smirk-racing

TA02SW speed gear set - need help selecting pinion

Hi All,

There's a 'speed gear' set for the TA-02 with a 69t and 66t spur. I'm interested in as much speed as possible (obviously ;) ) so that means I'll be using the 66t spur. Anyone know the largest pinion I can fit? I'll leave the motor mount in the setting for the 21t pinion (stock configuration, and I assume that's the furthest the motor can get from the spur) so that means I'll be taking up the space between the motor and spur with a larger pinion. I am guessing something like 25t but I'm not quite sure what will fit. Can anyone help me out? What's the right pinion for the 66t spur (given the motor is staying in the same place)?

Thanks!

Hi @smirk-racing :)

The HS gear set is useful for enabling you to fit faster motors to this chassis by offering a wider range of final drive ratio (FDR) options. So you're best off starting with your motor choice, and working from there

The HS gear set comes with a chart which tells you which combination of spur and pinion achieves which FDR 

In this build, I wanted to use a Tamiya SS RZ motor , which has an FDR range of 6.5 - 7.5, so I checked the leaflet in the HS gear set and chose the spur / pinion combo that ended up at about 7, in the middle of the motor's range (69 / 24)

spacer.png

In this instance, the Dyna-Run Racing Stock Motor's box tells you which spur / pinion options you can use in the TA02, so I used that as a guide and went for 66 / 24

spacer.png

In both cases, I started with the motor and then selected the spur / pinion combination that worked for it 

The motor mount then has multiple different positions for different pinions' tooth counts, and the positions relative to the mount screws are printed in the HS gear set's leaflet.

Screw your motor to the mount using the position that matches your chosen pinion's tooth count, and you're good to go

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Hi @smirk-racing :)

The HS gear set is useful for enabling you to fit faster motors to this chassis by offering a wider range of final drive ratio (FDR) options. So you're best off starting with your motor choice, and working from there

The HS gear set comes with a chart which tells you which combination of spur and pinion achieves which FDR 

In this build, I wanted to use a Tamiya SS RZ motor , which has an FDR range of 6.5 - 7.5, so I checked the leaflet in the HS gear set and chose the spur / pinion combo that ended up at about 7, in the middle of the motor's range (69 / 24)

In this instance, the Dyna-Run Racing Stock Motor's box tells you which spur / pinion options you can use in the TA02, so I used that as a guide and went for 66 / 24

In both cases, I started with the motor and then selected the spur / pinion combination that worked for it 

The motor mount then has multiple different positions for different pinions' tooth counts, and the positions relative to the mount screws are printed in the HS gear set's leaflet.

Screw your motor to the mount using the position that matches your chosen pinion's tooth count, and you're good to go

Hope that helps!

@Juhunio thanks so much! I don't know if you had those pics laying around, or took them for this post (they certainly seem spot on), but either way thanks! (btw you take great pics!). Much appreciated. I happen to have the exact same motor as you (SS RX) so I'm going to start with the 24t pinion.

7 hours ago, sosidge said:

Here's a gear chart I've stolen from the internet

@sosidge Thank you so much for explaining how the motor mount worked. I guess now that you've explained it is simple, but at first I was a little confused. Thanks for linking to that diagram - very useful!

Such a great community - thank you both!

• Like 1

I´m running 29/66 on a Carson Cup machine with integrated fan for a TT01 like ratio for large tracks. But a bit of dremeling is necessary, to get the space for the pinion. Not sure, if I described the procedure here on TC, But I "dremeled" / grinded the space with the motor and some pinions. In the end there´s no hole in the gear box, and you don´t have to be afraid of sand and debris going into the gear box.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

@Juhunio thanks so much! I don't know if you had those pics laying around, or took them for this post (they certainly seem spot on), but either way thanks! (btw you take great pics!). Much appreciated. I happen to have the exact same motor as you (SS RX) so I'm going to start with the 24t pinion.

You’re welcome! They were both pics from previous build threads that came in handy here too 😃

Enjoy 👍

Could you post the Dyna-Run box image without the spur/pinion gears on top to show the motor characteristics please? Has anyone got similar info for other motors down to the standard tin can type?

Are Tamiya part numbers: 47393/47328/53127 identical for the high-speed gear set? I read somewhere that 47328 was the re-release of 53127. But neither are available, so I wanted to absolutely confirm the before the use of 47393.

For DF-01 users, the reason it is marked as unsuitable for Manta Ray is because of the size of the pinion gear hole on the gearbox. See the following link for a very complete explanation:

DF-01

I've picked up one of those high speed gear sets in case I decide I want to give my DF-01 some more speed👹

I watched the vid @gavin67890 linked above, as I had a query about the gears. Unfortunately that chap made a booboo with the recording and didn't show the inside of the gearbox. 

From my recent resto and rebuild of my DF-01, I know there are two aluminium gears in the rear gear box, which are prone to perish (tbh they just look weak as @*!& anyway). So the high speed gear set has a gear moulded to the spurs, so that swaps out one of the ally gears in the gearbox.

My query is how do we replace the other ally gear? Assume there is a plastic one available out there somewhere?🤔

Re Re Top Force or Evo G Parts is probably the cheapest route for just the idler gear. Try model-build on eBay for:

Tamiya 9005355/X10576 Top Force/Evolution G Parts (47470/58100/58107) (Gear Bag)

£6.15 inc. postage

Or if you want the moulded spur for 74T spur gear look for Tamiya Part 50529 (gets you the idler cog as well). Approx. £11

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gavin67890 said:

the moulded spur for 74T spur gear look for Tamiya Part 50529 (gets you the idler cog as well)

Ah nice one mate, didn't realise there was an option to retain the standard 74T spur gear when eliminating the ally gears. I'll go that route for now as I want to run it standard gearing initially and that will give me the plastic idler gear as well, and then if I want to go to a lower tooth spur I'll be good to go. Cheers!

Sounds good. Apparently, RW pinion gears .6 pitch are the way to go as well. Modelsport have them in all sizes.

Source:

• Like 1