Sign in to follow this  
alvinlwh

Motor shaft too short

OK, after killing a 540 in my DT-02, I tried to swap in a silver Sport Tuned motor and found that the shaft is too short. DT owners will be familiar with the setup of the gearbox and know that the spur gear sits flush to the face where the motor shaft comes out. So the grab screw needs to be on the other side of the gear teeth. I then tried a silver can and it too has a shaft that is too short. I temporarily resolved the issue by using a 380ST but that one also started smoking which means I need to look for something else. I checked a BZ I have on hand and that one has a longer shaft but I do not want such a fast motor in this car. As for a GT Tuned I have, it is too expensive to risk melting too. ST probably as fast as I want to go for this car.

Are there any pinions suitable for the DT that has the grab screw goes through the teeths instead of on a neck at the end? 

• Like 1

Just checked my DT-02 with a silver can motor. I have a 19T Tamiya steel pinion installed. It's close to the edge but it work, some Loctite however is mandatory in this position. The pinion does not perfectly align with the spur gear but up to now there is no problem with it. 

IMG_20220717_172926_compress78.thumb.jpg.fb54480663d2d2715b95199c31a65273.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

Just checked my DT-02 with a silver can motor.

The newer/newest seem to have a far shorter shaft. My grab screw just goes all the way through without touching anything. 

JrV2NWi.jpg

Absima vs silver can 

• Like 1

Problem solved. Turns out that pinion gears have different heights. 

z3nk7NX.jpeg

L - RW Racing

R - GPM

• Like 1