toyolien

XV-02 Build - Body to be decided...

On 1/20/2023 at 12:02 AM, toyolien said:

I'm finally back on the XV-02. I've been waiting for the big bore damper springs to come back in to stock somewhere before going much further. They arrived over Christmas, so the build is on again.

I'd collected the parts to build up some double cardan joints for the front.

CooyUK4.jpg

The servo cable needs to run under the center shaft and down the length of the chassis, so my usual black edition Savox servos were not long enough. So, I ordered the standard 1251 servo which has a nice long lead.

fcD6v4M.jpg

WYJ2QYO.jpg

mEpV96y.jpg

Next up the sway bars. I noted on @Juls1's build that the sway bar was very close to the front springs when using the big bore dampers. So, I slightly tweaked the angle of the bar to clear them (pics of the big bores a little later).

up85Lps.jpg

075R4VW.jpg

WBulOAA.jpg

sQJ9D0G.jpg

a8ITnlG.jpg

Onto the big bores. Assembling Tamiya dampers are probably my most favourite part of a build. And, these are no exception. They look marvellous.

6bNRmUb.jpg

I've used (as a starting point), no.6 1.6mm pistons for the front, and no.7 1.7mm for the rear.

CPkEg5B.jpg

I've had this Team Associated shock assembly tool for ten years or so, and I use it on every damper I build.

5krOrnc.jpg

sJO0PKv.jpg

qao42YN.jpg

jFp9aZw.jpg

Rod end tool saves my fingers once again.

atZmxEd.jpg

Medium oil in the front, and soft in the rear... for now.

5gmUiN8.jpg

This is the first time I've used the air removal tool. It's great. Much quicker than waiting and watching the air bubbles rise on their own, particularly when using thicker oils.

binyNJt.jpg

fGpMf1t.jpg

Here's all the air bubbles on their way to the top.

xi8KU2R.jpg

That was all I managed to do on the first evening. I was intending to get the dampers installed, but I was missing a small part from one of the parts trees. Despite emptying by bin a few times I couldn't find it.

The following day I wandered into the garage, and there it was on the floor. No idea how I missed it the previous night, but I did.

This is the culprit.

qCKeLEF.jpg

The dampers are installed and feel amazing. Easily equal to the Team Associated Big Bores I build for my RC10 B6.3.

0FJCpOZ.jpg

4WnlYfp.jpg

And here you can see the clearance of the sway bar. It's tight, but nothing fowls when the dampers are depressed.

T8oHlZL.jpg

ESC installed and the wiring tided up.

jPhP452.jpg

9902rWQ.jpg

Wheels and tires are on. I probably won't run the rally blocks, as this will mostly be a tarmac car, but we'll see.

9MuGaTt.jpg

CDkpzth.jpg

Lastly for now, the lexan cover is on.

dvxmogM.jpg

mTFmI2S.jpg

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a little before painting the body, but that will be the next job. Thanks for looking

Can I ask you for # of grease used in shocks? #42129?

Do you use it also on o-rings in diffs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

Can I ask you for # of grease used in shocks? #42129?

Do you use it also on o-rings in diffs?

Yep. Doesn't say it on the tub, but I keep all the headers I use:

YUgXPw4.jpg

I've used Team Associated Green Slime in the past but prefer this. I do use a tiny amount on the diff 'o' rings AND also a little on both sides of the gasket. 👍

• Like 1