Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Can you convert a DBO1 to a TRF501?

Soooo does the DB01 share anything with its TRF brothers other than its arms? 

Can you convert it over the way one would a manya ray to an EVO?

• Like 1

I know you can use the diff drives and suspension. I think you can use the steering bridge. That's about it.

• Sad 1

Aabsolutely you can. And then once you've done it you'll have most of a DB01 leftover so then you'll buy the bits you need and have a DB01 as well! I recommend it*

*Having done it with my TA07 I would have bought the TRf419...but then I wouldn't have 2 TA07s!

• Haha 4

don't forget the spur gear, pinion, belts. Oh and velcro.

At least 4% of the componentry! Maybe 4.5% GO FOR IT

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Howards said:

don't forget the spur gear, pinion, belts. Oh and velcro.

At least 4% of the componentry! Maybe 4.5% GO FOR IT

Lol! I should just get a modern AE or Losi, always been a Tamiya nerd and I like doing things the hard way!

11 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Aabsolutely you can. And then once you've done it you'll have most of a DB01 leftover so then you'll buy the bits you need and have a DB01 as well! I recommend it*

*Having done it with my TA07 I would have bought the TRf419...but then I wouldn't have 2 TA07s!

Hahaha yep, me in a nutshell!

Suspension arms, shocks, hubs, steering cranks, driveshafts and diffs should all go over to 501 (diffs and shocks may depend on the DB01 version you have).

I want to say the steering setup can go over as well but I'm not as sure on that.

The problem you have with going twin deck chassis on the DB01 is that unlike the DF01 / Top Force, the diff mountings are moulded into the DB01 tub. This means to convert you either need to track down the TRF501 aluminium bulkheads or get some made. I am all for a project, but personally I would get the DB01 properly sorted and call it done. 

On 7/19/2022 at 2:56 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

The problem you have with going twin deck chassis on the DB01 is that unlike the DF01 / Top Force, the diff mountings are moulded into the DB01 tub. This means to convert you either need to track down the TRF501 aluminium bulkheads or get some made. I am all for a project, but personally I would get the DB01 properly sorted and call it done. 

Great advise! Thank you! I’m going to get one of these, I wish tamiya made a less quirky modern 4wd than the TD4!!! I’d really like a DB02, should’ve bought one when I had the chance!

• Like 1

Db02 is too sub-par. Plastic prop & driveshafts make it a terrible starting point.  DF03 was their early performance entry level kit, but it was very quickly surpassed in every way by the DB01. DB01 is such a precision scalpel with high-quality glass reinforced resin injection molded parts. Even the box-stock kit is 10x better than a hopped up DF03. That's why the DF03MS was kina a flop.

The part people have difficulty with is putting philllips screws into the DB01 hard plastic. What they don't know is that Tamiya doesn't actually use "Phillips" screws. The use a compatible type called JIS (japanese industrial standard). If you get yourself a high quality JIS screwdriver you will never struggle again. They can be found on Amazon, or any Tamiya or TRF brand driver will automatically be JIS.

Look up "JIS vs Phillips" on yew-tewb and you'll see what a difference a driver can make.

Thanks 94!!!!! I plan on going all hex, but that is good gouge, yeah a shame the DB02 wasn’t to the TR503 as the DB01 was to the 501/511.