Sign in to follow this  
GeeWings

Why heat shrink one motor connection?

Can someone tell me why only one of the wires connected to the motor needs to be covered (with heat shrink tube)? I’m sure it’s obvious (just not to me)…

I just did this yesterday! I assume it is on the motor end, to the motor tabs you are asking about?

It is for safety I presume. It is not always done, for example on open bell end motors, they are not done. My guess is on closed bell end motors like the silver can, the tabs are a known weak point and can break from too many bendings, in fact I had broken one off in the past. Heat shrink will prevent short circuits if it break free. If the un-shrinked side broke free, it will come into contact with the shrinked side, so still no short circuit. 

I'd imagine it's just one of the factory processes to limit the chance of shorting across the terminals in use. And one bit of shrink is cheaper than two. Bear in mind the main market for brushed electric motors is industry rather than hobbies, every penny counts.

There's no need to shrink the terminals on the motor for RC.

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I just did this yesterday! I assume it is on the motor end, to the motor tabs you are asking about?

It is for safety I presume. It is not always done, for example on open bell end motors, they are not done. My guess is on closed bell end motors like the silver can, the tabs are a known weak point and can break from too many bendings, in fact I had broken one off in the past. Heat shrink will prevent short circuits if it break free. If the un-shrinked side broke free, it will come into contact with the shrinked side, so still no short circuit. 

Surely you mean 'End bell' ? :o

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Surely you mean 'End bell' ? :o

Not sure actually, I had seen it called both. 

Q1cgf9m.jpeg

Thanks for the responses. I had assumed there was something about electricity or polarity that I had missed. Glad to know it’s simply to save some money! 

@alvinlwh I think @MadInventor was trying to avoid you offending anyone! Lol