GeeWings

Egress Black edition incoming

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

I've never really been bothered about cosmetic changes, but if they were more race worthy (like the original kits were intended), then I would happily buy one to race. 

Same here. The original box art style of the old buggies is so ingrained in my mind after pouring over those guidebooks and catalogs as a kid that changes to the scheme don't really excite me. I can appreciate some, like the Avante Black which also came with some meaningful changes but I will always prefer the original. It seems if the original design can just "get by" Tamiya never puts the thought into upgrading/updating the kits the way Kyosho does. I know color editions have a history with Tamiya going back to the black Porsche but these always seem like a quick way for a cash grab but that's just my opinion and if someone likes the new look (or just the chance to get an Egress again) that's totally cool too.

• Like 2

I'm not much of a fan of this new car.  I would really like to purchase a re-released Avante or an Egress if I could score one before the LHS quickly runs out of the next batch.  Quick question: How many people would purchase this Egress Black edition or just a re-re Egress (assuming the standard re-re Egress is at a lower price)?

42 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I know color editions have a history with Tamiya going back to the black Porsche.....

I won't even claim it was the first "Black Special", but Tamiya released the 1/32 Lotus 30 Lightweight Black Chassis slot car in 1966! If I remember correctly, Tamiya also had a Black Special slot car motor in the sixties.

j318.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Just saw this. 

😂😂😂😂 Told you so!!😂😂😂😂

You could just read my comments on the previous page, as Gavin has said nothing new there really!🤔😉

And thank **** for a video where's he's not wearing that awful, awful children's cap!!

I do actually really like Gav and his content btw, he's great, just a bit predictable and again god what is up with that hat!!!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Yep, cheap looking like the DF-02 Aero Avante grey Star dish wheels, which was my fear when I heard they were doing grey on the Egress Black.

Hey! I just bought an Aero! Took me a long time to find one! 😭

44 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

You could just read my comments on the previous page, as Gavin has said nothing new there really!🤔😉

I actually never clicked on this thread, I was watching Gavin's channel while researching for something new and this video popped up so I thought I will share it. 

My view about all these "editions"? Tamiya is becoming like Hasegawa, rewrapping old stuff to sell as new and "special". 

7 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Hey! I just bought an Aero! Took me a long time to find one! 😭

Lol, I know bud, but that still don't make it pretty!😂 The Rising Storm on the other hand, looks awesome imo. Each to their own:D

8 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I actually never clicked on this thread, I was watching Gavin's channel while researching for something new and this video popped up so I thought I will share it. 

Fair enough bud, my comment wasn't in any way a pop at you for posting the link (but I think you get that:)) I was just amused by how similar his comments were to mine. Tbh though it seems most of us feel that way. Bad Tamiya, bad! ...goes off to look for a spanking emoji...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Lol, I know bud, but that still don't make it pretty!😂 The Rising Storm on the other hand, looks awesome imo. Each to their own:D

Fair enough bud, my comment wasn't in any way a pop at you for posting the link (but I think you get that:)) I was just amused by how similar his comments were to mine. Tbh though it seems most of us feel that way. Bad Tamiya, bad! ...goes off to look for a spanking emoji...

It’s a badly designed colour way and I don’t need the video to tell me that ;) 

Most people know I’m a big Egress fan but don’t love the box art version. This take on it has made me appreciate the original like never before! This just looks cheap and feels a bit like a knock-off. Shame.

Those few people who have already built their beautiful takes on a Black Egress can rest well knowing their efforts won’t be beaten!

But at least it’s being released so a few people that want to own an Egress get another chance.

I just wish they would do a big run of spare parts while they were at it. 

• Like 1

Tamiya! Just give us some optional Vanquish wheels in fluorescent pink, yellow and green. We'll take it from there!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Rich_8717 said:

Slightly better picture released on the Tamiya blog today

Tamiya-47489-1.jpg

Wheels aside, I still think it's a beauty 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich_8717 said:

Slightly better picture released on the Tamiya blog today

Certainly looks better in that proper photo

• Like 1

so the shocks and uprights are slightly smoked gold.. Still very lazy.. then again, they know that it will sell, so they will keep releasing lazy new versions 

Personally think the shocks should have been some sort of dark grey anodised, and the stand offs that hold the top plate, motor mount and other aluminium bit should be anodised in what ever shade of dark they were planning… then it would be a proper special edition.. lastly the wheels, slap a dark plating on them.. not just grey abs

• Like 2

Still not an Egress with that spider-legs looking front shock setup.

I saw an interesting and sort of obvious (but I’d totally missed it….) point on a you tube comment. Might have been mentioned above - but - this is simply a “black edition”, not a “black special” - hence no trick parts. Just different colours….

In light of that, I guess it is what is says on the tin. So we(?) probably shouldn’t be annoyed that it has no upgraded parts.

Whether they should have released a black version rather than a “black special” is a different point entirely - although the Egress is already pretty tricked-up, so other than a special motor, are there lots of additional upgrades they could have supplied?

No one screamed at the black edition Monster Beetle or Lunch Box - although the price points were a bit different I suppose!!!

I still think they’d have shifted a lot of units with another run of the “standard” 2013 rere, and am not really sure of the point in this one… so it does seem a missed opportunity of sorts.

• Like 1

I think it's fine.  Not great, but not terrible.  As mentioned before, it will be a great way for more people to get to own (or part out/hord/resell/etc...) an Egress.  My biggest complaint is with the "Dark Titanium" anodizing on the shocks and such.  Whoever picked this has obviously never seen titanium.  It looks like bronze anodized titanium to me, but certainly not actual titanium.  :(

In other news... Tamiya has the MSRP listed at $578usd (HERE)... so it might not be a bonkers expensive kit considering the Avante Black is listed at $803 (HERE).  XV02 is listed at $520usd MSRP and sells for $364usd at Tower Hobbies.  So that could put the Egress ~$400-$420usd on shop floors?

• Like 2

I’ve gone and pre-ordered :unsure::lol:

• Like 1

I think it looks smart. It's just a black edition, it's not meant to offer anything other than a different look to the original. I always thought the Egress Box art was very bland, this looks much better. I also really liked the black Monster beetle. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, qatmix said:

I think it looks smart. It's just a black edition, it's not meant to offer anything other than a different look to the original. I always thought the Egress Box art was very bland, this looks much better. I also really liked the black Monster beetle. 

Me too & the black edition Lunchbox, Midnight Pumpkin, Super Clodbuster… any others I missed?

2 hours ago, J@mes said:

Me too & the black edition Lunchbox, Midnight Pumpkin, Super Clodbuster… any others I missed?

Grasshopper 2 I believe 😉

I actually like the look, being only 40 I guess I was a bit young when the original was around so I have absoluently 0 nostalgia associated with that model, cars of the early to late 90’s light my fire just because I was the age when I could pay attention.  My first car was a fighter buggy rx and that was the cheapest tamiya at the time when I could afford to buy a car myself as my folks wouldn’t cough up a cent.

so to date I’ve had 0 interest in the egress Re Re but this one I think would look good on the shelf in my rc room.  :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Grasshopper 2 I believe 😉

Good one! The Fighter Buggy Memorial is a black edition in all but name (& wheels!)

• Like 1

I think there was also a hornet black edition at some point..

11 minutes ago, qatmix said:

Blacker than the normal black Hornet?🤔😂

Sorry, couldn't resist. Maybe there was one🤷

7 hours ago, qatmix said:

Nope, they’ve only done the Metallic (which was actually more like a black chrome) Special, the Jun Watanabe and the Supreme.

They did do a Grasshopper Black Edition though, as well as the recent Grasshopper 2 version too.