superted

Matching a vintage car with radio

Hi

Does anyone know the most common radio that would have been supplied with the 959 and Celica GRB?

I would like to build everything period correct.

I have a Futaba Attack-R FP-T2NR that was bought with a Hornet in about the right year and an Acoms Techniplus AP-27 Mk V that was bought with a Manta Ray, but I think this would have been a touch later.

I also have a Futaba Attack-Sport FP-T2NCR. It is very similar to the ATTACK-R but it was bought second hand, so no date.

The first two transmitters are both paired with Acoms AR-227FE receivers (one of them was also bought new with the Hornet). The third transmitter came with a Futaba FP-R102JE receiver.

Yeah, 80's was mostly Attack in my area.  

If you're planning to drive it though, I would recommend you maybe velcro on the AM or FM receiver and run a 2.4GHz system.  Swap it back while on display.

Those old radio's can glitch like mad.. unless you have an FM-PCM, but those came later.  GL with your build.  :D 

On 7/4/2022 at 6:18 AM, superted said:

Does anyone know the most common radio that would have been supplied with the 959 and Celica GRB?

Might depend on your country’s distributor too. 

UK probably saw more Acoms Techniplus, Downunder might be more Futaba Attack & Japan might be more JR Jeep or Sanwa in their Get-it-Running package deals, if not the Tamiya-branded Futabas.  

Buy your Tamiya in HK & you’d probably get upsold to a KO EX-1 or EX-II or maybe even the EX-5 or EX-10 later on in its production run. 

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

If you're planning to drive it though, I would recommend you maybe velcro on the AM or FM receiver and run a 2.4GHz system.  Swap it back while on display.

only problem is all those old Acoms had big fat incompatible plugs, even the KO & Sanwa had big fat chunky plugs ... nothing easily plug&play with the Fut-J plug format that today’s modern gear standardized upon. :) 

Invested a lot of time answering this for my NIB 🙄

The 959 was released in 1986 so would have had the Futaba Magnum Racer BFR if Japan or Futaba Attack FP-2NL for RoW - noting the former is a 1986 model but hadn’t hit shelves outside Japan when the 959 was shipped  

Futaba had largely abandoned cobranding - Robbe / Ripmax etc - by then so there were minimal regional variations 

The Acoms Techniplus Mk3 would also be period correct in the UK 👍

• Like 1