Hello all,

I am after some advice please.

I have always wanted a Clod or TXT1 but never got myself. I have started to actively look for one or the other.

It would mainly be used for bashing, jumping etc.

I know the TXT1 is no longer made so how difficult is it to get spares. Are wheels etc interchangeable between the Clod and TXT-1

I will probably upgrade bits.

What are people's thoughts on which one would be better please? 

TIA

Give the scarcity of parts, and from the sounds of it you want to give it a good hammering, I would say the Clod. If cheap spares (Well any spares) were available for the TXT then I would say get a TXT all day long, I have 2 and think they're great, it's relatively easy to fit 1/8 brushless in them, but the axle guard plastic are prone to snapping when you get a hard landing, from even small jumps. Land on one front wheel and it's bye bye axle guard mount on one side. 

The wheels are sort of interchangeable, but you need to change the stub axles and drive hubs, as the drive lugs are different sizes on the inside of the wheels, and the drive hubs are different thicknesses (Hence the need for the longer stub axles)

I've got TXT wheels and the longer axles fitted on my clod buster, it drives a lot better for the extra width, and tires don't rub on the axle guards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd agree with @MadInventor on this, and for the same reasons.  The TXT is a great kit - it's a much more involving build than the Clod and a very visually imposing truck, but spares aren't easy to find and if you're jumping it hard you're going to risk axle parts.  That said, mine is around 15 years old and has never broken a single thing.  It spent a lot of that time in a box, but it spent some time on 14.4v as well and now runs on 3S LiPo.  The stock truck is softly-sprung and the sway bars are completely inadequate, and the axle guards / link mounts / servo mounts are a clumsy design, IMO - but there's not a lot of aftermarket parts to improve, so it's not an easy truck to upgrade unless you like fabricating parts.

The Clod, OTOH, is a rugged truck to start with and a modders dream, with so many directions you can take the build and so many aftermarket parts available.  Out of the box it's a clumsy thing and it steers like a boat, the suspension clatters and bangs and it bounces over jumps in a happy, jaunty sort of way.  It's certainly not as composed as the TXT.  You can get immediate handling improvements with a servo-on-axle steering upgrade (but try it stock first, some people love it), after that there are oil shocks, chassis extensions, race chassis, and all manner of wonderful things you can buy.  Or if you're handy with a hacksaw and a drill, you can make your own hop-ups.  Probably the only things you really need out of the box are steel pinions and a metal anti-rotation bracket (the stock plastic one breaks easily).

Plus, the Clod is still a current in-production model, so you can order one online today :) 

• Thanks 1

I'll be the one to say it - neither.  If you're looking for a solid axle monster truck get an LMT.  I have multiple Clods, TXTs, SMTs, and LMTs and if I had to choose today I'd let the others go without a thought.  It's honestly not even close.  

If you're intent on sticking to Tamiya I agree with the others.  TXTs are much better than Clods, but parts are hard to find.  Clods are fine if you have low expectations, but they are generally awful to run.  Adding more power to make them exciting doesn't help much, you'll just end up breaking parts if you're jumping it. 

I have been obsessed with RC monsters for years and have done everything imaginable with Clods & TXTs and still love them both for what they are (actually starting another TXT-2 project soon that I just purchased from a TC member), but if you're starting fresh I wouldn't even bother.  Just my opinion.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Give the scarcity of parts, and from the sounds of it you want to give it a good hammering, I would say the Clod. If cheap spares (Well any spares) were available for the TXT then I would say get a TXT all day long, I have 2 and think they're great, it's relatively easy to fit 1/8 brushless in them, but the axle guard plastic are prone to snapping when you get a hard landing, from even small jumps. Land on one front wheel and it's bye bye axle guard mount on one side. 

The wheels are sort of interchangeable, but you need to change the stub axles and drive hubs, as the drive lugs are different sizes on the inside of the wheels, and the drive hubs are different thicknesses (Hence the need for the longer stub axles)

I've got TXT wheels and the longer axles fitted on my clod buster, it drives a lot better for the extra width, and tires don't rub on the axle guards.

Thank you.

Out of the 2 I have alway preferred the TXT but what you say for spares and upgrades I think it will have to be the Clod.

I think it will get a bashing living in Cumbria as nothing is flat or smooth 🤣.

I didn't want to buy something and not be able to buy spares or upgrade bit and then not be able to use it.

10 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I'd agree with @MadInventor on this, and for the same reasons.  The TXT is a great kit - it's a much more involving build than the Clod and a very visually imposing truck, but spares aren't easy to find and if you're jumping it hard you're going to risk axle parts.  That said, mine is around 15 years old and has never broken a single thing.  It spent a lot of that time in a box, but it spent some time on 14.4v as well and now runs on 3S LiPo.  The stock truck is softly-sprung and the sway bars are completely inadequate, and the axle guards / link mounts / servo mounts are a clumsy design, IMO - but there's not a lot of aftermarket parts to improve, so it's not an easy truck to upgrade unless you like fabricating parts.

The Clod, OTOH, is a rugged truck to start with and a modders dream, with so many directions you can take the build and so many aftermarket parts available.  Out of the box it's a clumsy thing and it steers like a boat, the suspension clatters and bangs and it bounces over jumps in a happy, jaunty sort of way.  It's certainly not as composed as the TXT.  You can get immediate handling improvements with a servo-on-axle steering upgrade (but try it stock first, some people love it), after that there are oil shocks, chassis extensions, race chassis, and all manner of wonderful things you can buy.  Or if you're handy with a hacksaw and a drill, you can make your own hop-ups.  Probably the only things you really need out of the box are steel pinions and a metal anti-rotation bracket (the stock plastic one breaks easily).

Plus, the Clod is still a current in-production model, so you can order one online today :) 

Thank you @Mad Ax the TXT does remind me of Monster Jam , it sounds like the TXT needs a few mods to make it, for me fabrication is a no no, it would be getting someone else to do that.

With the advice from yourself and @MadInventor I think it will have to be the Clod.

Looking at the Clod it is definitely a modders dream.

Do I buy used something that has been upgraded or stock  or new and have a play and then start upgrading parts.

After the servo over axle are there any other parts/upgrades you can recommend please.

I might have to buy myself a TXT at a later date as a self queen.

@87lc2 makes a valid point, the LMT is way ahead of the Clod or the TXT, I finally got mine running last month and it's epic in comparison to the Clod or TXT, but then again it's not a Tamiya, so if that's what you want, go for it.  I'm not sure you can ever really regret buying a Clod Buster.

If you're going with a Clod, build it stock first and run it.  Those metal anti-rotation brackets, full bearings and steel pinions are all you need when building, along with a good strong servo.  I used DS3218 Pro servos in all my big trucks now, they're rugged, powerful and cheap.  I also run a Hobbywing 880 ESC, which is a good starting point if you're using LiPo batteries, and it'll happily run 3S if you want more power later.

After that - the world is your oyster.  There's so many directions you can go - a high clearance monster with a vintage-style pressed chassis, or a low-slung racer, or stick with the stock chassis and add a 4-link kit.  If you jump hard or high you'll probably break axles, there are braces and tougher parts, there's far more stuff than can be listed - have a search here or online for "mod clod" and see what takes your fancy.  But drive it stock first, it's an experience :) 

• Like 1

I have to agree with Mad Ax.  Build a Clod stock with a decent servo, bearings, metal anti-rotation brackets, steel pinions.  They are surprisingly fun stock, bouncing and crashing around.  Then decide which direction to go when you start really upgrading.

• Like 1

It really depends on what you're going to do with it an what you expect performance-wise.  The Clod does have a certain "charm" if you had one back in the day, but now they just seem like toys.  To make it not feel like a toy you'll spend way more than you would on a much better truck getting it up to par.  

I changed my mind - If you want to stick with Tamiya go with a TXT, I prefer the TXT-2.  Yes, parts are harder to come by but they are pretty durable in stock form and even when adding some power.  I've ran some big power through one of my TXT-2s and it held up just fine.  The TXT-2 also behaves a lot better than the TXT-1 out of the box.  While the cantilevers are cool, you need a serious sway bar setup to get rid of the chassis twist.  

I think the Clod thing has run its course with me.  I took one of my stock Clods out for a run in the yard a couple weeks back and that lasted about 5 minutes, they're just terrible.  Sure, you can dump a ton of money into it and upgrade it, but why?  Its still a motor on axle truck that doesn't come close to resembling a real truck.  At least the TXT is shaft driven with absolutely gorgeous axle housings.  The TXT still has by far the best looking axles of any solid axle truck built to date, I just love them.  Shame they hid them behind those awful bumpers, but that's easily fixed with BTA steering setups.  

• Like 1

I think I’d echo the general sentiment of everyone here, the Clod is easier to source parts for and has a charm and endless possibilities for modding but my Kyosho USA-1 has wrecked my interest in both for now as it’s jus plain nuts and is likely still not as good as an LMT. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ad456 said:

I think I’d echo the general sentiment of everyone here, the Clod is easier to source parts for and has a charm and endless possibilities for modding but my Kyosho USA-1 has wrecked my interest in both for now as it’s jus plain nuts and is likely still not as good as an LMT. 

The Kyosho is a great truck.  I have an older Mad Force and its a really fun drive, very well built also.  For all out fun it might be better than the LMT and can probably take more abuse, but for the scale MT experience the LMT is king at the moment.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

The Kyosho is a great truck.  I have an older Mad Force and its a really fun drive, very well built also.  For all out fun it might be better than the LMT and can probably take more abuse, but for the scale MT experience the LMT is king at the moment.  

Yeah, not really scale like you say but bags of fun if you aren’t bothered by that. Mines now wearing a FO-XX body to see if that will hold up to the “over-excited stupidity mode” it puts me in:D

• Haha 1

@87lc2 and @Mad Ax thank you for advice.

I am very much Tamiya I have had the odd other make over the years but it's Tamiya for me.  Just had a look at the LMT Grave Digger I could be swayed at some point.

I think part of it is watching Monster Jam, still amazed at what they can do with those trucks.

@87lc2 you mention about,  "the cantilevers are cool, you need a serious sway bar setup to get rid of the chassis twist"

Is that with the TXT-1?

Are the wheels interchangeable between the TXT and the Clod or do you need different adapters? IE if you broke a TXT wheel could you put a set of Clod wheels on the TXT.

5 minutes ago, Wintery said:

@87lc2 and @Mad Ax thank you for advice.

I am very much Tamiya I have had the odd other make over the years but it's Tamiya for me.  Just had a look at the LMT Grave Digger I could be swayed at some point.

I think part of it is watching Monster Jam, still amazed at what they can do with those trucks.

@87lc2 you mention about,  "the cantilevers are cool, you need a serious sway bar setup to get rid of the chassis twist"

Is that with the TXT-1?

Are the wheels interchangeable between the TXT and the Clod or do you need different adapters? IE if you broke a TXT wheel could you put a set of Clod wheels on the TXT.

Yes, the TXT-1 has the cantilever setup.  Very cool, but truck doesn't work very well.  The TXT-2 with the traditional shock setup is a better truck in my opinion.  Also probably easier to source a TXT-2 these days, the TXT-1 is getting scarce.  

Wheels are not directly interchancheable between the TXT/Clod.  To put Clod wheels on a TXT you need 2 things; 1) Clod stub axles 2) Clod wheel adapters.  Both are cheap and readily available so no big deal.  

I get staying with Tamiya, no shame in that.  All I had was Tamiya for years and certainly appreciate what they did for RC monsters for a very long time.  It wasn't until recently that other options were even available.  Very typical Tamiya, they start a trend before its even a thing (ie crawlers), other manufacturers make way better vehicles years later, and Tamiya never bothers to catch up.  Guess its just part of what makes Tamiya so interesting.  

• Thanks 1

It's a shame Tamiya don't continue with the trend they started and push it forward.

• Like 1

@Mad Ax the DS3218 is that one on each axle?

Thank you I will have a look at those.

What is the lowest kg servo would you use?

I do have a few etronix et2070

If you're sticking with a stock setup, you only need one servo that sits in the middle of the chassis.  It's not a great setup but it's what you need if you're going stock.  I don't have an ET2070, but the specs look good - 21Kg should be enough, as long as it's robust enough to take the knocks from those big wheels.

If you want to move to a (better-performing) BTA setup later, you'll need one servo per axle.

The DS3218 Pro are a very good price.  

I am not sure how the et2070 will hold up in a clod, it might be easier to go with the DS3218 Pro as they have been tried and tested.

I built a black clod during the lock down mostly stock, i hated it especially since i had txt 2. I would only say get a LMT LOL there is no comparison. 

• Like 1

I picked up a Clod yesterday. Had a bit of a road trip to get it an original with the Chevrolet badges.

IMG_20220727_090029686.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wintery said:

Is that because the TXT is just so much more superior?

Yes, the TXT is much superior.  And the LMT is so superior to the TXT that he sold me the TXT :)   

So how do you like the Clod? 

• Haha 1

@Wintery we need more pics but that looks very clean for an original - is that an original unpainted body or a new one fitted with the old Chevy parts?

Are you going to strip and rebuild, or just throw some electrics in and go drive?  Either way, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun working out what direction to take it in :)

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

Yes, the TXT is much superior.  And the LMT is so superior to the TXT that he sold me the TXT :)   

So how do you like the Clod? 

Ah I see.

I will  have to put one on my list at some point.

I haven't driven it yet.

Just started to dismantle it to give it a clean.

40 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

@Wintery we need more pics but that looks very clean for an original - is that an original unpainted body or a new one fitted with the old Chevy parts?

Are you going to strip and rebuild, or just throw some electrics in and go drive?  Either way, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun working out what direction to take it in :)

I tried to up load another picture but it TC wouldn't let me due to size limit.

Need to find a picture upload website.

The body is in painted, it's got the copyright 1987 printed in side.

I will see if I can upload some more images or links to a website