Sign in to follow this  
burakol

801xt e-conversion

I dont know what Im doing but I did it anyway… 

I got myself a TRF801xt that will be converted into an electric setup. I have zero clue or experience with the kit, not have any idea of its capabilities. All I know is I wanted to own something TRF and I thought for the price I got it for, could be a good starting point. 

Anyhow, to make it a runner, I would obviously need an ESC and a motor. Due to it being a 1/8 scale, Im not sure if what I currently have in my parts bin will work. All my spare motors are 540 sized cans. My lowest brushed is a 16t motor, and the a 13.5t sensored brushless. As far as esc, I have a few HW1060s and a few TBLE02s. Battery wise, I only have 2s lipos. Most of these are for future 1/10 kit builds and I am not sure if any of it will be adequate to move the car unless someone can validate it.

While I do anticipate that I will need a new esc/motor, i have no clue which one to get. My primary consideration is budget and I want to spend less as much as possible. I would also prefer not to get a higher cell battery than what I currently have… 

Suggestions and recommendations please… thanks!!! 

5 hours ago, Sir Crashalot said:

COMBO-MAX8-4274_2048x.thumb.jpg.af7fb47d9dff3ae049bf7ae7f4bb544b.jpg

Good one… but this one breaks the bank… any other options? 

1/8th electric is expensive. The Hobbywing is good value, the only things cheaper are no-name Chinese components that aren't worth the hassle.

Bear in mind you will also need at least a 4s lipo battery as well.

43 minutes ago, sosidge said:

1/8th electric is expensive. The Hobbywing is good value, the only things cheaper are no-name Chinese components that aren't worth the hassle.

I do have a bunch of 2s that i can wire together, of find an esc that has two battery inputs. Will the cost be comparable if I go either brushed or brushless? 
Will a Traxxas Titan motor suffice? Not really trying to beat top speed records, but I just want it enough to get decent air time

21 minutes ago, burakol said:

I do have a bunch of 2s that i can wire together, of find an esc that has two battery inputs. Will the cost be comparable if I go either brushed or brushless? 
Will a Traxxas Titan motor suffice? Not really trying to beat top speed records, but I just want it enough to get decent air time

You want air as well?

Single 550 will barely move a 1/8th truggy. When Traxxas first did electric versions of their larger vehicles (E-Maxx) they used two 550s - and it still wasn't fast.

Brushless power and reliability at higher voltages is at a completely different level to brushed. There's a reason why the popular 1/8th bashers like the Arrma Kraton use electrics equivalent to the Hobbywing with 4s to 6s batteries - it takes a lot of power to get a 4kg+ truck with big wheels moving, let alone airborne.

6 hours ago, burakol said:

Good one… but this one breaks the bank… any other options? 

If the Hobbywing setup is too expensive, I'd suggest either looking used, or start saving/selling.  Sorry it sounds harsh but.....

2 hours ago, sosidge said:

^^^ That.

Moving up a scale tends to add big amounts of $$$ to what is required to get/keep running.  The Hobbywing setup is not even what I would call high end electronics... it's just good value for a basic setup.

The 4274 is a monster of a motor.  I have one in a mainly custom 1/8 Savage XL based truck, and it will wheelie at partial throttle with a 4S 5400mah 50C LiPo, and threaten to destroy the truck at any throttle input higher than that.  :lol:

1 hour ago, burakol said:

You can run 2x 2S packs, if they are exactly the same packs.  You cannot mix different packs, packs with different MAH/C-ratings/etc.

A Titan 550 will not be NEARLY enough power for a 1/8 truggy.

I have an older Faigo 7XL 2370kv motor I could sell you cheap that would work well, but I have no ide where you are or what postage would be (I'm in Canada).  You would still need an ESC though... and that again likely takes you back to a Hobbywing Max 8/CC Mamba Monster/etc...

The 801 sounds like a RAD truggy... I'd love to have a setup like that.  But if it's just a roller, you're gonna be into it a pretty penny to get it setup well.

40 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

You can run 2x 2S packs, if they are exactly the same packs.  You cannot mix different packs, packs with different MAH/C-ratings/etc.

Not only that, they should be of the same age and use as well. In the vape world, some dual batteries mods will detect cells that are not the same and refuse to work. The only way to ensure perfect balance that will work is to use new cells. 

3 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

In the vape world, some dual batteries mods will detect cells that are not the same and refuse to work. 

The RC world is similar... except that "refuse to work" is replaced with "start a fire".  :lol:

6 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

The RC world is similar... except that "refuse to work" is replaced with "start a fire".  :lol:

I had blown up a 1S 800mah vape device before and the result was not pretty. Makes me more careful around RC batteries now. 

13 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Not only that, they should be of the same age and use as well. In the vape world, some dual batteries mods will detect cells that are not the same and refuse to work. The only way to ensure perfect balance that will work is to use new cells. 

All my 2s lipos were bought at the same time and has been used sparingly and always been placed into storage charge whnen not in use so I am confident in its condition…

57 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

I have an older Faigo 7XL 2370kv motor I could sell you cheap that would work well, but I have no ide where you are or what postage would be (I'm in Canada).  You would still need an ESC though... and that again likely takes you back to a Hobbywing Max 8/CC Mamba Monster/etc...

The 801 sounds like a RAD truggy... I'd love to have a setup like that.  But if it's just a roller, you're gonna be into it a pretty penny to get it setup well.

Im on the Eastern seaboard of the US so it may be possible… I paid $180 for it. Although a roller, i think it is priced just right. 

21 minutes ago, burakol said:

All my 2s lipos were bought at the same time and has been used sparingly and always been placed into storage charge whnen not in use so I am confident in its condition…

I am no expert on this, just pointing out what I had seen in other application of Li batteries.

Your 2S also need to be internally balanced. So when you attached 2 x 2S together, all 4 cells need (or should) be balanced. You mention they are used sparingly, but are they used evenly? 

Not saying that it will be a problem, perhaps someone who knows better can jump in. Just highlighting a possible issue so that you can be aware. Like I said, I had blown up a small lipo before and am now more careful with RC lipos which can make a far bigger bang. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely keep this in mind. Fwiw, i might just end up Getting a 4s pack when the need arise. Cost of batteries are now within reason nowadays.

@burakol hard to say about that motor since it really depends on the size. If its advertised for 8th scale cars then it should be fine.

Hobbywing is very popular for a reason, its great gear. I have HW in my sons E817, but I bought it secondhand so don't know what the new cost was. It may be cheaper to find a secondhand RTR car though as you'll get everything you need and spares?

Have you checked Hobbyking? Trackstar gear is generally good bang for buck, and while it may not last as long as other brands that probably doesn't matter for a car that isn't run that often?

Otherwise check Banggood, they'll have an 8th scale combo cheap. Brands like Surpass are great. While sensored is better as far as response goes, that doesn't matter much for flat out running in a field. They are also usually waterproof 

I was able to source the esc/motor I will be using. I managed to get a used Trinity D8.5 2000kv motor. The can size is 4272, and should fit with plenty of room in the truggy. As for the esc, I was able to get a used HW Xerun XR8 Plus 150amp. Granted these are used, my pocket is starting to hurt… what more if I was buying new stuff? If I can get this to be a runner for less than $450, I’d be very pleased…