthusiastics. 

42 minutes ago, cantforgetthe80s said:

I use both Facebook and Instagram. Instagram is cool once you get it figure out and tailored to what you want to see. You can scroll mindlessly and find some inspiration and ideas.

Facebook is the same way but is a little more discussion oriented.

You have a decent bit of control over what you want to see on both of those sites, but you'll always be dealing with a much larger demographic of people. Forums like these are much more focused and have a more dedicated user base.

It's a normal progress in all vintage scenes. The people began to collect pieces of their youth. But they getting older and ,at the end, die. The next generation didn't have interest in these pieces, because they are not of their youth.

A good example is the real car market. Cars from the 80s and 90s are on a high they never seen. Cars before WW2 or short after are getting cheaper, because the potential buyers are dieing out. Only a small amount of "younger" people like the cars.

So it is with the vintage RC Scene. I'm 37 and startet with the agebof 12 with RC Cars. My first car was a Super Hornet. So I have to admit a Frog, Boomerang or something older isn't that desireable for me as a Top Force Evolution or a Dyna Storm. Just because these cars were old when I was young.

So think the scene will life again, but the cars will change. 

• Like 3

Superhornet is a great car. Many of us remember the original Hornet 1 release. And similarly the Rough Rider was before I got into it by 9 years,  but later in life I like those cars for the uniqueness and realism. So point well taken. 

I'm in my late 40's, like many here.

I haven't picked up a controller or charged a battery in nearly two years. I can't get the motivation to fix little broken things. I've done pretty much all the collecting that I'm going to do with vintage RC stuff. I've gotten what I wanted from my childhood, minus the 959, but that's okay. I go down to my bonus room every so often and rotate the tires so I don't get any flat spots. I'll pick one up and admire it.

My sons aren't interested in RC (we do have similar hobbies though), so my collection will die with me. Maybe one day the passion with return, maybe they'll just keeping collecting dust.

• Like 1

It’s true that everyone (and everything) has its day 

However - does anyone remember the 1962 Ferrari GTO ? 

Or 1937 Jaguar SS - maybe 1925 Rolls Royce Phantom ? 

Each car would have been fairly costly to buy in its day - but each have sold for >$45m in the last 3 years 

And none are going down in value based on ageing appetite or buyer demographic …

My point isn’t to applaud collectors hoarding value 

Its to gently remind that anyone who thinks old school quality will ever lack an audience might read their history 

It’s also to note that this isn’t w/o the odd exception - with Ferrari, Rolls-Royce and Jaguar each having theirs …

My sense is no one will ever write off any of those marques - in much the same as no one will abandon Tamiya or similar in the 70s / 80s etc 

It’s just a matter of scale - in car, price and time 👍

PS I’m building my NIB when I retire before anyone questions my motives 😂

• Like 3

On 7/11/2022 at 6:59 PM, SuperChamp82 said:

does anyone remember the 1962 Ferrari GTO ? 

Or 1937 Jaguar SS - maybe 1925 Rolls Royce Phantom ?

Yes because they were all Matchbox cars at one point :lol:

On 7/10/2022 at 7:21 AM, DarkSonic said:

It's a normal progress in all vintage scenes. The people began to collect pieces of their youth. But they getting older and ,at the end, die. The next generation didn't have interest in these pieces, because they are not of their youth.

A good example is the real car market. Cars from the 80s and 90s are on a high they never seen. Cars before WW2 or short after are getting cheaper, because the potential buyers are dieing out. Only a small amount of "younger" people like the cars.

So it is with the vintage RC Scene. I'm 37 and startet with the agebof 12 with RC Cars. My first car was a Super Hornet. So I have to admit a Frog, Boomerang or something older isn't that desireable for me as a Top Force Evolution or a Dyna Storm. Just because these cars were old when I was young.

So think the scene will life again, but the cars will change. 

Yep.  I’m similar age.  Had little money as a kid and drooled over so many RC cars.  Only had a Losi Jrx Pro.  My top wanted being a Dirt Thrasher.  I got a NIB kit many years ago, but learned here it is a manta ray.  So I got one of those and a repro body.  Life got in the way and I back in the hobby again now.  top force evo is a super hopped up Dirt Thraster.  I’m running that now.  Super clod buster checked off the list.  I just got a minty built Dirt Thrasher for the shelf.  I got new re stuff to bash, old stuff for nostalgia.  All that is left on my list is the F150 from 1995.  Maybe a Blackfoot if a msrp priced kit land in my lap.

I have a couple of Tt02bs to bash with my son cause he kept breaking my more expensive 90s Losi cars that I can’t get parts for.  no interest in that 1/16 Jrx2 midget stuff.  Especially since it is niche and Losi will stop making parts for them in a year.  I want to drive them with my kids.  No parts, no go. 

You want me buying?  Sell me nostalgia I can enjoy with my kids.  I have 4x midnight pumpkins coming for family bumper cars Thunder Dome!  Cheap enough to super bash.  Should be able to get parts for awhile.  

I may also have a TMNT arcade cab I restored that I play with my kids.  I have a Rampage in it too.  80/90s arcades were the best.

• Like 1

Is it aging out? Yeah, but the tail is long.  The rc market has really managed to grow & shift into different areas to keep itself relevant; drift cars for a while, crawlers, and now drag racing is a big thing.  Each of those is bringing people in.  Each of those segments will have their 'vintage' surge in 10-20 years. Those surges will pull a few into people into discovering older models.  I think getting into the older models often requires being older, and being willing to put the effort into re-discovering these models.  I think the good thing is that 3d printing can help restore something into a driver, and that will keep a lot of older models functioning.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, NWarty said:

I'm in my late 40's, like many here.

I haven't picked up a controller or charged a battery in nearly two years. I can't get the motivation to fix little broken things. I've done pretty much all the collecting that I'm going to do with vintage RC stuff. I've gotten what I wanted from my childhood, minus the 959, but that's okay. I go down to my bonus room every so often and rotate the tires so I don't get any flat spots. I'll pick one up and admire it.

My sons aren't interested in RC (we do have similar hobbies though), so my collection will die with me. Maybe one day the passion with return, maybe they'll just keeping collecting dust.

My kids are the same way.. absolutely no interest in RC.  Younger kid has some interest in plastic model building, but nothing serious.  

My pretend RC shop will turn into an actual RC shop (for kicks and giggles) when I retire and sell as much I have before I die to pass along to anyone who can keep the cars alive.  :D  Then I croak and will be reborn into a fruitfly where I will die in a lab oil bucket, then reborn again into a grasshopper and get smashed on a windshield of a speeding car, and then..  etc. my outlook not promising.. :ph34r: :lol:

• Haha 1

I think the entire R/C industry is aging out.  we simply cannot compete with what the kids think is cool now.  I belong to several different r/c clubs, and both the average age, and the number of members in all the clubs is both increasing (average age) and decreasing (number of members) at a rate that will ultimately mean that the clubs will be gone in 10 to 15 years.  One model boat club I belong to, which I joined about 14 years ago, had over 60 members when I joined.  Today it has 12.   

Even visiting the local hobby shops, mostly guys age 30+, and very few kids, mostly just tagging along with their dad.  Very seldom do I see someone under the age of 18 who is actually interested in the hobby, dragging a parent along.

• Sad 1

Part of that is that clubs themselves are more and more of an "old people" thing.

I think it is cost.  This is just a super expensive hobby if you want to be competitive.

And if you don’t want to be competitive, you can get the super cheap cars.

Than once you are competitive/cost range, you’re going too fast for a beginner/kid.  Leading to breaks and more cost.

Local clubs around here aren’t too lazy for attracting new/younger blood. 

They are active on social to bring public awareness, they do special races during public events etc etc 

Most clubs offer a loan car for any newbie wanting to try out racing. 

Entry level classes like spec TT01/2, Euro Truck or Kyosho Fazer are starting to catch on for the budget conscious. 

Many existing racers who grew up racing with dad now have their children now actively racing too, beginning a 2 sometimes 3 generation racing family dynasty. :) 

• Like 1

I also wonder if the numbers weren't skewed a little higher because of the re-releases. Lots of folks who I thought had no interest in RC cars see one of mine, recognize it ("Holy cow, is that a Grasshopper? I had one of those!"), and I tell them that it's not an original, that they're back and they could buy one of their own brand new. If that conversation has happened a lot over the past 15 years or so, that could account for quite a bit of the re-re sales. But they buy one, relive their youth for a while, then stick it on a shelf or sell it on, and don't stick around in the hobby.

The pandemic caused a spike in sales of all sorts of hobby items as well, as people were forced to find things to do by themselves. It's part of the reason for the shortages, I'm sure. But again, it was short-lived, and now that they can interact with people again, toy cars don't seem as appealing.

But there will always be a core group that stays interested in any hobby. I'm in an MG owners' club, and I'm just about the youngest member, and I'm 49. But the club is still very active, and people who are into MGs are into them, and nearly always have several, and can tell you about the minutiae of each one (sound familiar?). Is the group itself aging out? Yeah, probably. And I know my interest doesn't extend too far beyond my own MGB GT, I'm not likely to every buy a second one unless I really fall in love with one. And I have no reservations about changing and upgrading things on my car, much to the horror and scorn of some of the old-timers, because I'm not concerned with "originality" or "value." Again, that sounds like familiar territory.

But here's the thing: the cars themselves are never going to be valuable, at least not any more than they are now, especially for highly original examples. They were built for a certain era, and that era is going away, as are the people who lived through that era and gave the cars their value in the first place. You can't reasonably expect the younger folks to pay the same sort of prices just so own something with no nostalgia for them, no matter how cool they think it is. As interet wanes, prices fall. They must.

We Gen Xers may be the end of the line for the "golden age" of RC cars, and eventually, as we get older, the re-releases will stop being profitable and fizzle out, and many a collection will probably simply get tossed in the Dumpster when we shuffle off this mortal coil, because no one understands why they're "special." (Heaven knows lots of them got thrown away in the '90s already, anyway.) But that's all the more reason to use and enjoy them now, I say.

If you really do want to get younger folks involved, here's an idea: Give them a car. I've done this a few times over the years, and only once did it "stick" (and I don't know for how long), but in every case the excitement was palpable when I first presented the car. I mean, do you really need the $50 that some old TT01 chassis is going to get you? Clean up your least-beat-up body, buy a cheap radio system off eBay, or some cheap radio system you have sitting around doing nothing, get a cheap basic battery pack, and hand it to that neighborhood kid who is always out watching you drive your cars.

In any event, I can't help feeling the market for RC cars, particularly real vintage cars, is hyper-inflated right now, with too much value being assigned to it. That recent auction really hammered that point home to me: nothing in that collection should have sold for as much as it did. With such plenty, and in such unknown and unprovable condition, the prices should have been considerably lower. And I shudder to think how many of those kits went from sitting on a shelf in Larry's workshop to sitting on a shelf in someone else's. That dragon-like "amass and hold on to" mentality is not sustainable, and neither are the prices being commanded of models, especially as time goes on and we get older.

You can't just pass on the knowledge and expect the hobby to flourish. You have to make the objects of that knowledge accessible to the youngsters.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, markbt73 said:

If you really do want to get younger folks involved, here's an idea: Give them a car.

Our sons are 5 and 3 years old. We drive RC cars since december 2020. Since that time I always have some cars available for the kids in the street who are watching us drive our cars.

We live in a street with 19 houses and a lot of kids between 4 and 12 years old. When we started none had a RC car.  At the moment one of the kids is driving a Traxxas, two of the kids are driving a FTX, another one is driving a RTR from a for me unknown make and one of them is driving a Tamiya I gifted him.

This is the second summer in a row a lot of kids are driving RC cars in our street. It works! We could almost start a club ;).

On the other hand all of them are buying RTR's it seems. So it isn't a benefit for Tamiya.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bavee said:

On the other hand all of them are buying RTR's it seems. So it isn't a benefit for Tamiya.

That sounds like a great scene! Tamiya could do some things to be more competitive I think overall. But still getting kids out there and engaged at that young age is great.  

6 hours ago, bavee said:

These days I loathe to recommend T to RC newcomers wanting to build & run... just because ITS JUST IMPOSSIBLE TO SOURCE T SPAREPARTS lately. 

Less pain for them to buy something else that has at least some hope to get spares for within a tolerable timeframe <_<

@bavee Great job!  You deserve some kind of medal.  :D 

I tried RC with my kids.. didn't work.  My kids don't think I'm cool either.   They respect me for being their dad and a dood that can fix things and have a bunch of toys, (and loud..why is dad always so loud?), but cool?  LOL.  I don't Facebook or TikTok or Instagram or etc..

Even my design gear is a piece of notebook paper my son gave me and a pen..  this is 2022 for me because I don't know any better. :ph34r:  Hardly cool for them.  

IMG_2022-7-16-104403.jpg.da2f2810a2485f5d51171a36aca23c3c.jpg

• Like 1

Less disposable money means smarter and more thought out purchases. I can understand people opting for a less expensive and better handling modern buggy than a 45 year old design that’s slower, handles worse, and is double the cost. And will driving a modern buggy be that much less enjoyable than driving an SRB? Not really. The price point of most of the re-res, besides the Lunchbox/Frog/Brat/Grasshopper etc is just too high for it to be worth it to most people anymore.

9 hours ago, WillyChang said:

These days I loathe to recommend T to RC newcomers wanting to build & run... just because ITS JUST IMPOSSIBLE TO SOURCE T SPAREPARTS lately. 

Less pain for them to buy something else that has at least some hope to get spares for within a tolerable timeframe <_<

The only reason I bought a Tamiya kit for my little man's first buggy was because:

1. It was a kit that he would have to help build himself; and

2. It was early in COVID-tide and no other kits were available. 

He does love that thing.

20220710_150329.jpg

• Like 3