Frankster

TD-02 or Zahhak?

TD-02 or Zahhak?

I realize one is a 2022 design and the other is 2010 ish.  But the Zahhak is based on TRF201 racing design. Both are locally available for the same price

Can’t comment on the Zahhak as I haven’t been able to get one yet but the TD2 is great.

Where are you seeing Zahhak’s available 😁

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Misterp180 said:

Can’t comment on the Zahhak as I haven’t been able to get one yet but the TD2 is great.

Where are you seeing Zahhak’s available 😁

A local store and online second hand NIB in HK. Body is ugly but suppose to be night and day with regular Tamiya kits.  Name is horrible too!

You interested?

Well, the Zahhak being the budget TRF201 means its comparable to the Associated RC10B4 (often called the "metric B4") which was probably the peak of rear motor 2wd. The B4 had a long successful run. The Tamiya versions are quite different from the usual shiny black plastic. cheap and cheerful DT02type 2wds Tamiya typically puts out. It definitely has racing roots (albeit in the old rear motor format) I have no idea what the spare parts situation would be for something that old though.

The TD02 is not bottom of the line cheap nor top of the line TRF (now, sadly defunct) but it is mid motor which is definitely where 2wd buggies are at, design-wise, nowadays. Their plastics are a step up but the TD02 is not descended from a racing buggy, though I would guess they wouldn't be completely out of place on a track (just not on par with todays top-level stuff as Tamiya saw fit to inject their unique brand of quirkiness rather than copy a successful design like the TRF201 was of the B4). Spares are probably going to be more abundant in this fresh new buggy.

• Like 2

Due to parts availability I would go TD2.

A DN01 really needs at least the rear driveshafts (UJ's) and slipper upgrade in my opinion, and while the slipper is still available - rear driveshafts are rare. The alloy suspension mounts for the rear are also worth having (but the 3 degree RF and RR mounts are very hard / impossible to find).

Front wishbones, and front and rear damper stays are also very hard to find, but you need at least the front damper stay in the spares box and at least a couple of front wishbones if the car is to see any kind of serious use - but they are also almost impossible to get.

I recently had to purchase an entire DN01 just to put some much needed parts in my spares box (as I don't like showing up to races with no spares).

TD2 parts are easy to get, its strong, and it's a good handling buggy, adding the slipper clutch and an oil filled diff and you'll have something that can run reliably and well for many years with easy to get spares. 

If your buying for racing purposes, I would only get the 201 if it's a loose surface, if it's high grip then the TD2 should be ok (as it's mid motor which should be better in high grip conditions)

Thanks @Saito2 and @BuggyGuy  yes finding spare parts is a factor.  Always wanted to try a TRF build but will prob pass and stick with a TD2.

@BuggyGuy If you are looking for another Zahhak, there is one in HK for around US$200 (not including shipping).

I won’t be hardcore racing but would enjoy a good amateur race / bashing.

By what happened to TRF cars?  Why was it discontinued?   They could not compete for the price?

They stopped with TRF off road suddenly as they weren't getting a good return on investment apparently, despite having great cars and drivers. I can believe it - getting hold of the cars was too difficult and spares weren't easy enough either even when the cars were in production (at least here in the UK).

A lot of this is probably down to the distributors in each region prioritising the hobby grade kits that they can sell in higher volume.

Tamiya still make on road TRF cars - and they are amazing!

If you want an off road car that is comparable in quality to a TRF buggy then Xray is probably as close as you will get (but no TRF blue!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuggyGuy said:

They stopped with TRF off road suddenly as they weren't getting a good return on investment apparently, despite having great cars and drivers. I can believe it - getting hold of the cars was too difficult and spares weren't easy enough either even when the cars were in production (at least here in the UK).

A lot of this is probably down to the distributors in each region prioritising the hobby grade kits that they can sell in higher volume.

Tamiya still make on road TRF cars - and they are amazing!

If you want an off road car that is comparable in quality to a TRF buggy then Xray is probably as close as you will get (but no TRF blue!)

For me not too many tracks or super flat surfaces for road cars near me to drive.   Buggies are more forgiving as I can drive on road or off-road surfaces.  

Gonna stick with Tamiya as (most) buggies have fun characteristics and are not too serious with available parts support. 

What @Saito2 says...

bitd, we just got the car we liked (well, asked Santa...), but now we have the foresight to know, that spares are going to be an issue on the older cars, which is so annoying ,when you've a car with a small part broken, and you can't get a replacement, kind of renders it as a, shelter...😪

Pretty much all my cars are based on parts availability (one of the reasons I've gone with Schumacher ,as parts in the UK are fairly cheap and plentiful).

The TD range is on my radar, once 2nd hand prices come into the price range I'm prepared to pay..😏

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Frankster said:

A local store and online second hand NIB in HK. Body is ugly but suppose to be night and day with regular Tamiya kits.  Name is horrible too!

You interested?

@Frankster I have been looking for one for a while but the prices over in the Uk are crazy when they appear! I missed out on them last year when there was a restock. Tamiya still have this model in the catalogue so fingers crossed for another release.

Part availability does worry me though. It is hard enough getting hop ups for recent models let alone older buggies. However, I too really want to build something that is close to the TRF buggies before they disappear altogether.

The TD2 though is a great build and imho a lovely looking buggy. 

56 minutes ago, Misterp180 said:

@Frankster I have been looking for one for a while but the prices over in the Uk are crazy when they appear! I missed out on them last year when there was a restock. Tamiya still have this model in the catalogue so fingers crossed for another release.

Part availability does worry me though. It is hard enough getting hop ups for recent models let alone older buggies. However, I too really want to build something that is close to the TRF buggies before they disappear altogether.

Agree as I have not built a TRF buggy before.  Would be interested to try a build but would need to do something about the body.

Overall I would not be professionally racing but would like to try a upper end / modern 2WD buggy.  TD-02 is as new as it comes with a great body and available spare parts.  Do I really need some of the hopup parts?  I hear the slipper clutch is a must but can I just program the transmitter to lower the throttle at “go”?

34 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Agree as I have not built a TRF buggy before.  Would be interested to try a build but would need to do something about the body.

Overall I would not be professionally racing but would like to try a upper end / modern 2WD buggy.  TD-02 is as new as it comes with a great body and available spare parts.  Do I really need some of the hopup parts?  I hear the slipper clutch is a must but can I just program the transmitter to lower the throttle at “go”?

I would say that slipper is not a must with most of the Tamiya silver can types or stock motors, only if your going for a "hot" motor would I consider it essential.

13 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

What was the UK prices for a Zahhak?

6 hours ago, Frankster said:

What was the UK prices for a Zahhak?

I just got a new build one from eBay for just under £300 with delivery

There's an BNIB one with five days to go in the auction at £310 right now

And there's a moderately hopped up 201 currently up for £800, and a BNIB one for £2500 (crazy)

Wow, that's hard to swallow considering Tamiya USA was blowing 201s out for $180 and Zahhaks for $110 for awhile at one point.

I think the 201 I've built from NIP parts (excluding the XR and XM conversion kits) came to £450 - It was beyond the spec of a stock 201, but I did use lunsford turnbuckles, and no Tamiya screws/bearings/diff balls etc to save a few quid.

Took a while to do though and I don't think you can do it now due to parts availability for a few key bits.

I've just ordered some Kyosho RB7SS rear driveshafts as they were the key bits I'm missing to build an XM version (excluding dampers!). But if they don't fit I wont be able to complete it (though TD4 driveshafts might fit if I use TD4 rear hubs - though I'll have to use DF03 wheels if I go that way). Using TD4 bits will also compromise the rear geometry as the turnbuckle at the axle end will be to far outboard.

• Like 1