Sign in to follow this  
IXLR8

Mountain Rider, re-release differences?

Apparently the Mountain Rider has been re-released in kit form on three separate occasions and under three different part numbers:

July 2014 as p/n 84386

December 2014 as p/n 57071 (84386 packaged with a radio)

April 2019 as p/n 47394

I'm curious if Tamiya has made any changes to the Mountain Rider from 2014's 84386 to 2019's 47394.

If not, is it common for Tamiya to re-release a second time (re-re-release) the exact same kit but under a different part number?

Differences in the kit, I don't know. However, my mate has a re re mountain rider from 2014 and there are subtle differences in teh chassis build compared to my ReRe Bruiser.

Most notable is stage 9 where it says to remove some flashing from the axle with a file.

I've had some time today to take another look at this.

On tamiya.com, manuals for Mountaineer and Mountain Rider aren't available - only the manual for the Bruiser re-release.

On tamiyausa.com, both Mountain Rider models are listed as "discontinued" however, when I attempt to download the manual for 47394 (2019), I'm given the manual for 84386 (2014).

If the link for the 47394 manual is correct, then there are no differences between the two models unless there was a supplement (insert) provided with the 84386 manual.

If someone has a 2019 Mountain Rider (47394) and could check your manual for an insert, that might answer my question.  thanks!

On 7/10/2022 at 9:30 AM, IXLR8 said:

If not, is it common for Tamiya to re-release a second time (re-re-release) the exact same kit but under a different part number?

not unknown :) think the other big one was Fighting Buggy

84xxx used to be for special one-off items, 57xxx usually for RTR package and 58xxx is usual unlimited kits. 47xxx has crept in as continued further batches maybe. 

On 7/15/2022 at 11:28 PM, WillyChang said:

not unknown :) think the other big one was Fighting Buggy

84xxx used to be for special one-off items, 57xxx usually for RTR package and 58xxx is usual unlimited kits. 47xxx has crept in as continued further batches maybe. 

That's some very useful info, thanks for your reply.

I've heard that while a kit remains in production, Tamiya won't make changes or revisions to any of its parts. When a the kit is discontinued and later re-issued, only then will Tamiya make changes.

An example of this could be the King Hauler semi truck which was released in July 1993 and, apparently, has never been discontinued for over 29 years now.  A similar truck that is newer, the Grand Hauler (released in Feb 2015), uses the same transmission as the older King Hauler and yet it's shifting forks have been updated to a simpler design that are likely less expensive to manufacture.   Those new shifting forks still haven't found there way into the old King Hauler kit.  If you purchase a King Hauler today, it will include the old forks.  This is only one example but it seems to confirm that changes only come when a kit is re-released.