FC5687

Top Force EVO vs Super Avante

Personally, TF Evo all day long.

I really wanted to like the TD-4 (and corresponding TD-2 chassis), but am really put off by the outrageously finicky battery mounting scheme of the former...not to mention the needlessly bizarre body styles on both.

I know the Evo isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I adore the way they look.

• Like 1

For me, it's all about CF deck chassis so that is why I have the TF Evo, but I can see myself getting a TD4 maybe after I'm done building my Optima-MID?  (given I can find display space.. :ph34r:..)

But as mentioned on other threads, I would like to get a SuperEgress with all hop-ups and bug fixes included if Tamiya is going to offer one.

For shelf or running? If running the EVO will

need: front and rear metal up rights , front metal C-hub, metal motor mount, metal bell crank set up and rear metal differential Cover with reinforcement for the shock tower. Once those mods are done it’ll be pretty bullet proof. I just broke the bell crank on my runner at the track yesterday. 

For shelf ignore all of that. And the EVO will be more valuable in about year.

THe TD4 won’t need any of those mods and will be reliable out of the box.

It depends what you want it for I think. If I get a TD4 it will be to have a buggy that has easily accessible spare parts and is likely more robust than the TFE. The TFE is from a different time and (depending on your opinion) the peak of Tamiya's buggies from that generation. And it happens to be beautiful ;)

Egress! J/K. Evo for me. If doing track duty, the Super Avante with its reinforced plastics will serve you better. The Evo only needs a metal motor mount to be fine for relaxed running with reasonable power. Its when the power goes up and they see modern track duty, the Evo's shortcoming come into play. For being their top-of-line race buggy at the time, the Evo shares the same un-reinforced plastics with the base Manta Ray. Fine for tracks BITD if you didn't crash too much but not for todays tracks and power possibilities. 

• Like 1

TF Evo: 

+ looks good 
+ mmm carbon 
+ retro vibes 

- - made of cheese 
- - no spare parts

TD4 / SA

+ viable runner / basher / racer 
+ not made of cheese 
+ spares 
+ hop-ups 
+ alternate body/s available 
+ lots of hacks / mods to work around some of the quirks

- doesn't look that good unless you go nuts on the paint job and do alternate masking etc
- needs allow diff nuts or a hack to get durable diffs 
- battery thing annoys some people 

If I wanted something to look good on a shelf, Evo. If I wanted something to bash, TD4. 

• Like 1

Evo .

there isn’t anything super about the Super Avante

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

Evo .

there isn’t anything super about the Super Avante

But if you take the Super out of Super Avante you are left wth an Avante. And the TD4 is no Avante ‍‍😬

• Like 2

I have a TF almost Evo but not the Evo. I also have modern race kits, but no TD4. It all depends on what you want. The TF Evo is a fantastic runner if you stay within its limits and was my favourite build of all my kits. It is fantastic and everyone should have one

However, I suspect the much more modern TD4 will be a better runner in every respect

Also, I'm listening to Motorhead Ace of Spades right now somwhat do I know?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Also, I'm listening to Motorhead Ace of Spades right now somwhat do I know?!

🎶 If you like to race ‘em, I tell you I'm your man
TD4 or Evo, all the same to me 🎶

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For a runner/racer Super Avante for me, some hopups required but they're quite tough, drive nice, and parts are easily available.

From a hopup perspective, front UJs are worth having, and so is the slipper clutch, I also added gear diffs to mine (swapped from an XV01) and the aluminium rear suspension mount + sway bars.

The alloy rockers, steering parts, and servo stays look very nice as well, but the stock plastics are good so I wouldnt class them as essential.

If you keep the stock ball diffs then the alloy diff nuts are essential IMO.

Evo looks better on the shelf thouhh

If I had to choose I'd go with the Top Force Evo every single time. I really like how it drives, and it's the pinnacle of the DF01 chassis.
I haven't been able to wreck that many parts on any of my DF01 buggies, the only hopup I use is the metal motor mount, and contrary to what has been stated in this thread I find spare parts easy to come by. This might be a geographical question, as I'm in europe, I've got no feel on the spare parts situation in the US etc. 

For looks and pedigree I'd go with the Top Force Evo, it's a thoroughbred classic. The TD4 might be a future classic for all I know, but it'll probably be around longer with design revisions etc, so I'd rather get at TFE at a normal price now instead of bleeding your wallet dry on ebay in a year or two. 

TF Evo, but I'm dressing it up as a Dirt Thrasher.  (Waiting until that one is re-released, which will likely be never.  Since the manta ray already came back twice.) 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, DTSCB said:

TF Evo, but I'm dressing it up as a Dirt Thrasher.  (Waiting until that one is re-released, which will likely be never.  Since the manta ray already came back twice.) 

I've considered similar. It's just the mahussive gap that there will be between the DF-01 body shell and the bottom of the TF carbon chassis. It looks bad enough on the plastic DF-01 chassis, let alone being able seeing in to all the exposed carbon and electronics when fitted over (towering over) a TF chassis.

I've wondered if there could be a way to lower the DF-01 shells (Terra Conqueror and Dirt Thrasher to be specific), but looking at the TF body shell with its cut off nose and front end shaped to form over the front gear box, I think lowering the other body shells will not be an option really.

59 minutes ago, FooRCscale said:

Dare I say it.......... get both of them!

:angry: 

Must be nice to have.. room (?)

:lol: 

21 hours ago, FooRCscale said:

Dare I say it.......... get both of them!

Yeah. They are so different, absolutely room for both in a collection. 

• Like 1

I have just started building a TFE and it is a very nice car to build. It will not be run hard though as I really do want to keep it in great condition.

I have got a Revive RC body set and original TFE stickers for it which I will paint slightly different colour and use as the running body.

Have to say I love the look of it.

I might get a TD4 in the future but it hasn't really grown on me yet and I prefer the look of the TD2.

• Like 1

TFE is old-school-cool, and looks great on a shelf.  Drives quite well, but...... BUT...... remember this is a car that was released 30 years ago... as a top spec version of a chassis released 32 years ago.

So will a TFE run better or be more durable then the TD4... which came out less than a year ago?

:wacko:

The TD4 is VERY polarizing, and certainly quirky (er... Tamiya).  But hands down it will be the better car for actual modern use.

Go back up and re-read the post by @Howards, it's pretty much band on, IMO.

If its the body shell that's turning people off to the TD4, the one from Revive RC looks nice IMO: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354033223842?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjwof6WBhD4ARIsAOi65ajemlgPWSEmhuraUFdKNzUcc3qCT6ICsEYOk9tCa8r9yczHuDhMROkaAkg4EALw_wcB

And the new Azarashi shell looks good too (I'll be grabbing one of these as soon as they come into stock in the UK): https://www.rcmonkey.jp/2022/04/team-azarashi-td4.html?m=1