Sign in to follow this  
SuperChamp82

Stranger Things - Hoppers Truck / Chevy K5 Blazer

I know @JennyMo did an epic take on this but has anyone done a vanilla version for their kids ? 

1/10 seems to be a choice between RC4WD or Traxxas kits / RTR ? 

Both of which would also host a Jaws / Chief Brody shell 🤔

I’m going to build with my youngest - now 11 and 3 Tamiya under her belt ! - so all thoughts welcome 👍

Thanks in advance,

SC

You could also do a tiny one with an Axial SCX24 or something, and a plastic model Chevy Blazer. I think AMT and Monogram both make one.

• Like 2

My vote would be for the RC4WD Blazer. It's a nice piece of kit!

Though RC4WD has its quirks, It's actually the thing I like about them. Though I do enjoy a challenge, so that's just me.

-RC Perspective

• Like 1

If it's for the kiddo, I really suggest building one with a Lexan body.  It will be durable and keep the center of gravity low, overall yielding a more gratifying drive for the little one.  

Regarding the chassis, use what is readily available in your area.  In the US Element and Axial are the big names, but from what I see on the forums MST is a big name in Europe.  The availability of aftermarket and replacement parts will expedite repairs and hold the kid's interest. 

• Like 1

Thanks v much all đź‘Ť

Sounds like no one has done this ? with some v good suggestions 🤔

@Mad Ax idea may be best for a Dad / Daughter build - as simpler, quicker, cheaper ? Thank you sir 

Open to any final thoughts though ?

SC

8 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

@Mad Ax idea may be best for a Dad / Daughter build - as simpler, quicker, cheaper ?

I really enjoyed my GS-02 BOM build last summer.  It's not as straightforward as a Tamiya (instructions are slightly less clear in places) but the truck came together really well, great attention to detail and by no means a "budget" truck - the GS-02 chassis has some quirks on the trails (I found mine wants to flop over on its side a lot, but some basic tuning helps, the GS-02F Buffalo is an updated chassis but some people say it has the same odd characteristics).  Also worth bearing in mind if you get the Civilian version of the kit - the stock tyres are really good.  Most kit tyres need replacing immediately with something built for the trials, but the tyres on my BOM are easily as good as my Proline Hyraxes on rocky trails.

I'd say go for it - it will be a longer and more complex build that most Tamiyas but an increased challenge should increase the enjoyment and learning opportunities, just take it steady and check the screw sizes before you start turning them in :)

• Like 1

Final question - if it had to be Tamiya what would be the best chassis to start with ? 

Aftermarket Chevy Blazer shells seem to be tricky ?

Ending up compromise between gently stepping up from what our youngest has built before vs Dad chopping a shell for hours to fit 🙄

If it had to be Tamiya, I'd go with a CC02.  I haven't actually built one, but if you want a trail rig, it's at least got the right axle plan.  I'm not sure about the wheelbase options compared to readily-available bodies, so you might have to get creative with links.  You'll have to spend extra on a body, and if you want to do more than drive around in the back yard or some gentle trails you'll probably want better tyres too, and that adds to the cost, and ultimately it won't perform as well as more dedicated crawler platforms if she wants to go proper crawling.

You could go with a CC01, which may be a cheaper entry point.  It's got the wrong suspension layout for a scale build, but if that doesn't bother you (or her) then it's a solid chassis for backyard running and they're great on the trails.  They're compact, so you can get the body low over the wheels for a more street-oriented scale look.  The front brick can get hung up on the trails, though, and it's best to build the rear axle with a bunch of spare bearings and washers to shim out the inherent play - search online, there's some great tutorials which explain how to do it mostly using spare parts from the kit, assuming you fit metal bearings - which takes you away from the easy build path anyway.

My personal choice (if building with my daughter) would still be the GMade Buffalo, but that's mostly because I go to a few crawler events and I'd want my daughter to come along with something that can compete with everybody else, and I'd be a bit more attentive during the build to compensate for the slightly trickier instructions.  If you don't do dedicated crawling events then that's not an issue.

• Thanks 1