GeeWings

Egress Black edition incoming

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo :( that doesnt look anywhere near as nice as the mini4wd inspired ones with the green wheels that we were hoping for

• Like 2

I doubt that the video shows the actual final model, or if it does, the colours in the footage have been tweaked. The table below originates from Tamiya Japan and the colours don't match the ones in the video. Whatever the final result will be, I would anyway have preferred something much closer to the Mini 4WD Egress Black Special.

image.png.fb18218889129f57914bd631c26d571f.png

• Like 2

Yeah, I am a sucker for the colour specials and I like the look of this one too so I will try to get one.I imagine it will be another disaster-zone release though, with loads of pre-orders not getting fulfilled.

Completely baffling why they didn’t just do a 1/10 Junior Black Special though.

• Like 1

All these years i have wanted to know what Hairy Ogre looked like.  Who ever built and raced the Egress must have a seriously cool or out of this world, I thought as a kid.

I guess Black windows was a no go with that colour scheme (Tamiya thought too much black) and so understand why the blue tint is used to enhance the scheme.  The down side is now i can see into the cockpit,...... and there is not one.

Where is Hairy Ogre and the technologically advanced cockpit of the Avante V2.0????  I can't put this next to an Avante with its stunning sci-fi interior and driver.  Im now going to have to make one Hairy Ogre driver myself.  Think i will go full on, robotic.

Thanks for the Egress BE vid and pic!

Hairy Ogre the robot.png

Hairy Ogre the robot2.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kol__ said:

(...awaits RC Kicks' 3-4mins YouTube vid to try and be the one that updates the world about this new Tamiya Egress Black vid to try and grab a load of views:rolleyes:;))

:lol:

• Haha 3

Umm that’s the black edition or the grey um dark edition? 😕 doesn’t feel very black.. seems like the just painted the body darker colour..

Was hoping for some grey / black anodised aluminium bits, screws.. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Umm that’s the black edition or the grey um dark edition? 😕 doesn’t feel very black.. seems like the just painted the body darker colour..

Was hoping for some grey / black anodised aluminium bits, screws.. 

According to Tamiya Japan, the shocks and C-hubs are supposed to be anodized "Dark Titanium", so either my eyes are defective or the car in the video isn't the actual Black Edition or the colours in the footage itself aren't correct.

I feel like Tamiya are getting lazier, it literally looks like the design team just opened an image of the original egress in photoshop and inverted the colours...

58583_1k.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Rich_8717 said:

I feel like Tamiya are getting lazier, it literally looks like the design team just opened an image of the original egress in photoshop and inverted the colours...

Yes, I wonder if that's what the car in the video actually is; a normal Egress with the colours edited in the video footage. I still hope the actual model will look different and quite a lot better.

The Egress it probably the best looking buggy Tamiya have ever done (to me anyway).

If it came with reinforced plastics and spares availability for 5 years, I'd happily buy one to race. Other wise, I'm out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

According to Tamiya Japan, the shocks and C-hubs are supposed to be anodized "Dark Titanium", so either my eyes are defective or the car in the video isn't the actual Black Edition or the colours in the footage itself aren't correct.

Titanium color could be subject I suppose. Maybe they mean the gold titanium nitride? I'm grasping at straws here.

I still can't get over how weird the Egress re-re looks without the more vertical shock setup. I guarantee this makes the car handle completely different. Standup shocks are more linear through the suspension stroke and wider lower mount points of the re-re give a mich higher wheel-rate. It looks more like an Avante 2001.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, taffer said:

IMG_20220731_063424.jpg

Oh no😭😭😭😭😭

I'm sticking with my initial take, that this is gorgeous. But @toyolien is right, the wheels are nasty! 

Easily replaced though...

• Like 1

Wow, the video really over-sold it. :lol:

Wrong choice of colours in pretty much every way. Even the uprights are underwhelming. The only real reason for getting one of these is the dampers, unless Tamiya are silly enough to release them as a spare part. Which they won’t.

I do need a runner Avante 2001 though, so I still might get one of these.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I do need a runner Avante 2001 though, so I still might get one of these.

A far better option as far as I am concerned than a Color coded Egress.They are great runners , especially with some hop ups, high caps etc

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

Eew. Those grey wheels look so cheap. I don't like that.

Yep, cheap looking like the DF-02 Aero Avante grey Star dish wheels, which was my fear when I heard they were doing grey on the Egress Black.

I think all the colours are cool, even the window tint, but it feels like they've just slapped it together and the colour scheme and layout of the colours does not work at all.

I also think the gold shocks look like a really weak washed out kind of gold and the spring colour is a clash - the could've at least done black springs.

This was a real opportunity to remake an absolute Tamiya classic here and put a dark themed spin on it. To me it feels like they think they don't even have to try and they seem pretty happy with it on the vid, bizarre as it looks pretty basic to me. I mean even wheels to match the window tint or blue stickers and black shock springs could've saved it imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kol__ said:

Yep, cheap looking like the DF-02 Aero Avante grey Star dish wheels, which was my fear when I heard they were doing grey on the Egress Black.

I think all the colours are cool, even the window tint, but it feels like they've just slapped it together and the colour scheme and layout of the colours does not work at all.

I also think the gold shocks look like a really weak washed out kind of gold and the spring colour is a clash - the could've at least done black springs.

This was a real opportunity to remake an absolute Tamiya classic here and put a dark themed spin on it. To me it feels like they think they don't even have to try and they seem pretty happy with it on the vid, bizarre as it looks pretty basic to me. I mean even wheels to match the window tint or blue stickers and black shock springs could've saved it imo.

Totally agree. I really wish Tamiya would do what Kyosho have done with the Mid and update the plastics and transmission for modern motors. I've never really been bothered about cosmetic changes, but if they were more race worthy (like the original kits were intended), then I would happily buy one to race. 

• Like 2

Just watched the video on the Tamiya Channel - admittedly don’t speak Japanese, but…. I think Kol basically summarised the only differences. Feels like not very much for a lot more cash.

The Egress is one of the grail buggies for me - I pined for one back in the late 80s, but they may as well have been £1m. I was lucky enough to get two in the last round of reres (I think reres will continue to be…. rere’d….). I will build both and run one of them (as NEED a perfect shelf queen - but also desperately want to drive one!). I’m not sure this black edition is special enough though based on the videos and my lack of speaking Japanese (in case I missed some important info) - like it has added mechancial blingey bits, like a turbo charger, fragments of moon rock embedded in the chassis plates and a special sticker on the gt tuned, I mean super duper super stock motor that will of course come with it.  

I’ll probably get one. 

(joking!)

(I think)

(****…). 

• Like 1

The wheels need to be black or blue, so they match parts of the body!

• Like 1

I think it's a missed opportunity. Tamiya could easily have made a new sticker design, molded the wheels in an attractive colour and anodized the C-hubs and dampers in green, orange, purple or any colour that would make them different enough from the dampers and C-hubs of the regular Egress. The Black Edition simply isn't different enough to appeal to me.  Next!

• Like 3