lukej

TB Evo 8

On 7/29/2022 at 4:04 AM, wtcc5 said:

I have wished for inserts on the upper bulkhead to adjust caster, but have seen nothing there.

Good, then you're not out of a job yet Kevin 😄

I personally really like the TB's. I suppose it'll be a small run, sold out before it even comes out?

• Haha 1

Wait for the $299 Tamiya USA blow-out sale.

• Like 1

I'll wait to see if there's a TB06 I think as this car will be big money, but I would like to add a shaft drive to my Tamiya touring car collection at some point (got a TA05 and a TA08 at moment).

I can't see the new Evo being quicker than a TRF420X though, but I bet it's going to be similar money (or more even!).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Good, then you're not out of a job yet Kevin 😄

I personally really like the TB's. I suppose it'll be a small run, sold out before it even comes out?

Nah.. There will be plenty of TB Evos.. it’s in essence a TRF and not they limited. It will also carry a heft tag.. so expect $1000-1200.

16 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

I'll wait to see if there's a TB06 I think as this car will be big money, but I would like to add a shaft drive to my Tamiya touring car collection at some point (got a TA05 and a TA08 at moment).

I can't see the new Evo being quicker than a TRF420X though, but I bet it's going to be similar money (or more even!).

I was surprised the 420X was released, I figured they would jump to 421 with the TA08 arms.. but it seems they played it safe and decided to do that with the TB Evo 8. 

I’d expect the Evo 8 to be around $100 less than 420X.. since 420X includes two chassis plates 

• Like 1

TTP have priced the TB Evo 8 at £625, which is £74 less than the TRF 420X I had off them.

Tamico have the 420X at €690 which is about £576, and the TB Evo 8 on preorder at £386ish so a good bit cheaper if you don’t get stung on import.

Luke

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 2:52 AM, 94eg! said:

Torque steer bro. Torque steer.

Don´t want to be picky my friend, just want to state that torque steer is not a special shaft drive problem, just the alignment of the motor in the car. And it´s totally uncritical to my experiences with stock class engines. Of course, in high power configurations it will have it´s effects, but both Awesomatix and Tamiya did adress it in their designs with switchable engine layouts....

On 8/3/2022 at 5:43 AM, ruebiracer said:

Don´t want to be picky my friend, just want to state that torque steer is noct a special shaft problem, just the alignement of the motor in the car. And it´s totally uncritical to my experiences with stock classes engines. Of course, in high power configurations it will have it´s effects, but both Awesomatix and Tamiya did adress it in their designs with switchable engine layouts....

Do you guys really think that the different amount of twist in the forward and aft prop shafts, when they have different lengths, would affect how the car drives? :S

12 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Do you guys really think that the different amount of twist in the forward and aft prop shafts, when they have different lengths, would affect how the car drives? :S

No, not me. Torque steer as I understand it is the reacting force of the motor spinning the case in the opposite direction of the rotor during hard acceleration. This leads in the end to different tire loads front to rear or left to right depending on which dierection the motor is aligned. The unequal tire loads can then give you effects on steering although driving in a straight direction. As this happens only on very hard accelerations with high torque involved it´s called "torque steer".

I hope I explained it good enough / understandable.;)

• Like 2

The more power you are able to put down, the greater the torque steer effect. Pro modified drivers most effected. Not something amateurs who don't know what tweak is really need to worry about (not saying you don't). But personally I don't see any reason not to run a belt car if it's an option.

My first season of racing I purchased a second hand 415-msx-mre cheap off rc-tech. Set the car up per the manual for the local 27turn parking lot races. Won the first race I entered (after performing mediocre with a used TA05R). I managed 2nd for the season to an expert level driver who wanted a sportsman class trophy for whatever reason (The announcer always mocked him as a sand-bagger).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 94eg! said:

I managed 2nd for the season to an expert level driver who wanted a sportsman class trophy for whatever reason (The announcer always mocked him as a sand-bagger).

Kinda surprised there weren’t forced upgrade guidelines in place. Like three top-threes or five top-fives gets the driver booted upstairs. But public heckling is a good substitute.

If such rules were in place, he would have sand-bagged himself around them. certainly made me a better driver though.

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 8/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, 94eg! said:

If such rules were in place, he would have sand-bagged himself around them. certainly made me a better driver though.

spacer.png

Great looking 415!

42 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Is anyone else seeing a potentially interesting shaft drive frontie if you remove the rear transmission and prop? 🤓

Interesting idea, you try it and let me know if it works 😉

Luke

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Is anyone else seeing a potentially interesting shaft drive frontie if you remove the rear transmission and prop? 🤓

Absolutely!

• Like 2

On RC tech it was already discussed, as some classes seem to forbid non factory rebuilts. With the design of the Evo 8, you just have to let out some things and get some blancing weights. Should work fine, why not? :D

Anyway, it´s an interesting design and I like it much more over the EV0 7. Total weight will be interesting. I´m still not convinced in general about the new Wishbone layout of the TA08, but I know the TA08 runs great. Just looks a bit clumsy with the upper links and adjustability is only camber. And the rear axle identical to the front with steering rods is nice for adjustability, but maybe not as stable as an classical layout. Actually, I really would like to test one myself one day. Actually, the latest TRF chassis were really good, and after years of Xray, AWE and MST some fellow racers in my area returned to some TRF´s with good success. So they seem to do their homework in Japan! That´s the good thing for me. :wub:

• Like 4