SlideWRX

12mm hex conversion for the DT02/03 chassis'

IMG_1662resize.jpg.ed139fcc0e39944544c0df30bdcb6848.jpgIMG_1663resize.jpg.e921587dce1f6b73ac8dc69fea5fff4d.jpg

This is designed to fit right into the stock carrier to make conversion to hex easy.  It uses easily available parts (M-chassis axle, 5mm ball connectors & easy to find bearings) to assemble.  It works with DT-02 & 03, and could work with most models that use Tamiyas common steering uprights.

Edit: Argh, link doesn't seem to link right - got to shapeways.com, and search for dt03 and it should come up.

Tell me what you think!

Edited by SlideWRX
  • Like 2

Yeah it does. I use the Schumacher uprights with trf carrier but it'd be nice to have something that fits stock, and the Schumacher Cougar hex conversion kit is not in stock anywhere. So I'm a bit worried it might've been discontinued 😬

Interest!!!  :D I had it up on shapeways for 6+ months and didn't get any interest.  The parts themselves were holding up fine, but more quickly than I expected I noticed the bearings were getting pretty rough.  After the initial crash testing & tumbles I was driving it regular, just in the back yard & road - no sand or anything.  It seems like the bearings are slightly to small to be durable for this fitment, so I pulled it while I redesigned it.  Kyosho uses a 4x8 bearing for the Scorpion line, and this was slightly smaller at 5x8.  I redesigned it to fit a 5x9 on the inside and standard Tamiya 5x11 on the outside for more durability, but made a rookie mistake on the bearing size and just haven't taken the time to correct & release the new design. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

Interest!!!  :D I had it up on shapeways for 6+ months and didn't get any interest.  The parts themselves were holding up fine, but more quickly than I expected I noticed the bearings were getting pretty rough.  After the initial crash testing & tumbles I was driving it regular, just in the back yard & road - no sand or anything.  It seems like the bearings are slightly to small to be durable for this fitment, so I pulled it while I redesigned it.  Kyosho uses a 4x8 bearing for the Scorpion line, and this was slightly smaller at 5x8.  I redesigned it to fit a 5x9 on the inside and standard Tamiya 5x11 on the outside for more durability, but made a rookie mistake on the bearing size and just haven't taken the time to correct & release the new design. 

If I had known about this I would have bought several sets!

Redesign and rerelease please!!!

Terry

I probably would've done too. Although my Schumacher bits are also good. By the way, my post up there reminded me to chase my back order for them and the shop said they're not discontinued and will be incoming at some point, just not sure when. I will stick with those because I've got the TRF C hubs, but if I was starting from scratch I think I'd have preferred your 3d print option. 

What part is the suitable M chassis axle? Have you a parts list to accompany your redesign?

4 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

What part is the suitable M chassis axle? Have you a parts list to accompany your redesign?

I have used Tamiya 9805502 and yeah racing M03-131BK, Tamiya 54183 should work as well.

From the currently hidden description page:

Parts needed to complete this:
2x  5x9x3mm bearings (part # MR95RS or similar)
2x  5x11x4mm bearings (part # MR115-2RS or similar)
Tamiya wheel axles (part # 9805502, includes 2 axles)
2x 12mm Hex Wheel Hubs
2x 5mm Ball Connectors

slightly tweaked picture from the original listing.

1892141032_IMG_1652resize2.jpg.9a4be65cdc1420c9fb3b1abba1c33826.jpg

I split the new design up into two different pieces - the original could do both.  Which would all of you prefer?

Version2Angled.jpg.445606fad8a366ae68d9f676818b5ae2.jpgVersion2Straight.jpg.6244da2363fbe754fa7160bbbb40af23.jpg

• Like 2

I feel the OG design is the one. Having the option for adjustments is a bonus.

if you’re making changes id look at altering the steering link arm height from its central position to reduce the bump steer.

12 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

The arm at that point is ~4mm thick vs ~2mm for the stock piece, so it would sit ~1mm higher at that end.  I don't run a stock steering system for either my DT-03 or DT-02 anymore, so I can't tell you what height they should be at to fix that.

Yeah , a few more mm as an option would be a benefit imo. 

nice rack……. 

is that also on shapeways?

It was going to be, but it is a pain in the butt to install.  :D Also, it has zero bump steer going straight, but because the steering rack still swings up & down, the angle of the steering arm changes vs the suspension arms and during turns it has noticeable bump steer.

I went back & checked the stock straight arm and it is ~4mm thick at that point as well, so no change from stock.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

The arm at that point is ~4mm thick vs ~2mm for the stock piece, so it would sit ~1mm higher at that end.  I don't run a stock steering system for either my DT-03 or DT-02 anymore, so I can't tell you what height they should be at to fix that.

Noticed the system sneaking in first post, but thought the rack would slide side to side...

Still, let us know when the uprights will be available!

• Like 1

Heya,

I corrected the new design, sent for a couple sets and just received them.  Fit is great, just haven't had a chance to drive them.  We got an ice storm last night that knocked out power.  Doing fine, just no real opportunity to drive these while everything is soaking wet and covered in ice.  Let me give them a once over and I'll put them up for sale.  The last few sets have survived general running/tumbling so I think they will be alright.  Let me know what you think!

IMG_2276_resize.jpg.875deaeb8174a16c71f20b082673df29.jpgIMG_2277_resize.jpg.513ba99f882d1f05477986c4f7e2090c.jpg

IMG_2278_resize.jpg.7bd94220f53d4f0f205334a876f2b28c.jpg

IMG_2279_resize.jpg.77bbfdf117328d86167b1c93b0b06561.jpg

IMG_2280_resize.jpg.24065aa2b02c98f7bdf989320909cab3.jpg

IMG_2281_resize.jpg.8a69bc0869c4f88a69d4e6283eb03a56.jpg

• Like 3

I think these'll be a winner. But can we now get hold of the elusive 22mm shafts for kingpins? 

Elusive? 54395 has four 22mm clip to clip shafts, 9805683 has two 22mm clip to clip shafts.  I got both parts last year,  Thinking they were different because of the label, but they are the same.

6 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

Elusive? 54395 has four 22mm clip to clip shafts, 9805683 has two 22mm clip to clip shafts.  I got both parts last year,  Thinking they were different because of the label, but they are the same.

Ah. Thanks. 54395 was out of stock when I was looking, and there was a thread on here not long ago looking for them. I'll stick the other set on the shopping list then! 

:D I have put the new version up for sale.

http://shpws.me/TqQk

Let me know if anything is messed up on the page.

Also, what 12mm hex do you use?  I had some leftover from a buggy suspension upgrade off of the plastic tree - basic Tamiya plastic versions.

11 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

:D I have put the new version up for sale.

http://shpws.me/TqQk

Let me know if anything is messed up on the page.

Also, what 12mm hex do you use?  I had some leftover from a buggy suspension upgrade off of the plastic tree - basic Tamiya plastic versions.

Great work. I would def go for these if I didn't have more of Schumacher's ones incoming. My DT-03 uses Schumacher hexes that use an o-ring to retain the pin in the hex, but other than a small weight benefit (and that I've had no problem with them, so reliability seems good) I don't know why they have that over a standard 5mm clamping hex, which would get the same offset. I guess a 0 offset hex wheel on this would sit a little in-board of where a bearing wheel would be on the kit uprights? 

If I did another DT-03 after my son's it'd use yours or I'd print similar, to use the stock C hubs. Reminds me - do you have to shave off a bit of C hub so the end of your axle doesn't hit it at full lock? It must be tight in there. My TRF C hubs place the kingpin somewhat further out to give more space. 

I think your moving the axle rearwards 6mm might help the weight balance of the car and action of the front suspension. 

3 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Great work. I would def go for these if I didn't have more of Schumacher's ones incoming. My DT-03 uses Schumacher hexes that use an o-ring to retain the pin in the hex, but other than a small weight benefit (and that I've had no problem with them, so reliability seems good) I don't know why they have that over a standard 5mm clamping hex, which would get the same offset. I guess a 0 offset hex wheel on this would sit a little in-board of where a bearing wheel would be on the kit uprights? 

If I did another DT-03 after my son's it'd use yours or I'd print similar, to use the stock C hubs. Reminds me - do you have to shave off a bit of C hub so the end of your axle doesn't hit it at full lock? It must be tight in there. My TRF C hubs place the kingpin somewhat further out to give more space. 

I think your moving the axle rearwards 6mm might help the weight balance of the car and action of the front suspension. 

This is what it looks like without shaving anything:

steering.jpg.bc831910fd5d01d139749832ffa47cba.jpg

They are almost the same angle, but not quite.  you can see the bearing sticks out a bit.  The bearing is big enough and I wanted enough material around it, that it would not fit closer to the pin; ~6mm is about as close as I was able to get.  You can see it sticks out ~2mm in order to get that much steering angle; in hindsight another 1mm out would be enough to match the original angle without shaving anything. :)  

• Like 1

They are still there; link seems messed up.  Go to shapeways.com and search for dt03 and it should come up.  I'll post in your other thread as well.

• Like 1