Sign in to follow this  
Gebbly

GF-01 with CVA Mini Shocks - options?

I'm building a GF-01 Toyota Land cruiser (which may end up with a WW2 body) and have the CVA Mini shock set as a hop-up for it. I plan on mostly just driving around the drive way and the garden which is a little bumpy but not rock crawler territory. (There may or may not be a tiny jump if I dare). Given this could anyone with similar experience suggest the appropriate choices in the shock kit regarding

1. piston ring (V8 "stiff" 1 hole, V9 "standard" 2 holes, V10 "soft" 3 holes)

2. Piston rod spacers (apparently TL-01B advised to use a single V3, TT-01/TL-01/TGS advised to use both V3 and V11), should I use any or none?

3. Spring tension adjusters (a sort of collar to fit at the top of the spring), there are 3 thicknesses. Do I need any? which one?

thanks

For regular driving I use either the single or double hole pistons and yellow damper oil.  

The damper does not need to feel stiff when compressed, it’s really just the rebound I want to control so that the car does not hop around while driving.  

It works well with the factory springs that come with the kit.  

• Like 1

Hmm I think I used the set made for the WR-02 84366 and I used the default which if I recall correctly was 2 hole piston and yellow soft oil. 

Tbh I found it a bit under damped, still somewhat springy. I think I ended up going to 1500cst oil vs the original 400cst.

Now when I press it and let go, the rebound is very slightly delayed vs just springing back with the 400cst. It feels more akin to something like my traxxss slash now and seems to handle landing jumps lot better.

With the 400cst,  it was a lot better than stock when going over bumpy ground but any kind of air and it rebounded to quickly and would go back up in the air.

• Like 2

Added the white WR02 CVA set on my first FJ40 GF01; recently built a GF01CB hotshot. Both run 2h pistons with a thicker than yellow oil... around 40-45wt. 

Stock springs work ok but angle of shocks do make a difference too. (CB arms are slightly longer than TL01 arms too)

Spacers inside & outside depend on how you want to limit suspension travel. Without limits the tyres will rub on chassis bits at full compression. You’ll have to decide whether it’s better to Let the tyres slap the chassis or transfer all that bumpstop force to the shock mounts. 

• Like 2