I’m building my first Tamiya, a Super Avante. I didn’t realize how much trouble my arthritic hands would pose but have managed until now. I am trying to mount the tires to the rims but just can’t get it done with the pain in my hands. Is there some trick to this that will make it easier for me?

I have on occasion used a very small set of pliers, hold the rim in my left hand, pull the tyre over the rim lip with the pliers with the other hand, you just need to be careful that you don’t perforate the tyre

Thanks I will give that a try. I also saw a video for mounting hard drift tires where they froze the wheels and placed the tires in boiling water. They were able the just push the wheel into the tire with no effort. Anyone try that method?

When trying to fit 25 year old oval blocks on and off rims, I used to use a small (3-4mm head) flat bladed screw driver to lever them on. Just got to be careful not to stab the tire. 

5 minutes ago, epetrillo said:

Thanks I will give that a try. I also saw a video for mounting hard drift tires where they froze the wheels and placed the tires in boiling water. They were able the just push the wheel into the tire with no effort. Anyone try that method?

Re the above, never tried it but I'd be worried about the plastic becoming brittle, or the tires going soft or losing their colour. But like I said, never tried it so it could well be fine.

Put the wheels in at 90 degrees to the tyre and then rotate. It will make it easier, but it can still be difficult if the tyres are a hard compound or tight fit.

50 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Get someone else to help you with it? 

Anyone here in Southern California?

36 minutes ago, epetrillo said:

Anyone here in Southern California?

Friends, family, neighbour I mean. Or maybe even the local RC club or store? Just throwing some suggestions out. 

3 hours ago, sosidge said:

Put the wheels in at 90 degrees to the tyre and then rotate. It will make it easier, but it can still be difficult if the tyres are a hard compound or tight fit.

I feel OP’s pain.

this is what I did.  So much easier.

7 hours ago, epetrillo said:

Is there some trick to this that will make it easier for me?

Eagle eyed onlookers sometimes query why I keep 1-2 teaspoons in toolbox. Handy levers for bike tyres, RC tyres... :) 

• Like 2

It also helps to warm up the tire to soften it up.  

As others mentioned, I sometimes use flat jaw pliers to pull the sidewall over the ridges on the wheel especially after painting the wheels to prevent install marks.  

GL! 

On 7/25/2022 at 12:34 PM, WillyChang said:

Eagle eyed onlookers sometimes query why I keep 1-2 teaspoons in toolbox. Handy levers for bike tyres, RC tyres... :) 

Glad it’s not just me. My wife tried to reclaim some she saw in my toolbox recently 😉