alvinlwh

Inflation vs spending

The return to selling cheap new 1:1 cars is going to be slow.  With the chip shortage, the manufacturers decided to put the chips they had into the most profitable and expensive vehicles  or trim levels of vehicles that could use them.  As they get new chips into the pipeline, they will work their way down the profitability scale, and the cheapest cars will be the last.  I think a lot of manufacturers may be really slow with the cheapest models, that may be profitable one week and not the next due to raw material prices messing up suppliers.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

The return to selling cheap new 1:1 cars is going to be slow.  With the chip shortage, the manufacturers decided to put the chips they had into the most profitable and expensive vehicles  or trim levels of vehicles that could use them.  As they get new chips into the pipeline, they will work their way down the profitability scale, and the cheapest cars will be the last.  I think a lot of manufacturers may be really slow with the cheapest models, that may be profitable one week and not the next due to raw material prices messing up suppliers.

There is one more problem, in the EU, extras like lane keeping (there are reports that this "safety" feature actually try to crash the car when lane markings disappear!), auto braking, auto speed limiter, etc are going to be mandatory for all cars. So manufacturers have no incentive in making small cheap cars anymore as all these "features" are going to push the price up. Some cheap cars in the city class had already dropped of the dealers' catalog. Now this is an EU thing, but stupidly UK decided to follow, even after Brexit. That is not what I voted Brexit for!

Also, I saw a video that auto makers are allowed a fixed amount of CO2 but somehow the calculation favours large cars. Not sure how that one works out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

If that's right, it will just make older cars without the tech in more attractive. I certainly wouldn't want an  automatic speed limiter on a car if I cheesed my fingers in the lathe and didn't want to wait 5 hours for an ambulance. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

wait 5 hours for an ambulance

And wait 12 hours in the ambulance outside A&E! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

And wait 12 hours in the ambulance outside A&E! 

Yeah welcome to the modern day United kingdom:( we had a bit of a scare with the mother in law she had a nasty fall I phoned for an ambulance I got told "is she breathing" yes I replied but keeps on going in and out of consciousness "ok its 4hrs for an ambulance" so I took her down myself that was 1.30am got to see a doctor 7.30pm the next day so that was approx 38hrs in the waiting area:unsure: I remember the good old day of waiting times of 5hrs! 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, moffman said:

"ok its 4hrs for an ambulance"

Actually depends on which part of the UK you are. Over here, we can track the ambulance.

t5q4zpF.jpeg

@moffman I am sorry to hear about your MIL.. hope she is okay.  

Stair cases are definitely something older folks need to watch out for.. me included.  :ph34r:

16 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@moffman I am sorry to hear about your MIL.. hope she is okay.  

Stair cases are definitely something older folks need to watch out for.. me included.  :ph34r:

Yeah she's a tough cookie thanks for the concerns it's very well appreciated! Everything is fine and back to normal thanks to the wonderful NHS they have been superb! (Its just the idiot's running the service is the massive problem)

• Like 2

My mum had a fall just over a week ago, she was told it would be 2hrs for an Ambulance ,even though she was laying in a main road. Luckily, an Ambulance went past, returning from a cancelled call , they stopped to pick her up. All in all, she was 40 mins, from falling, to getting taken to A+E and all X-Rays!! Can't complain at that tbh, but more luck than anything, (Although, she was 2 days in a corridor after that, waiting for a bed....) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

My mum had a fall just over a week ago, she was told it would be 2hrs for an Ambulance

Seriously?  That's insane.  

5 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Seriously?  That's insane.  

If its not life threatening, you're at the back of the que, if someone's having a heart attack etc, then they'd get the priority, although, I'm not sure how a 79yr old, with a broken pelvis, arm and shoulder would be, after 2hrs laying on concrete....(people in the houses came out, gave her a blanket, pillow etc though)

That was just over a week ago, and she was back at home friday, now gets 4 carer visits a day, got an electric chair (moves up and down, not a torture thing..🙄), had grab rails fitted in the bathroom and a physio visit everyday, so we can't really knock the NHS.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

If its not life threatening, you're at the back of the que, if someone's having a heart attack etc, then they'd get the priority, although, I'm not sure how a 79yr old, with a broken pelvis, arm and shoulder would be, after 2hrs laying on concrete....(people in the houses came out, gave her a blanket, pillow etc though)

That was just over a week ago, and she was back at home friday, now gets 4 carer visits a day, got an electric chair (moves up and down, not a torture thing..🙄), had grab rails fitted in the bathroom and a physio visit everyday, so we can't really knock the NHS.

Glad she's doing OK!

• Thanks 1

Now, taking into account the war and inflation of my country's currency, the price of sets has doubled in the last 5 months.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, SimTechRC said:

Now, taking into account the war and inflation of my country's currency, the price of sets has doubled in the last 5 months.

Ouch sorry to hear.   I see all these sale items at rcMart, but when I add the $100 freight (only option for kits) it just makes no sense buying from them unless no one else has inventory coming..  

9 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Ouch sorry to hear.   I see all these sale items at rcMart, but when I add the $100 freight (only option for kits) it just makes no sense buying from them unless no one else has inventory coming..  

Yes, I also immediately thought of ordering from them. But faced the same problem. And now it is very difficult to deliver something to Ukraine. Therefore, I periodically monitor rc-Kleinkram, with the hope that the M05 "in the bag" will appear there. From Germany with delays, but delivered to me.

18 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

RCMart is known for their rip off postage. Try Asiatee instead. For example, was browsing and did a trial checkout for a CC-01, will cost me £37 (about USD45?) for postage. RCMart wants USD77 for the same kit. 

7 minutes ago, SimTechRC said:

Yes, I also immediately thought of ordering from them. But faced the same problem. And now it is very difficult to deliver something to Ukraine. Therefore, I periodically monitor rc-Kleinkram, with the hope that the M05 "in the bag" will appear there. From Germany with delays, but delivered to me.

We stand with you man, keep safe!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

We stand with you man, keep safe!  

Thank you! Nice to know we're not alone. 

• Like 1