Sign in to follow this  
RichieRich

Kyosho Ultima with Upgrades

With the re-release of the Kyosho Ultima, I thought it might be a good idea to "finish" an Ultima I started back in 2010. Once I restored my Turbo Ultima, I wanted to build an Ultima with some of the Ultima hop-ups I had acquired. The original version of this build looked like the first pic below. It's a Duratrax Ultima XL chassis, A&L lethal weapon transmission and carbon fiber shock towers. Everything else is a Kyosho part aside from the Andy's long front A arms. I used some RB5 parts to get modern 2.2 wheels/tires all around. This caused some massive steering issues that required geometry corrections. Bottom line is that I did not like the way it came out.

After I found out that JC Racing made Ultima wheels that fit the original and can use modern tires, I ordered a set. This required getting the re-re parts I needed...front kingpins and axles as well as some ball ends. I had to remove all the RB5 parts and rpm ballends and put back original Ultima parts. The result is below. I would say this is almost where I want it. The last bit is probably adding a correct Ultima motor guard.

img18_09052010014558_1.jpg.71e774b2d97cb8e75247470d9d4ebbca.jpgupdated.thumb.jpg.b58c39bcafade30675a456aa96fcd7ea.jpg

• Like 7

Everytime I see an ultima it makes me want to get one to build. I am holding out for a turbo or pro hopefully soon. 

11 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Everytime I see an ultima it makes me want to get one to build. I am holding out for a turbo or pro hopefully soon. 

I too was holding out for a Turbo Ultima kit. But after Kyosho put out the video with Joel Johnson recreating his Turbo Ultima with a parts list of hop ups used, I realized they did this so anyone can make their own Turbo Ultima using new hop ups.

• Like 1

I don't think there's much original Ultima in this build other than the hardware, rear bulkhead, rear suspension arms. and front/rear axle carriers. I used a re-re front bulkhead because Kyosho added more material at the screw holes. The originals cracked all the time. The steering is from a Kyosho Lazer. I also removed the old press fit hex drives and used newer Kyosho axles with the pins. I'm going to make some adjustments to the body decals.

• Like 1