Gabranth

Gearing Question

On 1/9/2023 at 12:52 AM, Chang said:

Does the recommended gear ratio stated in the manual takes into consideration internal ratio?

There is no "recommended gear ratio" in the build manual, just worked out results to save on messy maths. The numbers take into account wheel sizes. The recommendation comes on some motor, however it depends on what the motor is meant for.

For example, on a T/RZ, the numbers are for touring cars whereas in a BZ, is for a buggy. These three motors are almost exactly the same yet their listed GR numbers will be different to take into the wheel sizes.

Hi all;

i bumped into these vids. looks like a different gear ratio made all the difference. on the same motors, even silver can, going from 68T/22T spur/pinion to a 64T/29T gave the car almost 2x speed...

here's an even better one:

maybe I should look at gearing a little deeper....

question: can I by a 64T spur and use the same 19T pinion I use on my regular motor? if the spur diameter different? (i have an adjustable motor mount I assume it will help use different spur and pinion diameters?)

22 hours ago, gkatz said:

even silver can, going from 68T/22T spur/pinion to a 64T/29T gave the car almost 2x speed..

Absolutely right. For example, on my TA-02 (Google the gear chart for it), the recommended GR for the silver can is far higher than what is provided in the kit. So high in fact that the hopup speed gear set is needed. 6.7 vs 10.02 stock, quite a big change. However that number is for road running on stock wheels, and I run off road on rally blocks (bigger wheels) so my motor should get hotter and to control that, I use a heatsink.

21 hours ago, gkatz said:

question: can I by a 64T spur and use the same 19T pinion I use on my regular motor? if the spur diameter different? (i have an adjustable motor mount I assume it will help use different spur and pinion diameters?)

No, it will not work unless you have the adjustable mount and even that, it will only work to an extent. As one gear gets smaller, the other have to go bigger to keep the same distance between the axles of the two different gear. There are apps/calculators out there to work out the difference, if you can be bothered.

For example, I tried to mount a 60T spur with a 50T pinion (insane) and while that is possible with some chassis, doing the same with a 85T spur instead will be most likely impossible.

• Like 1