DTSCB

xv-02 pro has hex screws, now I want hex screws for my other models

I was reading a thread on here about the xv-02 pro and saw pictures of it. 

It looks like all of the screws (that I could see) are hex instead of Phillips screws. 

Now I want hex screws in my other models. 

What is a good source for converting my models over to hex screws?  Will I actually be able to find them all?  Or is this a fool's errand and I'll only be able to find the most common screws?

Thanks. 

Ebay is my go to. M3 x ? is the most common screws size, occasionally M2.6. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Ebay is my go to. M3 x ? is the most common screws size, occasionally M2.6. 

This.

Buy in bulk on eBay. Just figure how many and what kind from your manual.  I bought stainless hex sets for my Dragon and CC02 this way. Even found self tapping ones.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I bought stainless hex sets for my Dragon and CC02 this way.

I got stainless steel ones after my kit (MST, 3R) screws rusted like mad. I actually got stainless steel Philips for my Tamiyas. But be warned, their get rounded easier than steel screws by the ham fisted me, so don't do them in too hard. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

This.

Buy in bulk on eBay. Just figure how many and what kind from your manual.  I bought stainless hex sets for my Dragon and CC02 this way. Even found self tapping ones.  

I was looking for 3x8 hex tapping screws and I had trouble finding anything that wasn't from china. 

While I could find a seller from China that was around for many years, I was wondering if you found another seller? 

2 minutes ago, DTSCB said:

I was looking for 3x8 hex tapping screws and I had trouble finding anything that wasn't from china. 

While I could find a seller from China that was around for many years, I was wondering if you found another seller? 

I’ve used “SuperiorSell2014” and “glhk01”, both Chinese ebay sellers.  No problems so far, and I’ll probably use them again.

For harder to find lengths, I’ve used Square RC.

My last resort is Wilder’s, a local shop that carries every imaginable screw and nuts ever made…

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DTSCB said:

Or, treat yourself to the Tamiya drill chuck (74086) and thread forming tap (54232)

This negates the need for any self-tapping screws. You tap your own threads using this tool and then use standard machine screws

Greatly increases the range of screw lengths available, removes the necessity to try and source both self-tappers and machine screws, and my favourite part is it also makes the build process longer. It's a win-win. Win. 

Here in the UK I use accu.co.uk to source screws, I'm sure there's an equivalent in the US :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Or, treat yourself to the Tamiya drill chuck (74086) and thread forming tap (54232)

This negates the need for any self-tapping screws. You tap your own threads using this tool and then use standard machine screws

Greatly increases the range of screw lengths available, removes the necessity to try and source both self-tappers and machine screws, and my favourite part is it also makes the build process longer. It's a win-win. Win. 

Here in the UK I use accu.co.uk to source screws, I'm sure there's an equivalent in the US :)

You use the tap to blanket replace self tapping 3x?mm screws?  This isn't only intended to assist 3x?mm machine screw holes? 

The directions on it seem to list specific models for it to be used with. 

Since Mr. Metric closed down, no great single seller of metric screws has popped up in the US yet.  :(

4 minutes ago, DTSCB said:

You use the tap to blanket replace self tapping 3x?mm screws?  

Yup 👍 

4 minutes ago, DTSCB said:

This isn't only intended to assist 3x?mm machine screw holes?

Nope 😃

5 minutes ago, DTSCB said:

The directions on it seem to list specific models for it to be used with. 

I can’t speak for every variety of RC kit, but I’ve used it on Tamiya touring cars, rally cars, m-chassis, 2WD and 4WD buggies without any issues 👍

Hex head screws everywhere, and not a self tapper in sight 😁

This not only looks neater but also reduces the risk of repeatedly removing and replacing self tapping screws, constantly chewing new threads. Obviously the method of reversing a self tapping screw until it drops back into its own thread works, but I just prefer to get rid of self tappers altogether 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juhunio said:

This not only looks neater but also reduces the risk of repeatedly removing and replacing self tapping screws, constantly chewing new threads. Obviously the method of reversing a self tapping screw until it drops back into its own thread works, but I just prefer to get rid of self tappers altogether 

I used machine screws instead of tappers on my CC02 (bc I was too impatient to wait for delivery from China) and they work just fine.

Terry

• Like 1

But just to be clear, you have to do this up front.  You can't switch an already cut tapper hole to a machine screw, correct?

Tamiya's titanium screw's are nice😳

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, svenb said:

Tamiya s titanium screw's are nice😳

Are they philippics or hex?

3 minutes ago, DTSCB said:

Are they philippics or hex?

They’re hex. And hex-spensive 😂

• Haha 4

So just to be picky :)the "Phillips" screws on Tamiya cars are actually JIS, not Phillips. You can turn them with a Ph2 screwdriver but the fit isn't perfect and will sometimes skip. If you have to use them or of you want to preserve the vintage look of JIS screws it's a good idea to treat yourself to a Tamiya screwdriver like the 74007.

But that is all moot once you convert to those ebay hex machine screws and use the Tamiya thread rolling tool discussed above 😊 I found the quality to be hit and miss with some screws not threaded correctly all the way to the head, some hex heads not fitting the wrench correctly etc. I have by now found a reliable seller that I'm happy with and I have converted all my cars as I'm not so much in the vintage look thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DTSCB said:

But just to be clear, you have to do this up front.  You can't switch an already cut tapper hole to a machine screw, correct?

I built my DT-03 & DT-02 as the manual said to, with tappers.  I have been switching over to machine thread as I take something apart and put it back together.  No problems so far.  If the hole got stripped with a tapper, it may be compromised, but 50/50 chance a machine thread will work fine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

You can turn them with a Ph2 screwdriver but the fit isn't perfect and will sometimes skip. If you have to use them or of you want to preserve the vintage look of JIS screws it's a good idea to treat yourself to a Tamiya screwdriver like the 74007.

Hate to say this, the 74007 (which I have) will also cam out like a Philip. 

2 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

I built my DT-03 & DT-02 as the manual said to, with tappers.  I have been switching over to machine thread as I take something apart and put it back together.  No problems so far.  If the hole got stripped with a tapper, it may be compromised, but 50/50 chance a machine thread will work fine.

Same experience here. I found that the tapers actually don't bite very deeply inside the bore and therefore  usually leave plenty of untouched material for a conversion to machine threads.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:38 AM, Frog Jumper said:

I used machine screws instead of tappers on my CC02 (bc I was too impatient to wait for delivery from China) and they work just fine.

Terry

This is what I do as well.. hex screws are nice, but I honestly haven't really cared about screw heads.  I mean if it came with hex screws I'll use them, if the kit came with JIS (+) screws I'm also okay with those.  It's when I see regular (-) screws I scratch my head.. like early M38's came with (-) screws and I first could not tell whether they were factory screws or if the prior owner(s) lost the screws and couldn't find the same size (+) screws and got whatever was available at the LHS in the 80's..  :D

• Like 2