Gebbly

Aerial placement

With the older cars there used to be a tall 20-30cm rod to screw into the car and the receiver aerial was wound up around this rod. With the new 2.4Ghz radio equipment there are smaller aerials attached to the receiver and we dont need a long rod sticking out of the car.

Is there a particular approach to where you place these smaller aerials within the car? Would running the little aerial near the ESC cause interference? Would having it near the motor cause interference? Is it better being stuck to the top of the chassis rather than down the side? My particular receiver has 2 little aerials, each about 10cm long, would I be better running them in opposite directions or in the same direction? Should they run in straight lines? Would bending an aerial around parts of the chassis be bad? Should part of the aerial point upwards inside the body rather than just running horizontal?

At the moment I'm guessing I run one aerial forwards on the chassis and one backwards.

How do you fix the aerials in place? Stick them to the chassis with some sort of sticky tape?

I'm at the point of attaching the electronic components to the built chassis so want to get placement correct.

Don't matter so much with 2.4 as long as you do not leave them wrapped/bundled up. Some are so short that they don't even make it to where the tube is supposed to go. Just keep them fairly straight. I never had a problem with it being near the ESC. 

• Like 1

@Gebbly On my off-road cars I wrap the antenna in a small U shaped turn and just tape the end onto the chassis unless I can tuck it somewhere.  

On my onroaders (m-chassis) I run Futaba receivers without external antenna's..

• Like 1