RC Perspective

Do any 1/10 Hobbywing ESC's come with at least 10AWG power wires?

13 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Deans is only 20A? I am asking because that is what I use and when I was doing research picking my connectors, this page says they are 50A.

https://www.mrpositive.co.nz/buying/knowledge-base/know-your-connector/

Also, XT60 only up to 35A continuous? Again asking as I am considering switching over to them as my chargers are XT60s and this page says they are 60A continuous, 180A peak. 

https://www.servocity.com/xt60-connector-pack-mh-fc-x-5-fh-mc-x-5/

This is confusing, research seem to throw up different values, who to believe? 

Deans Ultra Plug is commonly rated to 60A continuous.  There are many knock offs that will not handle that power, and may people running genuine plugs at much over that power.

XT60 is commonly rated to 60 amps continuous as well (hence the 60 in the naming convention... XT30 = 30A, XT60 = 60A, XT90 = 90A).

Some more good generalized information can be found here:

https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-battery-connector.html

https://blog.ampow.com/rc-battery-connector-types/

Now, as noted, this information is generalized as many products on the market are unbranded, and many manufactures are not listing actual ratings.  Plus, it is typically the rating of the plug itself people as fussing over, which may not tell the whole tale... soldering technique, wire gauge, etc will all factor in to what is actually a safe and efficient setup.  Most failures I see are a result of bad soldering, and/or cheap knock-off plugs.

For most 1:10 applications, a Deans or XT60 plug is fine. 

For your charger, you can always buy or build a bunch of adapters as well, for charging different packs.  My charger has a Deans Ultra Plug on it, but I have adapters for Tamiya, XT60, XT90, JST, CC6.5, and a few others.  You will never be charging at a high enough power rate for the connector type to matter much.

6 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Some more good generalized information can be found here:

https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-battery-connector.html

https://blog.ampow.com/rc-battery-connector-types/

Now, as noted, this information is generalized as many products on the market are unbranded, and many manufactures are not listing actual ratings.  Plus, it is typically the rating of the plug itself people as fussing over, which may not tell the whole tale... soldering technique, wire gauge, etc will all factor in to what is actually a safe and efficient setup.  Most failures I see are a result of bad soldering, and/or cheap knock-off plugs.

For most 1:10 applications, a Deans or XT60 plug is fine. 

For your charger, you can always buy or build a bunch of adapters as well, for charging different packs.  My charger has a Deans Ultra Plug on it, but I have adapters for Tamiya, XT60, XT90, JST, CC6.5, and a few others.  You will never be charging at a high enough power rate for the connector type to matter much.

Yes those are the website I looked at in the past. Now there a new website is provided that gives a far lower number than any other websites, who to believe? 🤷I do understand those are the plugs, soldering skills varies too much to put to a number. 

I already have a few XT60 - Deans adaptor, just considering a change to remove a "fussyness" in charging, just plug in and charge. I already use XT30s on my smaller <2Ah packs and they are a little less fussy to charge as the charger also has that connection. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:51 AM, alvinlwh said:

Deans is only 20A? I am asking because that is what I use and when I was doing research picking my connectors, this page says they are 50A.

Depends where you look I think.

Similar ,I've found, with hobbywings 1060 ,some of the rebranded ones have different specs but the same esc! Can only presume, they're more cautious about returns. (Also ran a 1060 above spec limits, and it's been fine)

I use deans in my tamiyas (and 4 / 5mm in race cars), and defo put more than 20amp through a deans ( 5s -(21V) 5700kv for speed runs).

The specs I've seen, put the deans and the XT60 at 60amp, which from personal experience, have no reason to argue with.

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

I use deans in my tamiyas (and 4 / 5mm in race cars), and defo put more than 20amp through a deans ( 5s -(21V) 5700kv for speed runs).

Now that you mentioned it, I am wondering if I should not use Deans with the 8000kv that I have.

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Now that you mentioned it, I am wondering if I should not use Deans with the 8000kv that I have.

Thats around a 5.5t motor, so somewhere in the region of 80amp max draw (guessing stalled, so you won't pull quite that imo)

My 6.5t motor can seemingly pull 60amp, but averages around 30amp (going off the 6min run time of a 4000mah) 

49 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Thats around a 5.5t motor, so somewhere in the region of 80amp max draw (guessing stalled, so you won't pull quite that imo)

Close, 4.5T and according to the spec sheet, 72A.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Close, 4.5T and according to the spec sheet, 72A.

My 4.5t is a 9100kv acording to the blurb, and 100amp (spec 67340rpm @ 7.4, ran 63886 rpm on my esc data log, so 9100kv probably right for running in blinky and zero load) ,different makes will have different values.