Rb4276

Top force evo ball diff

I had sometime today and even though i switched to a manta ray gear diff in my front evo gearbox I wanted to rebuild the diff that was slipping. Looks like I got the infamous  tamiya silver dust on the short gearbox joint. I am guessing the glue i added did not hold the joint and caused it to do this. The diff looks perfect otherwise. I am surprised my rear held up compared to the front.

B6C0C690-A02B-4BF6-823F-CD5EBB315E4B.jpeg

Try and get hold of some of the older hard joint cup sets if you can (53217) and the older diff plates as well, the splines on the older parts are more defined and aren't as prone to stripping. I've stripped two of the 'modern' ball diffs but I ran a 5000kv brushless motor in my original (1991) top force for years and never even had to rebuild the diff, people don't like to admit it but the tamiya metal parts are worse quality these days than the original stuff we had years ago.

If you are jumping it and running brushless I would just bin the ball diff altogether and stick a gear diff in the rear as well.

good luck!

On 7/23/2022 at 4:53 AM, Rich_8717 said:

Try and get hold of some of the older hard joint cup sets if you can (53217) and the older diff plates as well, the splines on the older parts are more defined and aren't as prone to stripping. I've stripped two of the 'modern' ball diffs but I ran a 5000kv brushless motor in my original (1991) top force for years and never even had to rebuild the diff, people don't like to admit it but the tamiya metal parts are worse quality these days than the original stuff we had years ago.

If you are jumping it and running brushless I would just bin the ball diff altogether and stick a gear diff in the rear as well.

good luck!

Thanks, as of now the rear ball diff is fine with a 4600kv brushless. I have all the parts to convert that to gear too if need be. I just wanted to rebuild the front to have but I am not going to go crazy if I cant find the parts.