Saito2

threadlock question and are Tamiyas British?

Every time I take out my MGB, I make sure to pack my tool kit. I'm beginning to think Tamiyas are the same same way...:unsure:. Ok, car jokes aside, I took my Bruiser to the park today and the rear driveshaft promptly slid off the transmission outdrive despite the use of Tamiya red threadlocker gel. My question is, is Loctite brand Blue threadlock stronger than Tamiya's red gel? Here in the US, red Loctite brand threadlocker is for things you don't intend to really disassemble (read: strong) and blue is for things you may need to get apart in the future. All I know about Tamiya threadlocker is the red gel is kinda stinky and taste bad (don't ask) and their blue liquid threadlocker is for sniffing and getting high on nostalgia like tires (also, don't ask). So have people found blue Loctite any better than Tamiya red gel?

• Haha 5

I don't know about the red gel but the blue ones are rather strong. I actually rounded a 1.5mm allen key trying to remove the grab screw on a pinion. 

• Like 1

Just keep the loctite far away from the plastics.  I have used button head screws that are 1 or 2mm longer than the set screw on problem driveshafts.  The bigger hex size allows you torque it down tighter. 

• Like 2

I generally use the blue loctitie and have used the Tamiya gel on a couple of kits that it came with. The gel is easier to use, but the blue loctite is stronger from what i can tell. Not so strong that its hard to get the screw out, but they certainly don't go anywhere when you use it.

In saying that I use loctite on race kits with hex heads which may make a difference too

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Every time I take out my MGB, I make sure to pack my tool kit.

mine has a built in toolbox on scuttle under the bonnet, that’s how Abington made them :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can’t say for sure as my driving is quite mild, but I have been using Loctite blue in the chapstick-like glue stick dispenser (wax?) and it appears to be working fine.  

In other news, I found red HPI threadlock is super strong like Loctite red..

• Like 2

In my experience, threadlock is the the weaker when compared to studlock which is the real strong stuff that's designed not to be undone without out heat to melt it. There are a few different grades of locking fluid though, I think the blue is the middle weight stuff, so I reckon it'll be spot on for your needs.

The trick is to only apply a small amount and either rotate the screw or the whole assembly a little to allow it to flow around the threads before popping on the nuts.

• Like 1

I have used all three.  For 1/8 nitro off road, we used loctite red on all important metal to metal... especially the motor mounts.  Using good hex or torx screws and drivers was a must with red, and I definitely stripped screws, bolts etc in my earlier 1/8 years.

I agree that Tamiya gel seems a bit weak for any rugged/high vibration running.  For my classic cars and re re's I tend to use it (trying to keep it as much original/tamiya only), and those I only run very lightly just for nostalgia.  For my newer/hopped up buggies that I do like to thrash around more with, I will use blue instead, but only a slight dab.

In late 1980s, before I had even heard of loctite, I kept losing flange nuts off the suspension connections on my Terra Scorcher... so simply fix was red nail polish! :D 

• Like 1

Tamiyas red Anaerobic gel isn't meant to set, so is easy to undo. IMO in terms of difficulty to undo: Anaerobic gel, < blue threadlock, < red threadlock.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, Saito2 said:

All I know about Tamiya threadlocker is the red gel is kinda stinky and taste bad (don't ask) and their blue liquid threadlocker is for sniffing and getting high on nostalgia like tires (also, don't ask). So have people found blue Loctite any better than Tamiya red gel?

All the colors taste bad... :lol:

On 7/24/2022 at 8:39 PM, berman said:

Tamiyas red Anaerobic gel isn't meant to set, so is easy to undo. IMO in terms of difficulty to undo: Anaerobic gel, < blue threadlock, < red threadlock.

^^^ THIS.

I use the Tamiya stuff for cars I don't run/run much.  Blue is my go to for runners.  Red is dangerous stuff, as it requires (significant) heat to release.  I generally won't use it on 3mm or smaller hardware.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

True, but at least Tamiya Blue smells good...mmm just like cracking open my old nib FAV bitd. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bRIBEGuy said:

^^^ THIS.

I use the Tamiya stuff for cars I don't run/run much.  Blue is my go to for runners.  Red is dangerous stuff, as it requires (significant) heat to release.  I generally won't use it on 3mm or smaller hardware.

😄 you ran out of sauce/ketchup in your house didn't you?

Yeah I am the same. I still have a new tube of the blue stuff somewhere, and I prefer that to the Anaerobic, but if the Anaerobic is in the kit and I CBF trying to find the blue, I'll use it, it's better than losing a screw I guess. 🚀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My experience, Tamiya blue is softer/removable and Tamiya red GEL is a harder to remove (strip heads). I use the blue in the tube not red in "quarter" size container. It will hold and comes back apart, no issues.

Loctight blue is stronger than Tamiya blue. 

All should be kept away from plastic pieces as much as possible, as it will damage it.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:30 AM, Saito2 said:

and their blue liquid threadlocker is for sniffing and getting high on nostalgia like tires (also, don't ask).

I may have done that, on occasion. Tamiya blue liquid thread lock is the good stuff.

On 7/23/2022 at 3:30 AM, Saito2 said:

Every time I take out my MGB, I make sure to pack my tool kit. I'm beginning to think Tamiyas are the same same way...:unsure:. Ok, car jokes aside, I took my Bruiser to the park today and the rear driveshaft promptly slid off the transmission outdrive despite the use of Tamiya red threadlocker gel. My question is, is Loctite brand Blue threadlock stronger than Tamiya's red gel? Here in the US, red Loctite brand threadlocker is for things you don't intend to really disassemble (read: strong) and blue is for things you may need to get apart in the future. All I know about Tamiya threadlocker is the red gel is kinda stinky and taste bad (don't ask) and their blue liquid threadlocker is for sniffing and getting high on nostalgia like tires (also, don't ask). So have people found blue Loctite any better than Tamiya red gel?

When I recently bought some Tamiya gel from Japan it came with some sort of printed notice from Tamiya warning that it was a hazardous substance.  Seemed to be a government mandated notice, but was all in Japanese, so I am not sure which gel (or grease) it applied to, as I ordered a bunch of things at the time.  

Just as a disclaimer, while I have noticed the difference in odor between Tamiya red and blue threadlockers, I've never actively smelled them or "huffed" them intentionally nor do I condone it. It was a joke. Many of the substances found in Tamiya kits can be hazardous if handled/used improperly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Knighte said:

When I recently bought some Tamiya gel from Japan it came with some sort of printed notice from Tamiya warning that it was a hazardous substance.  Seemed to be a government mandated notice, but was all in Japanese, so I am not sure which gel (or grease) it applied to, as I ordered a bunch of things at the time.  

There was a "crisis" caused by the lack of these warning in the UK back in 2007. They don't meet with some EU requirements it seems. Almost all Tamiya chemical products were removed from the shelves  making it impossible to buy most Tamiya paints, jar or spray. When they returned, the cans and jars are plastered with all kind of warnings that no one read anyway. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Just as a disclaimer, while I have noticed the difference in odor between Tamiya red and blue threadlockers, I've never actively smelled them or "huffed" them intentionally nor do I condone it. It was a joke. Many of the substances found in Tamiya kits can be hazardous if handled/used improperly.

I agree.. but I sniff everything so you're safe.   If I die it's due to my own stupidity.  :lol:   

• Like 2

I actually really like the smell of Tamiya acrylic and polycarbonate paints… as with Saito2, I do not huff etc, and I do work in a well ventilated hobby room… but the paints have a nice kind of sweet odour… probably nostalgia from my childhood, as my wife gets upset if she can smell the paint fumes.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:38 AM, Knighte said:

my wife gets upset if she can smell the paint fumes.

This is heard quite commonly here. Luckily for me, my wife don't even care if my airbrush compressor (89db) runs in the same room as her, she will just sleep through it. What stopped me from spraying indoors are the kids (the fumes are more harmful for young lungs) and the "permanent" dust (actually microscopic paint) that will settle on everything in the house and impossible to remove. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1