lukej

TB Evo 8

Saw a post over of Facebook from Kentech announcing the TB Evo8. Assuming details are thin on the ground right now but what do we know so far?

Luke

938B377F-6FAC-4CBE-B082-87B93C216716.png

F278B646-B6B4-4F90-B17C-1A57BE83CCE5.jpeg

• Like 3

Thats exciting. The TB Evo 7 didn't have a great following but I suspect thats because of the irreplaceable chassis. Hopefully Tamiya have some good ideas on shaft drive cars. The Express AT1 looks interesting, this could be better

• Like 1

Looks like they’ve taken notice of some complaints about the 7 with its spine, and there’s now an upper deck/spine to stiffen the car.

What do you guys notice about this vs past TB chassis?

Edit: Having seeing the Blautal post on Facebook, I’m getting ready for @wtcc5 to drop some insight here. Take it away Kevin!

Luke

Ääh… I just have seen the same video, but catched the scenes with screenshots.

I can just guess, but there is a suspicious hole at the rear, in front of the bulkhead. So maybe we get a classic TBevo motor position, too.

The radio plate is added as extra plate and looks floating on some angles.

The chassis stiffener has lots of flex adjustments (with screws). 

The steering seems to the same as before. I wonder why Tamiya turns the steering arms around, compared to the 420.

The rest seems pretty basic. I have wished for inserts on the upper bulkhead to adjust caster, but have seen nothing there. The rear body post mount is kind of hidden a bit. I wonder if we get horizontal posts maybe…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

Ääh… I just have seen the same video, but catched the scenes with screenshots.

I can just guess, but there is a suspicious hole at the rear, in front of the bulkhead. So maybe we get a classic TBevo motor position, too.

The radio plate is added as extra plate and looks floating on some angles.

The chassis stiffener has lots of flex adjustments (with screws). 

The steering seems to the same as before. I wonder why Tamiya turns the steering arms around, compared to the 420.

The rest seems pretty basic. I have wished for inserts on the upper bulkhead to adjust caster, but have seen nothing there. The rear body post mount is kind of hidden a bit. I wonder if we get horizontal posts maybe…

Was the BRCR post on Facebook your work?

Luke

I guess we will see the TB06 appear soon then as TB05 is getting a bit long in the tooth. My money would be in this having TA08 arms and suspension setup.

• Like 1

And The RC Racer’s take on the teaser video can be found here.

Luke

1 hour ago, lukej said:

Was the BRCR post on Facebook your work?

Luke

Yes, it was. But the pictures are just screenshots from the video plus my „two cents“.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Any guesses on pricing? :ph34r:

50,000 yen :rolleyes:

But in my honest opinion, I'd pick the new Xpress Arrow AT1 over the TB Evo8.

32 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

But in my honest opinion, I'd pick the new Xpress Arrow AT1 over the TB Evo8.

I’m sure you’d like the TB more than the AT1 if it had the optional slipper clutch 😉

• Haha 1

@WillyChang, looks more like a 125,000 to 150,000 yen kit to me...  Locally the TRF420x MSRPs for $1400 USD, or almost $1000 USD at retailers, or about $700 USD at retailers in HK.  Range of 186,000 (MSRP) to 93,000 (HK) yen.  I don't think the EVO 8 commands the same premium as the 420x, but still it's going to be pricey.  Looks really pretty and seems to have lots of adjustability.

1 minute ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@WillyChang, looks more like a 125,000 to 150,000 yen kit to me...  Locally the TRF420x MSRPs for $1400 USD, or almost $1000 USD at retailers, or about $700 USD at retailers in HK.  Range of 186,000 (MSRP) to 93,000 (HK) yen.  I don't think the EVO 8 commands the same premium as the 420x, but still it's going to be pricey.  Looks really pretty and seems to have lots of adjustability.

I think it’s a well thought out design and doesn’t seem to have any “out of this world” elements like it’s predecessor the Evo 7. It also gives us a preview into what the TRF421 will look like next year. 

I´m still not sure, if there´s any improvements in the EVO line since the Exotek 6 Version 2. It´s so light and less parts than Evo 7 and 8.:ph34r:

• Like 2

Looks cool - and has a few differences from the Evo 7 that should be interesting. The TA08 suspension gives me hope it could handle well (if the TA08 had a stiff chassis it would be the car to beat right now in the mid range I think).

I like the look of the split towers, and the active toe contol at the rear as well. Should have plenty of flex settings from the looks of those pics too.

Just out of curiosity I was wondering if any shaft-drive chassis has ever won the IFMAR Worlds.  I think @qatmix may have written this brief history (link here); the short answer is 'no.'

Is there a clear dividing line where belt cars dominate in some race classes, and shaft-drive cars dominate in other race classes?

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Just out of curiosity I was wondering if any shaft-drive chassis has ever won the IFMAR Worlds.  I think @qatmix may have written this brief history (link here); the short answer is 'no.'

Is there a clear dividing line where belt cars dominate in some race classes, and shaft-drive cars dominate in other race classes?

Awesomatix have put out some competive shaft drive cars, don't think they've won a world's though.

Shaft drive cars should be better in stock classes with lower powermotor limits as they should be more efficient - but with the motors and batteries we have these days the benefit must have diminished somewhat IMO. 

2 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Awesomatix have put out some competive shaft drive cars, don't think they've won a world's though.

Shaft drive cars should be better in stock classes with lower powermotor limits as they should be more efficient - but with the motors and batteries we have these days the benefit must have diminished somewhat IMO. 

Not IFMAR but the HPI Pro4 won ROAR in 2004 driven by Atsushi Hara and Donington Touring Car Cup in the same year driven by Andy Moore. Beat Xray, AE, Schumacher, Losi, Kyosho and Tamiya. I believe it had also won races in TITC in between 2004 - 2006. The car was very competitive during its era. 

8 hours ago, 94eg! said:

Torque steer bro. Torque steer.

Torquensteer is mostly solved with light BL rotors and floating drivetrain - unfortunately they didn't incorporate the floating drivetrain in the Evo8 design, so I doubt it'll be any more successful than its predecessor 

9 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Not IFMAR but the HPI Pro4 won ROAR in 2004 driven by Atsushi Hara and Donington Touring Car Cup in the same year driven by Andy Moore. Beat Xray, AE, Schumacher, Losi, Kyosho and Tamiya. I believe it had also won races in TITC in between 2004 - 2006. The car was very competitive during its era. 

And the Associated TC3 (released 1999?) had a long list of great results as well:

2000 US Indoor Championships – Billy Easton

2001 NORRCA On-Road Nationals – Tony Phalen

2001 Reedy European Touring Car Race of Champions – Craig Drescher

2002 BRCA 1/10 Touring Car Championship – Craig Drescher

2002 ROAR Paved On-Road Nationals – Barry Baker

2002 EFRA 1/10 ISTC Electric On-Road European Championship – Juho Levanen

2003 US Indoor Championships – Mike Blackstock

2003 Reedy Race of Asia – Barry Baker

2003 Reedy Touring Car Race of Champions – Barry Baker

2003 LRP Touring Car Masters – Juho Levanen

2003 Carpet Nationals – Mike Blackstock

2003 EFRA 1/10 ISTC Electric On-Road European Championship – Juho Levanen

2004 EFRA 1/10 ISTC Electric On-Road European Championship – Jonas Kaerup

TC4 had good success too, I think the later cars from TC5 onwards were all belt though with AE getting out of on road almost immediately after the release of the TC7.2

So will any of you buy one? I’m tempted to see what the latest shaft drive offering is like, if for no other reason that to compare lap times with my KRv4.1.

I suspect fully built it’ll cost me a similar number to complete so in the interests of science it’s be rude not to - at least that’s what I’ll they’ll the OH!

Luke