toyolien

XV-02 Build - Body to be decided...

I've been excited about this since it's announcement. I loved my TT-02 rally car, which eventually got turned into a drifter and was considering putting it back as a rally car when Tamiya dropped the XV-02.

A few months later, and here we are.

I didn't think Tamiya could produce a more complex chassis than the M-07, but this is amazing!

SiMbDME.jpg

It's nice to see hex hardware, and Tamiya's recommendation to use thread lock. I wish they would update a lot of their vintage kits to include these new plastics....

nTTtLjK.jpg

End of step 1.

uAimbVa.jpg

I usually love hop ups on my build, but this chassis doesn't really need anything. However, I have added a few cheeky bits of blue. Here's the first.

loxeusi.jpg

vDe1yrI.jpg

8cCdoOR.jpg

Next up are the diffs. The manual call for 3000 weight oil for both, but I'm adding 5000 to the front to stiffen it up a little. I'll see how that works and make changes from there.

Cghneao.jpg

PiWJMMH.jpg

V5Fxzoc.jpg

EWZth1N.jpg

Front suspension arms. I know Tamiya are bringing out some alloy mounts for here, but as I don't plan on adjusting the angle, I'll leave the plastic ones for now.

GXcpqt2.jpg

Next hop up are the centre universal shafts. The kit dog bones look fine, but I'd ordered these way before the kit pics were released. So, these will be going in.

jffq4UB.jpg

6d8uQtN.jpg

I'd also ordered the rear XV-01 suspension mount option parts so that I can adjust the rear toe. They fit a treat.

rLFQqEb.jpg

HfL0PGD.jpg

LxZdjd9.jpg

r7QSmmO.jpg

Last of the hop ups... for now.

aC6zP56.jpg

The two pins that are required to hold this assembly together are less than a milimetre apart in length, so it's real easy to use the wrong one.

56M9k58.jpg

58nw5ek.jpg

2BTCS3w.jpg

My TT-02 rally car had a 10.5t Hobbywing motor which was a lot of fun. So, I'm using Tamiyas TBLM-02S 10.5t brushless motor in here.

Kykk1D6.jpg

DSze4QW.jpg

Another hop up that I usually buy for my builds are universal shafts. It's nice to see these included.

rBgdXfP.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the front hubs, but here's the rears.

pXTmLWX.jpg

And here's where I'm up to so far. Next up the dampers.

0Dac8Lp.jpg

0wXUcsb.jpg

vpJDGNn.jpg

D2PbjLR.jpg

vTZjE1q.jpg

• Like 15

Nice! I've just put a pre-order in for one of these so will be following your build with interest 

It's good to see some of the quality touches in there; strong plastics, hex screws, aluminium steering posts and motor mount, universals...helps to explain why it's that bit more spenny than the XV-01

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Nice! I've just put a pre-order in for one of these so will be following your build with interest 

It's good to see some of the quality touches in there; strong plastics, hex screws, aluminium steering posts and motor mount, universals...helps to explain why it's that bit more spenny than the XV-01

Exactly. It's a lovely build so far. Never got round to getting an XV-01, had a TT-02 instead, which was great.

• Like 4

Looks GREAT!

This is NOT helping me NOT order one of these... :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This does look like a very satisfying build. Unfortunately, I think my popcorn will go stale waiting for the next instalment .

Thanks, Optima Mid :D

On 7/6/2022 at 9:11 PM, bRIBEGuy said:

Looks GREAT!

This is NOT helping me NOT order one of these... :lol:

Thank you. It's a fantasticly enjoyable build... well, so far...

6 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

This does look like a very satisfying build. Unfortunately, I think my popcorn will go stale waiting for the next instalment .

Thanks, Optima Mid :D

@Badcrumble It's an ace build so far. I've only stopped because I'm waiting for the titanium turnbuckles to arrive from Japan. Hopefully tomorrow.

And the Optima Mid build is because my local club is hosting the last round of their summer series in two weeks, and I want to enter the vintage 4wd class. So, I'm kinda ploughing through it.

I have taken build pics as I go if there's enough interest in a build thread. However, I have noticed that build threads don't seem to get the interest they once did, so I am wondering whether it's worth the hassle of taking pics, uploading them, writing all the text out etc... We'll see... Seems most people are happy enough just to use the "What have I done today" thread. (which is good, but it's doesn't beat a good old fasioned build thead... in my opinion of course):D

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, toyolien said:

However, I have noticed that build threads don't seem to get the interest they once did, so I am wondering whether it's worth the hassle of taking pics, uploading them, writing all the text out etc...

I hope not...Build Threads are pretty much all I do around here :lol:

• Like 4

@Juhunio, @toyolien: I also prefer build threads much more than only a post in the "What have I done today" thread.

Why?Your content of the build from over days/weeks/month is contiguous and not disrupted by other posts/foreign content. And someone else will find this worklog thread with the pictures even years later, assuming you give the (build) thread a clear and topic-related name and add some additional tags. Special pictures in the "WhIdt" thread...never ever ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, toyolien said:

Thank you. It's a fantasticly enjoyable build... well, so far...

@Badcrumble It's an ace build so far. I've only stopped because I'm waiting for the titanium turnbuckles to arrive from Japan. Hopefully tomorrow.

And the Optima Mid build is because my local club is hosting the last round of their summer series in two weeks, and I want to enter the vintage 4wd class. So, I'm kinda ploughing through it.

I have taken build pics as I go if there's enough interest in a build thread. However, I have noticed that build threads don't seem to get the interest they once did, so I am wondering whether it's worth the hassle of taking pics, uploading them, writing all the text out etc... We'll see... Seems most people are happy enough just to use the "What have I done today" thread. (which is good, but it's doesn't beat a good old fasioned build thead... in my opinion of course):D

A good build thread is the best thing to read here. The "WHIDT" thread gets the likes, as many people look through it, but a good long read of a build thread beats anything.

I've not had enough interesting builds to warrant a full thread but I think they provide a really good resource that people can click through. Perhaps people don't want to interrupt so much, but I think people do read and like them (even if they don't like each post). When @Mad Ax finishes his 6x6 tow truck I'll be a bit sad, as I've enjoyed seeing it, or @MadInventor's tractor. It's also about the only long-reads we have. WHIDT is like a facebook feed, a build thread is like a proper catch up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You’ve beat me to it, I’m still waiting on the last bits, the adjustable XJ’s. And double cardan shafts for the front, got all the other bits ready. FedEx gotta hurry up! 

• Like 1

Definitely an interesting looking chassis, and @toyolien...I gotta say that I love your build threads. Love the pics taken in the scale garage and everything.
My son finished his first build (TD4 Super Avante) recently, and ever since he's been asking what he can build next. He wants to do either a rally or grip build, and after seeing this, the XV-02 may be a contender. Was actually thinking of taking one of the 2 TT-01's my son and I have and turning that into a rally car, but it'd probably be more fun to build a dedicated rally chassis. Heh. One question about the XV-02 though...does Tamiya make a front one way differential for it by chance? The front one way is one of the reasons I was thinking of building a rally car out of one of the TT-01's. Both of ours have front one-way diffs (and rear ball diffs), and I love the ability to quickly induce a slide/turn with the front one-way by applying the brake, much like the use of a handbrake in real drift and rally cars. Would be great if this was available for the XV-02, but these days it seems like front one ways are becoming less and less popular.  
Anyway, subscribed and watching with interest...

• Like 1

@EsotericRC There's no front one way for the xv02 yet, there is a spool though or oil filled gear diffs (vary oil weight to tune).

There's no braking effect in the front axle with a one-way up front, so you'd need a very large open area to be running in for that to be beneficial from a handling perspective (from a racing point of view at least)

11 hours ago, EsotericRC said:

Definitely an interesting looking chassis, and @toyolien...I gotta say that I love your build threads. Love the pics taken in the scale garage and everything.
My son finished his first build (TD4 Super Avante) recently, and ever since he's been asking what he can build next. He wants to do either a rally or grip build, and after seeing this, the XV-02 may be a contender. Was actually thinking of taking one of the 2 TT-01's my son and I have and turning that into a rally car, but it'd probably be more fun to build a dedicated rally chassis. Heh. One question about the XV-02 though...does Tamiya make a front one way differential for it by chance? The front one way is one of the reasons I was thinking of building a rally car out of one of the TT-01's. Both of ours have front one-way diffs (and rear ball diffs), and I love the ability to quickly induce a slide/turn with the front one-way by applying the brake, much like the use of a handbrake in real drift and rally cars. Would be great if this was available for the XV-02, but these days it seems like front one ways are becoming less and less popular.  
Anyway, subscribed and watching with interest...

Interesting, never thought of it this way. For on road use the lack of braking and tendency to knock the rear loose are definitely the down sides of one-ways. For that reason they are considered outdated and only perhaps useful in low power silver can racing classes where braking isn't as important. But for rallying, you make a very good point! As far as I understand Tamiya went with an optional different gearing for front and rear to make one end of the car preponderant over the other. It will side with you apply power rather than the brakes then.

So... since the new oil filled and ball diffs of the XV-02 do fit the TT-02, is there any reason the TT-01/02 one-way would not fit the XV-02? 🤔

On 8/5/2022 at 11:07 AM, Juls1 said:

You’ve beat me to it, I’m still waiting on the last bits, the adjustable XJ’s. And double cardan shafts for the front, got all the other bits ready. FedEx gotta hurry up! 

Other way around here...I've got my Hop Ups, now just need the chassis kit 😂

spacer.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Other way around here...I've got my Hop Ups, now just need the chassis kit 😂

spacer.png

Why two sets of XH and A's? 🧐

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

Why two sets of XH and A's? 🧐

I haven’t been able to see a build manual yet, but assume you need a pair for the back and a pair for the front?

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

I haven’t been able to see a build manual yet, but assume you need a pair for the back and a pair for the front?

I haven't either but you often need 3 of one kind and one of the other. This to set the front parallel but give toe in to the rear. Again I haven't seen the manual yet.

18 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I've ordered the same as you as I thoughy it was the same front and rear. Certainly looking at the Tamiya youtube video that's what It looked like. I'll see when it arrives next week.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I've ordered the same as you as I thoughy it was the same front and rear. Certainly looking at the Tamiya youtube video that's what It looked like. I'll see when it arrives next week.

I thought I would crack open one of the 22055 parts and take a look at the instructions

Sure enough, it shows a combination of 22055 as FF and RF with 54884 as FR and RR, using different bushings to create the necessary angles. Standard is 0o front, 1.5o rear

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3