toyolien

XV-02 Build - Body to be decided...

8 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

I thought I would crack open one of the 22055 parts and take a look at the instructions

Sure enough, it shows a combination of 22055 as FF and RF with 54884 as FR and RR, using different bushings to create the necessary angles. Standard is 0o front, 1.5o rear

spacer.png

spacer.png

Excellent thank you. I was hoping that would be the case.👍

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Excellent thank you. I was hoping that would be the case.👍

No worries 😀

Just browsing the manual that @Juls1 shared, and noticed that the front body mounts are over the bumper rather than the damper stay. This is different to the the XV-01 and means taking care with body set choices and buying un-drilled ones (drilled bodies generally / always seem to be drilled for the damper stay position)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

No worries 😀

Just browsing the manual that @Juls1 shared, and noticed that the front body mounts are over the bumper rather than the damper stay. This is different to the the XV-01 and means taking care with body set choices and buying un-drilled ones (drilled bodies generally / always seem to be drilled for the damper stay position)

Yep. I actually prefer the xv02 front mount position. Would make the body wobble less I think. I've got a Lancia Delta and a Yaris WRC, both undrilled. Can't decide which to use yet.

• Like 1

I just finished this Yaris WRC body recently. Needs paint on the grill over the front tyres and its good to go. Went for PS-32 Corsa Grey to be a little different and added LED spotters and in the front headlights for night time action.

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-06 at 8.45.27 PM.jpeg

• Like 11

On 8/9/2022 at 6:59 AM, toyolien said:

Yep. I actually prefer the xv02 front mount position. Would make the body wobble less I think. I've got a Lancia Delta and a Yaris WRC, both undrilled. Can't decide which to use yet.

Any tips on how to line up the body over the mounts to get the hole locations? I have a new body sitting over a completed chassis but getting the hole locations just perfect has been quite tricky. So far I am still fiddling with bits of tape and other hacks to try to get the alignment perfect. The body posts are quite tall so at this stage the body is floating several inches above the chassis which makes the task of aligning things even harder (at least for me). 

1 hour ago, smirk-racing said:

Any tips on how to line up the body over the mounts to get the hole locations? I have a new body sitting over a completed chassis but getting the hole locations just perfect has been quite tricky. So far I am still fiddling with bits of tape and other hacks to try to get the alignment perfect. The body posts are quite tall so at this stage the body is floating several inches above the chassis which makes the task of aligning things even harder (at least for me). 

That's the part I'm not looking forward to. I was hoping that the rears would line up like on a TT02 and then I could just mark the fronts and both wheels would line up. I'm not quite there yet though. Still waiting on a couple of bits to finish up the chassis.

9 hours ago, toyolien said:

That's the part I'm not looking forward to. I was hoping that the rears would line up like on a TT02 and then I could just mark the fronts and both wheels would line up. I'm not quite there yet though. Still waiting on a couple of bits to finish up the chassis.

Yes the rears should line up. The Yaris body has indents for the rear post and they exactly fit the XV02 at that spot for mine.

Best to drill holes when it's clear so easier to line up. Usually look from the side and then on top to ensure its centred, and they pray i'm close enough.

7 hours ago, Smirrors said:

and they pray i'm close enough.

That sounds like my sort of method👍

I'm finally back on the XV-02. I've been waiting for the big bore damper springs to come back in to stock somewhere before going much further. They arrived over Christmas, so the build is on again.

I'd collected the parts to build up some double cardan joints for the front.

CooyUK4.jpg

The servo cable needs to run under the center shaft and down the length of the chassis, so my usual black edition Savox servos were not long enough. So, I ordered the standard 1251 servo which has a nice long lead.

fcD6v4M.jpg

WYJ2QYO.jpg

mEpV96y.jpg

Next up the sway bars. I noted on @Juls1's build that the sway bar was very close to the front springs when using the big bore dampers. So, I slightly tweaked the angle of the bar to clear them (pics of the big bores a little later).

up85Lps.jpg

075R4VW.jpg

WBulOAA.jpg

sQJ9D0G.jpg

a8ITnlG.jpg

Onto the big bores. Assembling Tamiya dampers are probably my most favourite part of a build. And, these are no exception. They look marvellous.

6bNRmUb.jpg

I've used (as a starting point), no.6 1.6mm pistons for the front, and no.7 1.7mm for the rear.

CPkEg5B.jpg

I've had this Team Associated shock assembly tool for ten years or so, and I use it on every damper I build.

5krOrnc.jpg

sJO0PKv.jpg

qao42YN.jpg

jFp9aZw.jpg

Rod end tool saves my fingers once again.

atZmxEd.jpg

Medium oil in the front, and soft in the rear... for now.

5gmUiN8.jpg

This is the first time I've used the air removal tool. It's great. Much quicker than waiting and watching the air bubbles rise on their own, particularly when using thicker oils.

binyNJt.jpg

fGpMf1t.jpg

Here's all the air bubbles on their way to the top.

xi8KU2R.jpg

That was all I managed to do on the first evening. I was intending to get the dampers installed, but I was missing a small part from one of the parts trees. Despite emptying by bin a few times I couldn't find it.

The following day I wandered into the garage, and there it was on the floor. No idea how I missed it the previous night, but I did.

This is the culprit.

qCKeLEF.jpg

The dampers are installed and feel amazing. Easily equal to the Team Associated Big Bores I build for my RC10 B6.3.

0FJCpOZ.jpg

4WnlYfp.jpg

And here you can see the clearance of the sway bar. It's tight, but nothing fowls when the dampers are depressed.

T8oHlZL.jpg

ESC installed and the wiring tided up.

jPhP452.jpg

9902rWQ.jpg

Wheels and tires are on. I probably won't run the rally blocks, as this will mostly be a tarmac car, but we'll see.

9MuGaTt.jpg

CDkpzth.jpg

Lastly for now, the lexan cover is on.

dvxmogM.jpg

mTFmI2S.jpg

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a little before painting the body, but that will be the next job. Thanks for looking

• Like 13

Fantastic. Looks amazing with all those detail bits. If you are tarmac running, might I suggest the Ride cut slicks? You can get them in cross spoke wheels and they are way gripper than anything Tamiya I have tried. 

• Like 1

That looks the nuts! Is that two pairs of the front buggy big bores? Also, is it using the big bore piston rod and the right length? I see you got a couple of o-rings as internal spacers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Fantastic. Looks amazing with all those detail bits. If you are tarmac running, might I suggest the Ride cut slicks? You can get them in cross spoke wheels and they are way gripper than anything Tamiya I have tried. 

Thanks. I've got a few different sets of tires to try, including some HPI slicks. But I'll take a look at the Rides!

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

That looks the nuts! Is that two pairs of the front buggy big bores? Also, is it using the big bore piston rod and the right length? I see you got a couple of o-rings as internal spacers.

Thanks very much. Yep, two pairs of fronts built exactly like the manual says, except that the 'O' ring changes are detailed in the XV-02 manual when using the big bore dampers.

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Beautiful build @toyolien 👏

Also...now I really want a Tamiya bag to keep my oil bottles in!

Thanks. The bag is the perfect size for the larger ouil bottles. Doesn't come with the foam though. I made that and then added the holes using a wood drill bit in my pillar drill.

Something like this one:

YDW5IBg.jpg

• Like 2

Looks awesome. Are those shocks for a longer stroke setup than the ones in the kit? 

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

pillar drill

Has pretty much never not been on my Christmas list!

Finally got a couple of warm days to get some paint on. Although, in my usual style I rushed it, so it's far from perfect. I don't mind too much as it will be a frequent runner.

I wasn't going to go box art, but did like some of the livery. So, I went with my own take, putting some of the decals on, but not all. 

I really don't like doing these car bodies. There were over 100 decals, and after 7 or 8 I'd had enough. But I pressed on.

I didn't take progress pics, so I'll just post up the pics I did take.

Thanks for looking.

lpOCUK1.jpg
xfMTOau.jpg
LY5r9mn.jpg
RoaQBdg.jpg
GM8rJ4w.jpg
S87ORXr.jpg
CNkPJe6.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I don't have enough like buttons for how great that is

Thanks very much. I was totally disappointed when I pulled the protection mask off the body. I rushed it and never backed the camel yellow with white or silver before backing it with black and in a lot of places the black bled through. I was hoping for a "road going" look, but had to use most of the decals to hide the rubbish paint job. But, it's ended up ok. Certainly good enough to run. When I end up replacing the body I'll certainly take my time on the paint, as I really don't want to stick on these 104 decals ever again!

• Like 1

104 decals!! :blink: :blink: :blink: As its yellow you also generally have to empty the entire contents of a new can into the shell first before adding any backing colours as its practically translucent and utterly gutless in whatever their current ingredients are for the paint. The yellow pigments used to be much better.

Cant wait to here your impression of how it drives now! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

104 decals!! :blink: :blink: :blink: As its yellow you also generally have to empty the entire contents of a new can into the shell first before adding any backing colours as its practically translucent and utterly gutless in whatever their current ingredients are for the paint. The yellow pigments used to be much better.

Cant wait to here your impression of how it drives now! 

Thanks. Yes 104. I only ended up using about 86 of them.

I did use the whole can. When I've used this camel yellow before I've backed it with white before black. I hadn't got any white or silver, and thought "I'm sure it'll be fine". It wasn't... Lesson learnt... again.

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

😱

That's even more than the blimmin Lancia! 

Lancia does just get over number 100 but there are a few numbers unallocated along the way. 

14 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

😱

That's even more than the blimmin Lancia! 

Lancia does just get over number 100 but there are a few numbers unallocated along the way. 

I know. Two days work. All good fun though... mostly.

11 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I know. Two days work. All good fun though... mostly.

Yeah mine will probably account for 2 full days' labour once done. 

Excellent value for money if your buying the entertainment by the hour! 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Excellent value for money if your buying the entertainment by the hour!

:lol:

The XV-02 is one of my most used cars. My only criticism is that the kit chassis is kinda flexy. Not so much of an issue off road, but this is really only ever used on road. I'd looked at the Xtra Speed graphite upper deck and almost bought one, then Tamiya announced the carbon reinforced chassis, so I waited for that instead.

Here it is. And, it is miles stiffer. No need for an upper deck now.

OjZ6FyH.jpg

Once the electrics are out, it's a 20 minute job to swap both ends.

83kMTFb.jpg

LwdeE0l.jpg

WiBHZYt.jpg

Next up was to lower the ride height a little. So, I added 2x extra black 'o' rings inside each damper. Fronts now have 4, and rears 3.

r3PFdUS.jpg

Stiffer oil also. Purple #700

3ofdj5l.jpg

6twfeGh.jpg

Bye bye air bubbles.

HEZyxvW.jpg

FXNg35l.jpg

Not going to waste a drop.

kv0IEQN.jpg

Last job. While the car is apart, I wanted to build up the centre diff that I've had in the packet for a while. Just to see what, if any, difference it'll make. You'll need the TT02/XV02 oil diff as well as the XV02 70t spur combined with the diff case.

BZfVpam.jpg

BzxaZzM.jpg

w4efjPl.jpg

LzeihIG.jpg

lQr1X3A.jpg

The XV02 manual calls for 30,000wt oil in the centre diff, so that's what I'll start with. Into the 'bubble' machine again. This one took way longer than the dampers....

UiWudP4.jpg

xw3aJDk.jpg

All done, and ready to install.

Q13UXxG.jpg

vCOePCv.jpg

rVrn67l.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

• Like 7